Crossing the road when you see someone in front

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Transhuman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2012, 5:53 pm

Can anybody relate to this? I usually cross the road when I see somebody walking in my direction. By 'in my direction' I mean the way that we're facing each other. If I don't cross the road, I usually end up instinctively trying to get at least a few meters away from them, to the point that I often hit the building which is in front of the sidewalk.

NathanealWest
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2012, 6:24 pm

Yeah I can relate to that.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2012, 6:33 pm

I also do this.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 6:43 pm

I used to do that when I lived in a rough area, to give me a chance to run from trouble I suppose.
However, I also did it out of respect for any lone female walking towards me as I thought if I crossed the road it would give her the signal I was not a threat.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 6:55 pm

I wouldn't do it because they might guess I was crossing to avoid passing them, and that would bother me more than actually passing them. Certainly I would feel like crossing the road.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2012, 6:56 pm

i dont make eye contact.
i also hate when people walk behind me. i have to move aside and let them walk past me so they are walking ahead of me.

lonerespite
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2012, 11:39 pm

Belushi87 wrote:
i also hate when people walk behind me. i have to move aside and let them walk past me so they are walking ahead of me.

i usually feel the same, but interestingly while im driving too i always get anxious and irritated when someone keeps driving behind me and i slow down and allow them to pass..

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2012, 11:44 pm

hmm....
i have cossed the road without looking before and had the therpist youth worker have to either grab me and stop me from crossing futher or pull me back, somtimes when im in overload mode im not very aware.

when im out with pepole like the therpist youth worker they allways have to walk infront of me, or go up the stairs first, or down first, or get on a bus first, or in a car first, or trhough a door fisrt, or in a evelvator or on a esculator first... etc...

im not sure if its to do with autism, im moderete low functinging autistic.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 7:09 am

I don't know about this. But I know I hate it there's someone walking a few yards in front of me and we are both approaching a crossing and they press the button first then the cars stop and the person crosses then by the time I get there the traffic lights are just about to go green again and the cars get ready to move, and I never know whether to wait or to go. I know that I always do the wrong thing: if I wait I could have gone across and so look stupid, if I go the cars are about to move and have to stop dead and probably stall. So I never know what to do, it's a dilemma. And where I come from, there are so many aggressive people about that when you do something stupid you get drivers bibbing angrily at you - even bus-drivers do.

Everybody I know hates it when that happens with crossings, but the anxiety affects me more because I know I always do the wrong thing and get more sensitive when I make a fool of myself or I feel embarrassed quicker and can't seem to get over it for days.

KickingBird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2012, 7:34 am

nintendofan wrote:
hmm....
i have cossed the road without looking before and had the therpist youth worker have to either grab me and stop me from crossing futher or pull me back, somtimes when im in overload mode im not very aware.

when im out with pepole like the therpist youth worker they allways have to walk infront of me, or go up the stairs first, or down first, or get on a bus first, or in a car first, or trhough a door fisrt, or in a evelvator or on a esculator first... etc...

im not sure if its to do with autism, im moderete low functinging autistic.

This has not much to do w/ this topic of this thread but I am just courious about your signature.

It says moderate to low functioning autism. I use to reun a personal care home and cared for an autistic man (Tony). He did not talk and would throw temper tantrums and stuff. At the time, I was new to doing that type work and did not know much about autism. He facinated me.

I have seen shows on tv which showed autistic people that did not speak and acted odd but cometo find out, once you put them on a computer they had avove normal intelligence.

Do you talk? I saw your wonderful art so, I know you are a very talented person. Do you just get too wrapped up in your thoughts to be able to function as so called normal?

I am not making fun of you or trying to single you out. I just find it so intersting that you can be such an awesom artist but, yet, be low functioning.

I think I have Asperger's. I wish I and my parent knew about this many years ago. My whole life has been heel because I was misunderstood, my whole life. I think someone who has a more severe handycap, might not have it as hard sometimes because people can look at them, an know they are different because of XY or Z. With me, I was percieved to be like everyone else but weierd in that I chose to be weierd so, it was my own fault. It was my fault that kids picked on me, it was my fault that I did not follow directions. Etc. I know I am starting to ramble now.

I know I am not on the same spectrum as you but feel like I might could learn so much from someone like you, in that you have stronger ( I have word use problems and can't even think of the word) but you might can help me understand what is going on in my own brain.

If you ever need someone to talk to or just want to chit chat, or answer some questions of mine in trying to figure out why I look at the world in the way that I do, feel free to message me.

I guess that even though I am not autistic and might have Asperger's, I can sooo relate to a lot of things that you say.

