Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 6:31 pm

Too bad there's no way to cancel your account if you ever decide to. ^

to his Interest."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 7:28 am

what works for me and many others, are aerobics and/or interval training [calibrated sprinting] where you push your body to the limits of aerobic capacity [HUFF! PUFF!] for 30 seconds up to a minute or so, then you back off and rest for maybe twice that amount of time, repeat 10 times or so, on a daily basis. this has kept my pounds away for several years now.
one really needs to build muscles, they are your calorie burners. you don't need a fancy schmancy gym to do this, use use gravity and physical boundaries against one another- pushups, arches, crunches, chin-ups and variants of those basic exercises.
walking like you are seriously late for work or a meeting, for an hour every day, will also make the pounds go away. the key is to pick one and do it every day, rain or shine. or at least most days. ;)
anyways, if you live within easy reach of a lap-sized swimming pool, i can't think of a better exercise than swimming [as long as your shoulder joints are ok], it exercises your whole body, and combines anaerobic and aerobic benefits. jump-roping will do the same, if you don't have any joint problems. but for me, the only exercise i found that doesn't make my aching arthritic joints yell at me, is biking. i like biking up and down hills, this combines interval training, anaerobic and aerobic training in one fell swoop. but it needs to be noted, that although the vigorous exercise caused my weight to go down, my poundage didn't really stay down 'till i cut out anything white from my diet. purists won't like this, but i use lots of splenda sweetener, and avoid sugar like the plague. whole wheat, oats and brown rice are my new friends. no more red meat, but lots of fish and turkey/chicken, soy/tvp. lots of red beans, and a wide berth [cough/gag].

Desurage
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2012, 4:52 pm

Do your weight times 10
I'm 338(now) so 3.380 calories per day, this is a very quick BMR estimate.

This is not how much you eat. No. You eat 2000 calories per day. Then reduce by 200 everyday until you hit 1200, which is 400 per meal. Calories are easy to understand, just look at the package and measure out a serving size and thats how many calories per item you have. Get a little weight scale for the meat stuff. Buy Chicken Breasts(almost pure protein, other cuts are cheaper but more fattening), Ground Beef(lean is best but its more expensive), frozen veggies(no sodium, fresh is better if you are rich), Beans(beans are really healthy and cheap), Tuna(in water, also cheap and healthy, no more than one can a day though because mercury). Cottage Cheese and Greek Yogurt are good too. For good fats I eat half an avocado and a 1/2 cup of pistachio with shells a day which is 260 of my 1200 calories and both have protein in them.

This diet sacrifices nothing. I lost 30 pounds so far doing this.

As for exercise the important thing is that you can do it regularly, not so much the intensity. After four weeks of doing the same exact time/intensity/type you increase one of those three, as your body figures out how to do it more efficiently and it doesn't have as much impact anymore.

Sickpuppies124
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

Back in 2010 when I graduated from High-School I was 220 and 6 feet tall. From September 2010 to December 2010, I went on a workout routine that changed my life.

I cut out all sweets, grease, fats, and junk. I took one green tea pill a day, several glasses of water and lots of fiber and protein. By december I was down to 195 and after doing P90X in 2011, dropped down to 175. It's a pain to give up the junk food but fitness is all a matter of choice and luck. Depending on your body type and genetics, you will see varied results.

If you're trying to gain mass and lose the fat, workout 6 times a week. Do core(200 crunches a day, oblique V-ups, Flutterkicks) training daily in the morning and night, run 2-3 times a week till you puke or you get sick or have trouble breathing, and lift weights. I'd suggest you some workouts but you don't even need a gym member ship, just alot of willpower and a couple dumbells.

Good luck my friend.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 4:47 pm

Whenever I'm feeling hungry, and I know that I shouldn't be feeling hungry, I allow myself to eat as much sultana bran as I want to. Like, seriously, I let myself eat three bowls of the stuff if need be. However, it never comes to that. Whenever you allow yourself to only eat sultana bran for snacks, you quickly realise that you're not actually hungry, even if you think you are. You're just craving certain things that are not in sultana bran.

jackalan996
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2012, 12:33 am

Tips to loss weight:-

Daily 30 mints weight,
Walk for 1 km in the morning,
Use fruits and vegetables mostly instead of meat, chicken, fish or other fat foods,
Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water instead of soft drink,
Avoid smoking and other drugs,
Take proper rest

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:02 am

^^^
sounds good to me 8)
btw, hiya JackAlan996 :) and welcome to our neat little club!

V33X
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2012, 3:43 pm

I once read about in order to keep a fast metabolism, one must not eat big meals (consuming a lot at one time), but rather space out eating. Basically, eat all day, but not a lot at one time. Just my two cents.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 4:43 pm

Desurage wrote:
Do your weight times 10
I'm 338(now) so 3.380 calories per day, this is a very quick BMR estimate.

