Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

psych
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 3:41 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
It is sad that the government are destroying the benefits system.

Sue Marsh just wrote an excellent overview of what has just happenned, its shocking isnt it? :(

http://diaryofabenefitscrounger.blogspo ... nment.html

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2012, 5:30 pm

Just for clarity, there are no specific conditions that do (or do not) entitle you to disability or sickness benefits in the English system. It is down to severity of symptoms and how your condition affects you as an individual. However I do agree with the sentiments expressed that the WCA in its current format is deeply flawed and the way things are developing is very worrying.

EDIT - Actually, I think there may be one or two exemptions in relation to terminal illnesses such as cancer, but these are the exception rather than the rule

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:02 am

Thanks for the link.

The whole benefits system is more complicated than it needs to be.

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2012, 4:09 pm

Just how bad do you need to be to get it? It hasn't even crossed my mind because I wouldn't let my autism ever stop me from getting a job. It's just a shame the state of the country means people resort to being on benefits instead of doing something with their lives.

P.S - I'm not insulting anyone here. I understand severe people do need support. :)

psych
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 6:32 pm

DLA is awarded to people who can demonstrate that they require assistance for personal care or mobility. It is not an income tested benefit to support people who cant work, in fact many claimants do work. It definately doesnt imply that claimants dont do 'something with their lives'.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 7:18 pm

heard a lot of bad s**t about ATOS. such a travesty . From what i have heard, if you appeal you will likely win but obviously it is a really horrible situation to be put in in the first place.

If i'm honest that seems like pretty good money to me if the housing benefit covers your whole accommodation costs.

I live on £250/ a month after rent. I live in edinburgh, it is probably cheaper than london but not by a lot. I live comfortably but almost all my money goes on food and general maintenance type things. I don't have any money to spend on replacing broken things or luxury items other than some train tickets. I don't eat out or buy overpriced food/drinks. (they really add up) I do eat well though. I shop around but by now i know where to get what so it is easy. i would enjoy having a lot more money but i'm also perfectly ok with 250 a month

Sorry i don't mean to criticise. i'm sure you need the money. We all have different needs

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 8:43 pm

Not yet, I'm actually in the process of applying for SSI and it's looking bad.

I have an ADHD + GAD diagnosis, the psychiatrist that interviewed me agreed but said this is hard to get SSI for.

I know you said you're in the UK, so I really don't know about AS and the disability system there, but in the US, I do know that some autistic individuals are automatically approved and rarely have to through an appeal process.

Otherwise, it's very difficult. MANY people are denied, there's an appeal process and lots are then approved with a lawyer's help.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Willsmith12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 May 2012, 6:16 am

Thanks for Sharing it's not just allowance it's a better facility for Disabilities jobs worker because When any disabilities worker leave any care institutes.it's so Nice i like it.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 6:22 am

Frankie_J wrote:
Just how bad do you need to be to get it?

My brother gets it, which seems odd. He has far more independence than me and doesn't have the sensory overload issues. And he has no other disabilities alongside.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 6:42 am

WhiteWidow wrote:
It would be nice if you posted your rate.

I get 1305/month I use to get 1025 a month. Now I might be getting less but on a more secure basis or I'll stick it out with what I have now and hope they don't try and pry me off for any reasons...

That's pretty good. I think here in Ontario if you don't have any dependents, the most you can get is $1200 and even that's rare, most people get $1000 for basic needs and rent. I think if you don't have shelter covered it's only $500. Maybe I should have stayed in Calgary after all. Hmm, but then I guess Calgary is more expensive I suppose.