Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2012, 1:00 pm

I always have the subtitles on, except for the news, sports events, and reality tv coz I can't stand when the subtitles don't match the timing of the speaker.

Anyways, I started putting them on for several reasons. I got frustrated when I was watching something and everyone around was talking and I couldn't hear what they were saying.

Sometimes I can't understand what they are saying.

Other times I just like it coz I am such a visual person that I feel comfortable reading and seeing things that pop up on the screen, and in doing so I catch things that I miss.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 2:39 pm

Here in Finnland, almost everything is subtitled (except children's movies). But I do have problems understanding finnish or swedish movies, that of course are not subtitled

js3521
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2012, 3:23 am

I always use subtitles as well.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 3:27 pm

I keep the sound on, but often like to have the subtitles on as well, in case I don't catch something.

to his Interest."

Cutlass_Jack
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Feb 2012, 6:45 pm

The only problem I have with subtitles is that often times I find myself only reading the subtitles instead of watching what's going on the screen. Does anyone else have this problem?

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 3:10 pm

Gf is hard of hearing so I've gotten used to it to the point that it's now my preferred way to watch.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

caramel0
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2012, 5:04 pm

I have subtitles on for PC games but not on the tv:

-here at least the tv subtitles end up covering a decent chunk of the screen with a solid black background, and the text is gigantic. In games the subtitle text is a reasonable size and doesn't block out what is occuring behind it. Its like size 36 vs size 12 font.
-tv subtitles often end up out of sync with what is being said at the present time (either 10 seconds behind or ahead of itself), when I am attempting to hear all the words and only using the subtitles as a backup it does not help if the backup isn't present when its supposed to be. in games they're quite reliable.
-tv i have other sources to try to understand what they're saying (mouth movement, body language etc). in games its just the voice.
-in games when an NPC is speaking slowly and i've already read what they're going to say, I can just press enter to skip their line and speed it up :P

tl:dr subtitles on the tv get very annoying very quickly and this detracts from their purpose as an aid to understanding, games do it right.

TheFerretHadToGo
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2012, 7:57 pm

Cutlass_Jack wrote:
The only problem I have with subtitles is that often times I find myself only reading the subtitles instead of watching what's going on the screen. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes! Even when I clearly hear what´s being said my eyes are drawn to the subs.

Lynners
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2012, 5:38 pm

I remember doing this when I was a kid.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 9:09 am

I often use subtitles since it makes it easier to follow the plot of the movie since you remember what was said better if you read it along with hearing it at the same time.