Ok, I am done, maybe I should have messaged you and told you this in private. I don't know. Just ignore me, if I am being inappropriate even though I do not mean to me. I am on a difficult quest right now, an not sure where to find the answers.

Ok, carry on, people LOL

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2012, 9:41 am

KickingBird wrote:
This has not much to do w/ this topic of this thread but I am just courious about your signature.

It says moderate to low functioning autism. I use to reun a personal care home and cared for an autistic man (Tony). He did not talk and would throw temper tantrums and stuff. At the time, I was new to doing that type work and did not know much about autism. He facinated me.

oh ok

KickingBird wrote:

I have seen shows on tv which showed autistic people that did not speak and acted odd but cometo find out, once you put them on a computer they had avove normal intelligence.

hmm ok, i taught myself (took years) how to type on the computer. and how to write to say what i want.

KickingBird wrote:

Do you talk? I saw your wonderful art so, I know you are a very talented person. Do you just get too wrapped up in your thoughts to be able to function as so called normal?

not much, no. i can only verbaly speak words to my mother and younger brother because they have been with me and helping me for alot of years.. (im 17) . whenever i try to verbaly speak to other pepole i meltdown. because its imposible for me. [/quote]

KickingBird wrote:

I am not making fun of you or trying to single you out. I just find it so intersting that you can be such an awesom artist but, yet, be low functioning.

one of the main reasons is because both of my parents were/are very talented artists.
it took me years to learn drawing propley... i used to have to hold pencils with special grips, i didnt realy start getting "good" at drawing unitl a couple of years ago.

KickingBird wrote:

I think I have Asperger's. I wish I and my parent knew about this many years ago. My whole life has been heel because I was misunderstood, my whole life. I think someone who has a more severe handycap, might not have it as hard sometimes because people can look at them, an know they are different because of XY or Z. With me, I was percieved to be like everyone else but weierd in that I chose to be weierd so, it was my own fault. It was my fault that kids picked on me, it was my fault that I did not follow directions. Etc. I know I am starting to ramble now.

it wasnt exactly as simple as "might not be as hard for them" because knowone understood me, i shown all the serieos signs of autism right through school, at home my parents were to busy to notice, the teachers at school were extremely ignroant, i was punished for meltdowns, until 1 day at school a therpist walked in and as soon as she got through the door of the room i was in she said "autstic" . i had official testing, low functinging. i cant realy spell, i was pused around and beat up at schools because i was diffrent. because i "started screaming and hitting myself for no reason" .

KickingBird wrote:

I know I am not on the same spectrum as you but feel like I might could learn so much from someone like you, in that you have stronger ( I have word use problems and can't even think of the word) but you might can help me understand what is going on in my own brain.

i guess that is a "compliment" , i am yet to understand my own mind .

KickingBird wrote:

If you ever need someone to talk to or just want to chit chat, or answer some questions of mine in trying to figure out why I look at the world in the way that I do, feel free to message me.

i supose i could help you with some "questions" but im not sure how

KickingBird wrote:

I guess that even though I am not autistic and might have Asperger's, I can sooo relate to a lot of things that you say.

thats because you are autistic, if you have aspergers i mean it is still part of autism, just milder.

KickingBird wrote:

Ok, I am done, maybe I should have messaged you and told you this in private. I don't know. Just ignore me, if I am being inappropriate even though I do not mean to me. I am on a difficult quest right now, an not sure where to find the answers.

Ok, carry on, people LOL

its ok i dont mind, you should talk to a therpist or whoever might be testing you, they should know more.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 10:10 am

I hate walking towards people. It feels like an awfully long time until I'm finally past them, and the entire time I have to try and appear normal and non-threatening. I'm also afraid it might be somebody that I know who will be upset if I walk past without greeting them or even looking at them. But I don't cross the road, because that would appear even weirder.

I also hate walking behind or in front of someone. If someone walks behind me, I walk faster to get some distance between them and me. But walking behind someone is worse. I panic and start to breathe faster, and then I'm afraid that they can hear my breathing and might think that I'm some kind of pervert or something, which makes me panic even more. Sometimes I turn around and walk in the opposite direction for a while, just to get out of this situation.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

I do sometimes cross the road if there are a group of teenagers coming towards me, since I know that teenagers seem to enjoy making other youngsters walking on their own feel insignificant. Usually girls glare at me and boys make stupid noises when they pass, or shout something like ''hello sexy'' when they don't really fancy me they're just taking the piss probably. Anything to humiliate me. But anyway, so yeah, that is why I cross the road.

I don't think it makes me look weird, I could be crossing the road for a genuine reason, and besides, often I see people crossing the road before passing me, as if they can't be arsed to walk by me, but then again it might just be for a reason. I don't really care really.