This is not how much you eat. No. You eat 2000 calories per day. Then reduce by 200 everyday until you hit 1200, which is 400 per meal. Calories are easy to understand, just look at the package and measure out a serving size and thats how many calories per item you have. Get a little weight scale for the meat stuff. Buy Chicken Breasts(almost pure protein, other cuts are cheaper but more fattening), Ground Beef(lean is best but its more expensive), frozen veggies(no sodium, fresh is better if you are rich), Beans(beans are really healthy and cheap), Tuna(in water, also cheap and healthy, no more than one can a day though because mercury). Cottage Cheese and Greek Yogurt are good too. For good fats I eat half an avocado and a 1/2 cup of pistachio with shells a day which is 260 of my 1200 calories and both have protein in them.

This diet sacrifices nothing. I lost 30 pounds so far doing this.

As for exercise the important thing is that you can do it regularly, not so much the intensity. After four weeks of doing the same exact time/intensity/type you increase one of those three, as your body figures out how to do it more efficiently and it doesn't have as much impact anymore.
I think this is the best diet plan so far. My suggestion is that you don't focus on the weight loss goal and instead try to eat more healthy, keeping in mind the effects that every food you eat have on your health. I am on a gluten free diet and I have lost a lot of weight, but I don't think that necessarily has to do with being on this diet. I don't avoid red meat because you need some of it to get your recommended iron intake. Drink either skim milk or 1% milk if you absolutely hate skim milk. Do not eat any fast foods (i.e. fries, burgers, even the salads might have very fattening dressing). Do not drink a lot of alcohol. Make most of your diet fruits and vegetables; eat fruits when you need a sugar fix. Fruits have fiber in them along with sugar, which helps digest the sugars. This is why eating/drinking anything with refined sugar/corn syrup is unhealthy; there is no fiber to accompany the sugars and they are way too concentrated for your body to digest them easily, so they are more likely to go into fat reserves instead. Avoid eating a lot of potatoes, corn, and white rice. I would suggest not to eat those commercial cereals, either, as they may have a lot of sugars added and may not be whole grain. Perhaps a gluten-free diet would be good but it's hard to get onto unless you have an actual allergy to gluten, where bad reactions to foods would be an incentive in itself.

I have lost a lot of weight with diet alone, without any purposeful exercise. Frankly, I'm not organized enough for that...

Oh, and also, no vending machine/convenience store snacks. Those are usually packed with fat. When I really want some, I go with the Lay's baked chips, which are I believe 40% less fat than their standard potato chips.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Last edited by MathGirl on 20 Mar 2012, 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 4:45 pm

I went to buy clothes this evening, and the changing rooms had three mirrors which let me see more of me than I usually do. Yikes!

I know that I've put on weight over the past year or so, but was horrified to see rolls of fat at waist level on my back! I didn't even try on most of the clothes, and will start my new regime tomorrow.

Plan is to eat more fruit and vegetables, cut out the biscuits, sweeties and chocolate and go for a good walk at least once a day. I don't have any scales so don't know how much I weigh (and don't really want to know either!). I'll go by how easily I can get into my clothes, most of which are too tight for me now. :(

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 8:44 pm

2 words: Tape Worm

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 2:09 am

VIDEODROME wrote:

:idea: but how hard would it be to get rid of, once the weight were lost?

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2012, 2:50 am

power yoga.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 11:12 am

I lost 20lbs in a month doing the following two things:

1. This was the hardest for me: Get out of the habit of eating until you're full, only eat until you're no longer hungry. Even if you still have a nearly full plate, just save the rest for leftovers.

2. Once you get through step 1, start eating more and more but smaller and smaller meals each day. My largest meal was eggs and toast in the morning, and whenever I'd get hungry throughout the day I'd just consume a shot-glass filled with almonds, a piece of fruit, or a small piece of beef jerky. If you do this right, you'll end up eating less calories than usual throughout the day but boost you metabolism.

I call it the Scavenger Diet.

Like I mentioned, I lost 20lbs in a month doing this, with minimal exercise (just about 20min a day riding my bike to and from work). This also led to the running joke in my lab that I was anorexic, given I'm 6'3" and 220lbs but ate less than anyone else working there that summer (even though I never starved myself).

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 11:39 am

eat right not a lot of fat or carbs yet don't go overboard, do some light weight lifting, 15 minutes HIIT Cardio every two-three days, try to relax and not stress yourself too much, and sleep on a healthy schedule. I have found when keeping track of weight it is best to only step on the scale once a week at most. A lot of times the scale isn't telling you everything you need to know, like things involving water weight, or if you are adjusting to your new weight and need time to lose more, and so on.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:

Never tried that, but I had great results with Crohn's disease. Lost 20 pounds in a week.