smart people never think that they are smart ?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 11:16 pm

probably 99 out of a hundred smart persons i've encountered knew damned well they were damned smart and would never let me forget that they were smarter than me by a country mile. :x
half of the remaining one out of a hundred smarties [for various reasons] didn't know they were smart, and the other half out of a hundred knew they were smart but were pious god-fearing types who would take pains to be constructively kind to others who weren't as sharp as they were.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 5:07 pm

fraac wrote:
Smart people know it's called the Dunning-Kruger effect.

We never hears of it. We doesn't wants to hears of it, precious. Doesn't wants to waste thinking spaceses on silly Dunning-Kruger effectses.

The year is still young.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 12:52 am

I iz not stuped, I iz very smarrt an intellyjint. I gotz a gud umacayshin an my teechurs tot me lotza tings.

:duh: :doh: :duh:

Well, people have said I'm intelligent. It's been a long time though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 12:59 am

me learn talk purty one day :nerdy:

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 7:09 am

I know I am smarter than stupid people
and I know I am stupider than smart people

the curse of the middle man

:cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 3:58 pm

I was told I was "smart enough" but I don't feel that way in general. what IS "smart enough"?

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 6:10 pm

I realized I must actually be smart just recently, after I took an exam that I considered easy (especially since we all knew the exam question a week before the exam) and nearly everyone around me suddenly started complaining that it was the hardest exam ever and they think almost noone is going to pass it.

There is no results yet but from what I see it really seems like a lot of people is going to fail - they were unable to make the example work although they took their time to learn all the basics and they knew the question in advance.
I know I am going to be one of the few who pass because my method ended up working fine and I met all expectations listed in the exam paper.

They just couldn't use the knowledge they owned to solve a practical issue. The example itself was not hard at all, it required very basic knowledge that all students had. The problem was that some logical thinking was also required to solve it and plain book knowledge without thinking was ineffective.

I knew I am quite smart for a long time before. There is no other explanation of how easy I find some things others consider hard and how fast I can solve issues using MacGyverisms since very young age. But the last exam hit me a lot. I literally started to wonder "Are they really THAT stupid or I am some kind of genius?". 8O

BTW. About the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2 ... ger_effect - "highly skilled individuals tend to underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.". I think this way till I am proved wrong. I underestimate my abilities often, especially before exams which I suppose to be hard. I study a lot and still think "I know nothing. I should know way more. I don't understand anything! Its too hard!" but... when the actual exam come and I see the questions I am like "Hey! I know all of this!" and I end up getting an A. :lol:

Last edited by Kiriae on 21 Jan 2015, 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 6:14 pm

^^^
I would guess you answered my question about "what IS smart enough?" it should be noted here, that not all of us aspies have the logical gene.