Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 9:57 pm

Maybe others have posted this, but it's too good to miss.

Video called "Autistic Girl Expresses Unimaginable Intelligence" posted on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZVV4Ci ... ture=share

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 10:29 pm

I like the fact that this video talks about sensory issues.

Temple Grandin also talks about this. (will include link)

What I don't like is that 4:38 into it, the narrator advocates "tough love," which is usually counterproductive.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

01:25 into this video, Dr. Temple Grandin says, "“One of the biggest most neglected areas is the sensory problems . . . “ and she gives a couple of examples.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEAhMEgGOQ[/youtube]

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 10:40 pm

Cool vid. It reminds me -- there's a movie about a couple of guys who are also autistic, non-verbal, were assumed to be cognitively impaired, and now communicate very well through typing. It's called "Wretches and Jabberers." They go around the world to meet other autistic like themselves. It makes you wonder if there aren't a lot of autistics like Carly and those guys.

It's amazing how if someone can't speak and moves strangely that people assume they can't think at all. WTF?

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 10:50 pm

Long ago I read a book called Next of Kin about a scientist who taught chimps sign-language. The project is still underway and now the chimps are teaching each other through their generations (they are in some kind of natural setting, away from humans, somewhere in WA I think) Anyway, in the epilouge, the authors says that he had some experience teaching autistic people sign language with similar results that people are having with computers now.

Anybody out there had any experience with sign language?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 6:40 pm

Now, I do remember hearing about one scientist who thought the chimps were largely "gaming" the humans and didn't learn as much language as people thought. Of course this would be a different type of intelligence. And that discussion and debate probably is good and healthy.

Okay, I think chimps are just fine. I do think us humans are even more spectacular, whether we are on the spectrum or not. And, yes, absolutely, sign language opens up a whole other avenue. I'd also ask if other languages, say languages a little more expressive with the hands than English, if those of us on the spectrum find fit in easier and find more acceptance?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 7:46 pm

I re-posted both the above videos on the parents discussion. Just too potentially good not to share.

talk by Dr. Temple Grandin four or so years ago
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt188051.html

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 9:21 pm

I actually cried when I watched this video...

but quick summary because I am upset at myself for not relaying information... (have had to delete information a few times)

Those who have more deep cases on the spectrum, I feel for you! I cant imagine what it must be like to deal with what I go through on a deeper and more intense basis...

I cannot say anything else cause everything I say ends up sounding like something I'll regret and ugh... hit submit now or else... (ok done)

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 4:50 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:

What I don't like is that 4:38 into it, the narrator advocates "tough love," which is usually counterproductive.

I'd have to agree with that. When I was a kid, when nobody knew what AS was, tough love is how they treated it. Let me tell you from personal experience it DOES NOT work lol You want to see rage? Try tough love on an AS kid. What they mention in this video is NOT "tough love".

I really liked the video BTW.