Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CozPoz2802
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2012, 5:43 am

I was just wondering if anyone did, as I was curious, and can you explain what it feels like to you if you do? Like what they say and what it's like to hear them, that sorta stuff...if you don't mind of course.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 7:26 am

I was paranoid for a while when I was on L-dopa. (My neurologist misdiagnosed me with Parkinson's disease, but it turned out that my Parkinson symptoms had been caused by a short-term maltreatment with haloperidol in a psychiatric clinic. Long story. Taught me not to take any meds unless they're absolutely necessary for my survival).

I didn't hear voices back then, but I often had the impression that wind or car noises sounded like mocking voices and insults. Also, if people were talking at a distance and I couldn't understand what they were saying, my mind interpreted all kinds of hurtful things into their distant murmur. I was fully aware that I was imagining all this, but it still terrified me and added to my anxiety. Luckily these auditory symptoms went away after I got off L-dopa.

I don't know if this is in any way similar to the experience of people who hear voices loud and clear. But I could imagine that in their case, it is also a misinterpretation of environmental noises as human voices. I think it helps a great deal to remind yourself that your mind and your senses can trick you, and always ask yourself if the things that you hear make any rational sense. Like taking a ride through a haunted house. The special effects scare you, but you know on a rational level that none of them are real. The problems start when you don't question your senses and try to come up with oulandish explanations.

Hal420
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

CozPoz2802 wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone did, as I was curious, and can you explain what it feels like to you if you do? Like what they say and what it's like to hear them, that sorta stuff...if you don't mind of course.

How do you experience your voices?

Mine always have been very far away and not very loud.

This was different when I had a psychosis in 2004. Then I had crystal clear voices talking to my brain.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 5:04 pm

Well there was the one time on prozac...but other then that I just feel presences that aren't there, they don't talk though.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Jan 2012, 8:09 pm

I thought I heard voices years ago when I was a little paranoid & suffering from a psychic depression. I also sometimes misinterpret noises as voices maybe due to Aspie sensory issues with hearing but maybe it's my dyslexia or ADD too; it happens mostly when I'm not paying attention & there's a few different noises that are kind of low

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 4:25 am

I used to in the past. I am not sure if it was a result of emotional abuse or if it is something intrinsic within me. Probably a bit of both.

If you have been bullied chronically, you may want to look into studies that link bullying with psychotic symptoms. There is actually some evidence to support it and I think it may be why so many Aspies struggle with paranoia.

The voices were often degrading but occasionally complimentary or neutral (commenting on my behavior). I have been diagnosed with psychotic depression in the past.

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2012, 6:38 pm

Sometimes I do - it sounds like a young girl who's either far away or at the bottom of a well, and saying "Mom" or "Mommy".