Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

XxUnforgivenxX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2012, 4:25 am

Ok so recently i got my hands on a Limited edition of dark Souls for Xbox 360.
After tearing myself away from Skyrim long enough to give it a try :) I must say
i have never found a game that goes so much out of its way to induce controller throwing rage :evil: ,thankfully i am of a peaceful nature so my controller is still in one piece......
the wierd thing is as much as i want to tear my hair out and go running through the streets in my smallclothes screaming and cursing the creators for visiting this hell upon me.....

I just cant put the game down,the weapons and armors the combat mechanics etc are all so thoroughly well made and i love playing the game so much that it hasn't left my disc tray for a week now,which is just plain weird how can i hate it so much and yet love it as much or more that i just keep going back again and again and again...............and again even when i get killed for the sixth time by a certain enemy i am right back there trying to whoop its ass just one more time

Its kinda driving me insane i think it is probably the Worst game i have ever played but at the same time it is the best.......which is quite something considering i am a huge Elderscrolls and fallout fan which are probably some of the best rRPG experiences out there.
I can't figure out what keeps me going back,whether its the huge amount of satisfaction when you defeat an enemy a hundred times bigger and stronger or the beautiful game world or combat mechanics or the hundreds of unique weapons and equipment.

I would be interested to hear others opinions of the game.....did you enjoy it? or did you give up at the first boss etc.........

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 5:37 am

I haven't played Dark Souls yet. A while after it's release I did buy Demon's Souls though. I've only played it for a few hours (up to the second boss on the first world) and it wasn't particularly difficult, but what I liked about it was the atmosphere. It's such a dark environment. There are a lot of crazy characters roaming around. They don't quite seem human, even if that's what they are apparently meant to be.

One of the best features is the communication with other players. They're often really helpful and it keeps the game interesting.

The combat system is okay. Gets boring killing the same things over and over if you die. The game would be much better if you could set your own spawn points.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 6:17 am

I love the game. I am close to finishing it; I'm after the Bed of Chaos. So far I've found it easier than Demon's Souls but that's perhaps because I'm used to the gameplay of the Souls games. The only problems I have with it is the poor frame rate in Blighttown and the inferior 'matchmaking' system compared to the original. Other than that it is brilliant; incredibly polished and creative. The fight with Sif was easily my gaming moment of 2011.

shifftheboss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2012, 2:40 am

Good unique DAMNED DIFFICULT game.
I got to the Sen's Fortress boss, died over 50 times, sold it on ebay. 8O

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 4:17 am

Are you serious? The Sen's Fortress boss is the easiest in the game, with the exception of the teleporting demon that guards the entrance to the Tomb of the Giants. Simply circle around him at close range. Attack when his attacks miss you while he recovers. If you are using a shield, switch to two hands when you are attacking, then back to your shield when he recovers. Roll back away from him if he is about to grab you, but be mindful of what's behind you. Equip a weapon with a slashing motion rather than a poking one, ie a sword or axe rather than a dagger or spear, as you will likely strike between his legs with the latter.

Focus on one leg in particular. When he staggers, attack the other leg. He will fall to his knees, giving you plenty of time to attack him without fear of counterattack.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 5:04 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Are you serious? The Sen's Fortress boss is the easiest in the game, with the exception of the teleporting demon that guards the entrance to the Tomb of the Giants.

To be fair you have a My Little Pony avatar so your opinion is invalid.

shifftheboss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2012, 5:56 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Are you serious? The Sen's Fortress boss is the easiest in the game, with the exception of the teleporting demon that guards the entrance to the Tomb of the Giants. Simply circle around him at close range. Attack when his attacks miss you while he recovers. If you are using a shield, switch to two hands when you are attacking, then back to your shield when he recovers. Roll back away from him if he is about to grab you, but be mindful of what's behind you. Equip a weapon with a slashing motion rather than a poking one, ie a sword or axe rather than a dagger or spear, as you will likely strike between his legs with the latter.

Focus on one leg in particular. When he staggers, attack the other leg. He will fall to his knees, giving you plenty of time to attack him without fear of counterattack.

Yes, I was serious. I just nuked him to half health with magic until i was out of magic, then i got up close and got b***h slapped. game over. Too bad i sold it, sound like a good stagedy. I hope it comes out for pc.

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 8:28 am

I'm I right in thinking that this is a sequel to Demon's Souls? or am I derping.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 9:06 am

DanRaccoon wrote:
I'm I right in thinking that this is a sequel to Demon's Souls? or am I derping.

Not quite a sequel. Basically the same style of game set in a different world.

XxUnforgivenxX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2012, 9:21 am

shifftheboss wrote:
Good unique DAMNED DIFFICULT game.
I got to the Sen's Fortress boss, died over 50 times, sold it on ebay. 8O

I was lucky with that one i rolled through his legs and started hacking at his ankles when he turned around and backed right off the edge 8O :lol: i actually had more trouble getting to him because of the damn walkways with the swinging axes.

Im just fighting the Bed Of Chaos which is a little annoying i keep getting knocked through the holes in the arena while trying to get to him.Ive managed to get the two roots on the side done
but you think he will let me get near him now :evil: going to try again after posting this........

@Enigmatic_Oddity
The Fight with sif was also a highlight for me especially since i love wolves,
when i first saw the cutscene for his appearance i just went WOW awsome
at first i got whooped but now ive figured out that if you sprint/roll you can get under him and not be hit while you slash away so he is one of the easiest for me now

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
DanRaccoon wrote:

So like Final Fantasy sequels, none of them following on the story :3

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 6:50 pm

DanRaccoon wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
DanRaccoon wrote:

So like Final Fantasy sequels, none of them following on the story :3

Not quite like that either. Final Fantasy really changes things up with each sequel. The Souls games are basically slightly updated versions of themselves.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

22 Jan 2012, 6:50 pm

It's not that it's a hard game as much as it is about grinding and paying attention to what you're doing. Every enemy, bosses included, has a pattern that never changes. Memorize patterns. Grind like hell. If you're willing to run back and forth over and over and over again killing the smae enemies, it's not too hard. And get the right equipment for the right section. After beating the fourth boss totally overpowered, I quit playing. It doesn't keep my interest. But the game is far from anger-inducing for me.

XxUnforgivenxX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2012, 12:09 am

Finished bed of chaos AND Gwyn so basically finished the game,
playing new game plus to get a few things i missed like the rest of the weapons
for the Knights Honor Achievement.

The difficulty jump,as in how much damage you deal to enemies and how much they deal to you
seems to be high.............im back to having to watch myself in the Undead Burg and following areas
as just a simple enemy can kill me if it gets a few hits in whereas before i could just stand there for ages before my health needed healing i spent alot of time getting the timing right for parry/riposte on them and that helps though.

Just got OHK by the Hellkite tying to reach the stairs on the bridge :?
used to be i could survive three passes by that thing now i died on the first :)
i will try the Flame Stoneplate ring to get across next time.....

On the other hand though the bosses dont seem to have changed ive breezed through the first 4 without a scratch..........i actually OHK the taurus demon by falling attack off the tower he seems to only still have about 2500 hp.

going into the depths now to chop of the gaping dragons tail and get the last dragon weapon i need...

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

Wooooo DLC incoming!

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 5:16 pm

Serious? Thought they said no DLC? What is your source? Little late for me beat it when it first came out and I'm not one for DLC anyway.