Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm

I don't have any friends. I talk to my mother and sister almost daily but rather than having it be a sort of a mutual enjoyment sort of thing I think they just listen to me because they know I have no one else to talk to. I have a partner but he says he has a low "mental stamina" meaning he can only handle minimal amounts of my kind of talking (I think thats the case for most people). I want to share with people but whenever I try to connect with someone and share something I end up boring them or they only want to hear minimal details.

I'm left with a feeling of being disconnected. I overwhelm people before I ever get the chance to express myself and get stuck with a terrible feeling that I dont know what to do with.

Can anyone relate?

Does anyone have any tips for either getting over these disconnected feeling or expressing things in a way that doesnt bore the other person but allows me to express myself?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 10:12 pm

Do you keep a journal, diary, or book-of-days?

Pouring out their hearts in their own handwriting seems to keep a lot of people from feeling "disconnected".

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 10:21 pm

I can totally relate.

I don't have any friends (outside of internet) now either, except my husband and I'm wary about how much I load my interests and issues on him.

I do have some acquaintances, but no one I can really talk to deeply about much.

I've been using this forum as my social connection.

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 11:27 pm

Yeah-- I can relate. Even with the handful of people I call family and friends, there's this feeling that I just don't fit. I've stopped trying to do anything about it or worrying about it-- I just figure it's part and parcel of AS and that's the way it is.

I write things down a lot. Then if they come up in conversation with the few people I talk to, if I'm really lucky I can say them concisely enough that I don't wear out their patience before I get my point across.

It's tiring, and time consuming. As I get older and have more kids, I find it's easiest to just talk less.

Trying to learn to cultivate silence and completion within. Not, like, "I need no one, I am an island." That just makes me angry. More like, "I am a tree. I stand here with other trees and watch the world go by. Squirrels like to hide nuts in my leaves. I am a tree."

Like-- I am connected with Life. That's connected enough.

I don't think it's going to work very well. Lonely.

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2012, 11:42 pm

I like the connected with life idea BuyerBeware. Changing the way you think is very effective. I think I'll hold on to the squirrel and tree image :)

I haven't written in a journal for a while. I'll give that a try and see if it helps