Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 8:08 pm

I found a job and I love it. And I feel so f---ng guilty about it right now. Guilty that I love the job when so many hate theirs. Guilty that I even have a job when so many do without. I even feel guilty about the money. I feel guilty (and worried) that I am good at my job in an age where it's better to be mediocre. I don't need the money, as my family would support me if I didn't work for the rest of my life for one thing.

I'm not asking anyone to cure my guilt. I'm just asking if this guilt is normal. That in itself would make me feel a lot better. It wouldn't make me less motivated because I love my work, and can think of nothing but finishing the task at hand when I'm doing it. It is just when quitting time rolls around, or when I need to step away from my desk to let my work ideas marinate.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 8:17 pm

Your thoughts are self-sabotaging and, in my view, wrong.

Lots of people would kill to be in your position. Enjoy it to its fullest and don't be a masochist and don't sabotage it by thinking of 'others'. Think of your own happiness. If you don't, someone else will take that job from you without a second thought.

Don't worry about other people - it is you that counts. Other people wouldn't worry so you shouldn't either.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 8:43 pm

Tequila wrote:
Your thoughts are self-sabotaging and, in my view, wrong.

Lots of people would kill to be in your position. Enjoy it to its fullest and don't be a masochist and don't sabotage it by thinking of 'others'. Think of your own happiness. If you don't, someone else will take that job from you without a second thought.

Don't worry about other people - it is you that counts. Other people wouldn't worry so you shouldn't either.

Aye, and also please ditch the idea that you should be mediocre, ar that that is something to aim for. It isn't. You should always aim high, and if you are having a blast doing what you do, then enjoy it.

You are very fortunate, and while I can understand, although not share, your feelings of guilt, they are misplaced. I retrained for a new career in my late thirties, I love what I do now, and have been quite surprised by how many people are pleased for me and celebrate that I love what I do, even though they aren't so fortunate.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 8:49 pm

This kind of thinking crops up sometimes with some sports figures or hollywood types. Someone has talent and is in the right place at the right time. Suddenly they're catapulted into great wealth.

This feeling isn't wrong exactly but there are different ways to respond. For example you're great at what you do then maybe you could be a mentor. Or volunteer to help people.

Or just pick a charity and contribute donations.

Otherwise it may just be interesting to contribute your experience on this forum. I mean here we have a successful job story so I wonder if people here could learn from you.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm

Sometimes you find the right situation with a job where you can contribute to society...

I make about twice what I did in my early 20's and at first when I got the job I had I felt guilty until I realized there reason that me as a misfit with a shady past was able to get this sort of job is because I was able to contribute...

chances are if you dont feel you deserve it yet its just because you dont know how awesome you are yet!

dont be mediocre just because punks these days are bitter and cynical... contribute contribute contribute... if that gets you gone you can make it clear that you got fired for being productive in a counter-intuitive environment!

think of it this way: if you fell in love with someone you just clicked with who made you feel like you had your perfect match... would you feel guilty for that?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm

Marcia wrote:
Aye, and also please ditch the idea that you should be mediocre, ar that that is something to aim for. It isn't.

It's like a self-inflicted "tall poppy syndrome".

Other people don't play by those rules (they say they do, but they are liars) so neither should you. All those guys who laugh at you and want you to feel bad about yourself? They would kill to be where you are now.

Now, what would you rather be - where you are or this guy?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 11:43 pm

You shouldn't feel guilty of loving your job. You should just enjoy it. :)

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 1:06 am

infinitenull wrote:
think of it this way: if you fell in love with someone you just clicked with who made you feel like you had your perfect match... would you feel guilty for that?

Come to think of it, the one time I was in a relationship made me feel insecure. I knew there were people other than myself that my partner could choose, and that he probably would at some point.

perpetualconfusion
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

lotuspuppy, Enjoy your new job :D . In fact, revel in it! 8) :cheers:

Speaking for myself, I would love to have a job I enjoyed. I have been in non-aspie compatible jobs for...... too long :doh: .
No excuse really :chin: . Not sure what I was thinking, but I digress.

In this economy, any job is good; a job you love is....priceless :wtg: ! !

Props to you :hail: .

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 11:35 pm

So today I feel like I'm doing a bad job at work. Maybe I just feel insecure about the whole thing.

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2012, 3:00 am

short answer: don't feel guilty.
I've been there, and dropped it/didn't go that route for other reasons.
if you feel guilty about "striking it rich" then find a way to "give to the poor"