Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

hisjen
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2012, 9:23 pm

We both joined today because she is hoping to find some new friends and I am looking for support. Her user name is Ame_Neko, I'm sure you will see her posts around the teen section as she is 13.

So here is our story:

From birth "Ame" has shown signs of Aspergers Syndrome, before we even knew the diagnosis. It was very difficult to get any teacher, family member or professional to listen to us, though. We heard all the horrible and slightly ignorant statements about what's "wrong with her" or how we could discipline all that bad behavior right out of her. The truth is we just wanted people to hush and let her be a kid. So what if she dances around classrooms or sings and clicks her tongue while concentrating. Who wasn't scared of really loud sounds and hated the dark as a child? She was just socially awkward and needed a bit of patience from teachers and adults. The reality was that she needed help and we just didn't understand what kind of help she needed.

By 3rd grade the school had had enough of her behavior and out bursts and said she would need to be medicated or have a proper diagnosis to start an IEP. So we gave in and looked into getting a diagnosis. We knew she was hyper so we figured it would be one of those dreadful "zombie" drugs (like ridoline sorry spelling). The doctor kinda shocked us with the AS diagnosis and explained it further. It really made sense and we were just amazed. Like it was sitting there under our noses the whole time. We were excited and began doing our research and letting everyone we knew in on the info. What hurt us all a lot is that most of our family didn't really support the idea. We were just "grasping for a diagnosis", was often stated. But that wasn't the worst of it. 5th and even 6th grade in a new school, just got worse for her. The bullying was intense (mostly non-verbal stares and facial expressions, things that would cause an outburst). We tried to get the school to educate students on AS and other Spectrum disorders and how bullying can be worse for children with special needs, but it didn't help. Even teachers were useless. The counselors understood but were helpless.

Finally, this year, she started online schooling from home and what a difference. She's no longer forced to deal with bullying just to get an education. The major down fall has been the lack of socialization, but that wasn't helped by a major move. We are currently working on building new relationships and finding friend for her. With the onset of puberty and intensified anxiety issues she's really been struggling with getting out and about, as well as trying to meet new people. This is why we have decided to join this website and make new friends!

A quick about me, since I know it's not all about the bad stuff. I'm 33, and I stay at home to educate my daughter. She's the only one. My husband and I have been married for 14ish years (terrible memory here lol). I'm a big gamer and I love movies too. Okay, I'll hush now since this is getting very long.

Glad we joined!
Jen

lonestar473
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

Hello :)

From one newbie to this site to another!

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 10:50 pm

I'm new here too, and actually just joined myself. Welcome.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 4:36 am

Welcome.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 9:09 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 11:04 am

Welcome :)

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Jan 2012, 1:11 pm

Let me extend a warm welcome to both of you two. :king:

Ame_Neko
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2012, 10:22 pm

Hello, I'm Stephanie. That's my real name. On the internet I always refer to myself as 'Ame'. Thanks for the warm welcomes! :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 8:56 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage

AliTatt
Raven
Raven

30 Jan 2012, 8:11 am

Welcome to WP Ame and Jen (:

Your Aspie score: 158 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 9:14 am

Welcome

quirkyandlaughing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2012, 3:52 pm

hisjen wrote:
Finally, this year, she started online schooling from home and what a difference.

Good for you! It sounds like she's lucky to have you. An welcome :)

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 5:04 pm

welcome to you both(:
you sound like a lovely family. i hope your daughter makes some friends here or at least feels a bit less lonely