What is 'going out' supposed to mean?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:50 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Depends on the context, but usually, if you say "I'm going out with xyz" it means that xyz is your boyfriend or girlfriend. But if you say "I'm going out with xyz tonight for dinner", it could just mean as friends.

Well said. Same thing as the definition of "hooking up", which has different meanings oddly enough.

EtiamTempus
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2012, 5:21 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Depends on the context, but usually, if you say "I'm going out with xyz" it means that xyz is your boyfriend or girlfriend. But if you say "I'm going out with xyz tonight for dinner", it could just mean as friends.

Well said. Same thing as the definition of "hooking up", which has different meanings oddly enough.

I respectfully disagree. The term "hooking up" usually implies either a single or multiple outings involving something more physical. I've seen the terms "hooking up" and "one night stand" more closely linked than "hooking up" and "dating".

These terms, however, having been used in so many different ways, there may no longer be a clear-cut answer. More likely than not, they are relative and it probably depends on how you see them.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 7:36 pm

EtiamTempus wrote:
Northeastern292 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

I respectfully disagree. The term "hooking up" usually implies either a single or multiple outings involving something more physical. I've seen the terms "hooking up" and "one night stand" more closely linked than "hooking up" and "dating".

These terms, however, having been used in so many different ways, there may no longer be a clear-cut answer. More likely than not, they are relative and it probably depends on how you see them.

I respectfully understand, and partially agree with your rebuttal. But at the same time, things do change over time, albeit slowly.