Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Rai27
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2012, 9:49 am

I don't know if this has anything to do with Asperger's or autism but I have a problem with homework. I have never done homework or had any help getting it done, and my teachers think I don't care about it but I do. I just don't do it. I don't know if this is a choice or not - sometimes it seems like it is, sometimes it seems like it isn't. I know that homework is important and will help me get the grades I want, and I am also in top set. If I don't do the work I could get moved down even though I am capable of staying in top set, according to my teachers.

The problem is that I don't do it and I don't know why. Sometimes I am scared that I could get it wrong and/or it won't be good enough but that happens for classwork as well, and I do that most of the time. My Geography teacher thinks that I don't make the effort and he doesn't think I'm trying at all, even for classwork, and I know some of my other teachers think this as well. They don't think I care about school or grades but I DO care, and I do make the effort in class.
Anyone got any advice? Kicking my butt and saying 'just get it done' doesn't work - my teachers have tried that a lot.

AQ - 38
DREAMS>REALITY

Oslo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2012, 9:25 pm

What you describe could perhaps be caused by (some form of) executive dysfunction (which can affect those with Autism).

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm

I barely did any homework throughout high school. My grades were not bad, but they could have been better if I had done the homework. I felt that I spent so much time at school, so why should I have to do more work at home.

I;m in college now, and I'm still struggling with doing work outside the classroom, but I'm getting better. I want to get to grad school, so I'm definitely going to need to have the drive to do all the work. I now realize how important it is.

Sorry, I didn't really have anything useful to tell you.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/