Can you explain this phenomenon in older married couples?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 6:16 am

Awww! I think it's really cute! It makes me think, "Wow, they must love each other a lot, and have probably been with one another for quite a long time!"

I hope I have a hubby to match clothes with when I'm married and older. But not all the time, just on sunny days when we can go to the park and have a sandwich, or go for a stroll along a forest-y, but still side-walked path. Or if we have grand-kids, and the matching clothes helps them keep track of us.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 6:44 am

I've been with my husband for 22 years. There are a few times when we've appeared to be dressed identically (or almost). I went through a phase of wearing t-shirts with prints of wild animals, my husband did too (and he's still in the phase). So, for a while we were often wearing jeans and a t-shirt with a wolf print. We also had almost identical winter denim jackets. I liked his, as it was cosy, so I saw one and bought it for myself. We're not deliberately trying to look like one another, but when you're in the company of someone for so long, it's almost inevitable, especially if the woman isn't girly.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 8:21 am

blue_bean wrote:
They probably don't even realise they look the same :P. It's just a testament to how long they've been together and how like each other they've become.

They could also be the kind of couple that do leisure/sport activities together and they're simply wearing club/team shirts. Or they could run a family business together and the clothes they're wearing is work uniform.

Over time, the personality traits of each other blend into one another, and I've noticed this even with the bad. They think alike as one, though separate--- interesting. I've seen this aspect of it in others, but I've never seen this fashion meld.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 7:03 pm

Maybe they think it's cute. My husband and I usually wear Alabama t shirts on game day, and my daughter and her fiance wear Auburn ones on their game days.

Nobody down here wears LSU very much though. ;-)

As for the matching outfits nor for special occasions, there could be lots of reasons. Maybe they like the same style, or think it looks cute to match. Maybe the woman does most of the shopping and because she likes jeans and tshirts, or khakis and polo shirts she also buys them for her husband.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 11:40 pm

My clothes always used to get worn by who I was seeing, though I don't remember ever being asked if an item could be borrowed. It just seems to happen. It is rather unfair when you consider that I can't really get away with wearing anything that the average woman wears. Still, it feels good when you have a loved one wearing your stuff, though that probably explains where some of favorite things have disappeared.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 12:06 am

Birds of a feather flock together.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 12:34 am

I used to know a dear older couple who often wore coordinating outfits. When asked, he said he only trusted her to pick out his clothes because he had no sense style. It was true. She got Alzheimers and died. His wardrobe suffered greatly until he remarried. I don't think either wife minded or felt ruled. For a man of his age, he was unusually not domineering like that.

Would you be happier if people clashed? Or perhaps symmetry bothers you? I get that.

I care for my dad and pick out all of his outfits, making sure he showers every other day. He could care less and if left to himself, he'll wear the same thing for a week which is gross because he scratches skin off in hunks and bleeds everywhere. I'm not much into style myself but I can match any shirt with a pair of black or navy pants. When we go out into the world I tend to put him in a red shirt - in case he starts scratching.

I wear red on Fridays to honor those who serve in the U.S. military. I wonder what people think when my dad and I match. Hahahahahaha!