Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 5:36 pm

couple of thoughts here so bare with me.

If your not familiar with it ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
IMO its a mix of victorian style, machine age industrial, and some modern technology. Overly heavy duty items and parts assembled to do a simple function using either fantasy or old "sci-fi" concepts
I'm considering doing some of the art/sculptures, to sell. Most of which will be table and floor lamps using edison bulbs and twisted "antique reproduction" cords and plugs. I'm a former antique dealer and I'm pretty handy.

What I'd like to know,is what else would be everyday items that people "decorate" with?.
ie...wall art ?? clocks??

Myself personally, I don't have any clothing, or glass's and don't wear the big boots. So I'm not going to do any clothing.
My own home is just,.....old school standard-ish decorated.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 6:57 pm

That sounds very interesting. I always thought that steampunk was invented sometime in the last decade but I was wrong.

I'm not sure if this is considered "steampunk" but You could use things from the kitchen such as pans,pots,forks and electric mixers.
With an electric mixer or blender you could take it apart and create a very industrial looking sculpture. If that's what your going for.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 7:29 pm

I did think of an add on for Kitchen Aid mixers but cleaning it would be difficult. I suppose I could make it removeable.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 8:28 pm

I've seen pictures of Steampunk USB thumb drives. Might help to start small, but it depends on what materials you have.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 11:08 pm

I wouldn't mind having one of these:

Or this:

Or this: