Ergonomics; or Human-Computer Interaction; or Human Factors

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TheAmoralist
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2012, 2:41 pm

For about the past year or so, I have had this mission or goal in life, for the benefit of all of humanity, to give the human brain an "interface", and find the best practice for using our brains. I have a vision for it's huge potential, and the impact on how we use technology. We could operate mecha (the future of unmanned vehicles, right?), diagnose every neurological disorder near-instantly, find what niche an individual will perform best in, develop a kind of "quality control" for the mind, and much more. I don't see myself anyone else doing this alone in a short period of time, of course. It would be a long research goal - something like the 100-year Star Ship Program? Hopefully at least half the time, though. Anyway, this goal is dependent on my academic goals. After I get a transfer from community college, I hope to get a B.S. in Psychology - Concentration in Ergonomics; then transfer to either UCSD or Rochester Technical Institute and get a MS in Cognitive Science (w/ HCI), or MS in Applied and Experimental Engineering Psychology. None of this is in stone, of course. What inspires me to do all of this is mostly what I've seen from Star Trek. Though, I'm not a die-hard fan like some of you. I'm not yet able to post links, but there's a 3 part video on youtube that might better illustrate my goals: Search: "sci fi human computer interaction"

Does anyone else here have an interest in ergonomics, HCI, or human factors engineering? Been through a course, or hope to earn a degree related to?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm

First you have to determine how the brain translates thought-words into speech. Then you'll have to determine an effective and efficient means of performing that translation with technology.

For instance, when you think of the word "cat", what mechanisms are employed by the brain to produce the spoken word "cat"?

Where along that chain of events could the word "cat" be intercepted and reproduced audibly through a sound system?

Even more important, how would the user switch this function on and off, so as not to flood his or her immediate environment with every sound, phrase, and word that floats through their brain?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 7:56 pm

Oh, the joys of our footer with "similar threads."
Yes, I have a strong interest in ergonomics. I held out for a chord keyboard for years before settling for Dvorak to begin using PCs. I have sketches for a musically-oriented keyboard with grooves for each digit lined with rows of sensors, and master controls under the heel of the hand.
My vocation in Human Power involved ergonomics as vital. For a maximum sprint, I designed a hand and foot pedal system with steering accomplished by rotating the handgrip in the axis of the forearm, like a screwdriver, providing excellent isolation of the power and control functions.
Re: Human Factors - "Every year we make it more idiot-proof, and every year, they make a better idiot."

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 2:32 am

Dear_one wrote:
Oh, the joys of our footer with "similar threads."
Yes, I have a strong interest in ergonomics. I held out for a chord keyboard for years before settling for Dvorak to begin using PCs. I have sketches for a musically-oriented keyboard with grooves for each digit lined with rows of sensors, and master controls under the heel of the hand.
My vocation in Human Power involved ergonomics as vital. For a maximum sprint, I designed a hand and foot pedal system with steering accomplished by rotating the handgrip in the axis of the forearm, like a screwdriver, providing excellent isolation of the power and control functions.
Re: Human Factors - "Every year we make it more idiot-proof, and every year, they make a better idiot."

Always wanted a DVORAK!! ! :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 4:36 am

slave wrote:

You can probably find it in your keyboard settings for different countries.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 7:54 am

The original post was 2012

It is now 2019

How is your degree going?

My BA is UCSD , cognitive science

That BS got me nowhere

Although that could be because:

Homophobic discrimination

Personality disorders

Lethargic

Lazy

Take your dog to work day

Or any other reason

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 5:11 pm

Dear_one wrote:
slave wrote:

You can probably find it in your keyboard settings for different countries.

Indeed, I know it is there, I've just never bothered to re-arrange the keys on my existing QWERTY board. :lol:

One day, I may buy a purpose built DVORAK...they are avail. iirc.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 5:20 pm

I went about two decades just touch typing with Dvorak. Now I have rearranged the key caps myself. It was easy to do when cleaning. They are not all at an even height, but that is no problem.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 3:08 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I went about two decades just touch typing with Dvorak. Now I have rearranged the key caps myself. It was easy to do when cleaning. They are not all at an even height, but that is no problem.

Makes sense. :)

I do think the variable height might bug me, that's why I'll either get a factory Dvorak or stick with the much slower QWERTY.