Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2012, 8:43 pm

I love it when horror movies give NO warning before a jump scene. No music. Nothing to warn you beforehand. And I also love the ones that mess with your head, like turn something ordinary and part of everyday life into your worst nightmare. I like when it doesn't have cliches like: stupid chick who's kind of a Slot (spelled it wrong on purpose) dying first, or any minorities dying first. I also love it when the actors and actresses are amazing at what they do: the guys don't sound dumb and the girls aren't all whiny.
What do you guys think? What do you guys like in a horror movie? any horror movies that are the perfect horror movies? I found that older horror movies are MUCH better than modern horror movies, even though they don't have as advanced special effects as we do now.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

MovieCriticGamer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2012, 10:22 pm

Aliens, creatures, terrorists can make a GOOD horror film.

Terrorist - Criminals who rob for money and attack people. Probably poor choice for making the best horror film.

Aliens/Creatures - PERFECT CHOICE. Running Away and trying to fight back.

Zombies - EPIC. Running zombies make the horror film more intense.

I also like how there can be only one or two survivors be left alive, or their fates unknown before the film ends.

That's what I'd like in a horror film.

Your friendly movie critic gamer.

A light heart carries you through all the hard times.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2012, 10:52 pm

I love many types of horror.

I enjoy good hand done makeup on the victims and killers.

Plus I need to care about a character. I can either love or hate them but when I'm just indifferent then I can't get into it. (That stands for most genres though.)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 10:56 pm

Suspense, building to the climactic scene of unremitting violence and terror, then the end ...

... or is it?

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 7:25 am

theaspiemusician wrote:
I love it when horror movies give NO warning before a jump scene.

I prefer it when they don't have any jump scenes at all. Jump scenes are the cheapest way of scaring someone, they require no imagination to create and are just annoying to me as the viewer.

MovieCriticGamer wrote:
Aliens, zombies

Extremely cliché.

KayMiller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2012, 7:54 am

I love the more supernatural eerie horrors, which is probably why I like some of the Japanese films. I also like the ones with a strange but brilliant twist at the end.
I do watch the ones with people usually teenagers falling over for the millionth time whilst being chased by some weird creature as I find they all deserve to get eaten. (due to their obnoxious behaviour or bad acting skills.) And please, how many times have a I heard the spooky music, dark room, something is going to jump out.....oh it's a cat...again. :roll:

JeffDmetalgod
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

Atmosphere for me not a bunch of high speed CG violence. I need something to set a creepy mood. My fave horror films tend to be older films. Lucio Fulci's The Gates of hell is like watching a nightmare, also knows as City of the living dead. Let's Scare Jessica to death is another creep fest. The only modern horror film I enjoyed recently was Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

Scary antagonist, regardless if it's a psycho killer, monster, zombie, of ghost.
Protagonist that you care about, and whose peril you can feel.
Growing sense of dread, ending in a crescendo of terror.
Add to that a good story.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 4:25 pm

To me, there's a huge difference between being started and horrified. Plenty of movies have startling moments, but that alone doesn't qualify it as a Horror flick for me.

It takes quite a lot for a true horror movie to impress me. Blood and guts won't do it. If it's too fictional (Nightmare on Elm Street, the Jason flicks, Chainsaw Massacre (any of them), Saw...) it doesn't impress me. The more true to life it is, or the more it rings true to real life sick human psyche's, the more it scares me.

IMHO, "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is the most horrifying film I've seen lately. THAT movie gave me nightmares, because it COULD have actually happened (even though it didn't).

The trick for me is, don't try to make fake look real. Take what IS real, and write me a story out of that. That is true horror.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

TheFerretHadToGo
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2012, 7:00 pm

I like the concept of Invasion of the Body Snatchers; you don´t know who you can trust anymore, even your friends and family turn against you. Since I´ve hade problems with paranoia this is very real and scary to me.

Btw I prefer the original 50s version, although the 70s version is scarier. The 90s version was a disaster.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 11:08 pm

Carnival of Souls