Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 7:10 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Suicide is murder because you are taking a human life. All humans are protected by law against acts of murder. By making suicide exempt you are arguing that you are not human. All humans are made in the image of God. So even if you take your own life you are still destroying an image of God which is a crime against God and humanity.

So are you one of these people who feels if someone survives a suicide attempt, instead of getting help for their condition they should instead be charged with a crime and thrown in prison. Or maybe you prefer charged with a sin and thrown into hell.

But opinions are opinions.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 7:19 pm

Well to be consistent if a suicide survivor is entitled to therapy for their condition then so is a person who attempted a murder.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Well to be consistent if a suicide survivor is entitled to therapy for their condition then so is a person who attempted a murder.

If a psychological disorder played a role in the murder than yes they should. However suicide survivors and attempted murders are still far from the same thing.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 7:29 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Suicide is murder because you are taking a human life. All humans are protected by law against acts of murder. By making suicide exempt you are arguing that you are not human. All humans are made in the image of God. So even if you take your own life you are still destroying an image of God which is a crime against God and humanity.

Which is all according to what? A 2000 year old story book?

The bible is NOT law.

You will reap what you've sown.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 7:35 pm

abacacus wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

Which is all according to what? A 2000 year old story book?

The bible is NOT law.

I used to be a christian because I took the part about treating others how you want to be and viewing Jesus as a role model seriously. Damn was I naive thinking that's what the religion was about. Apparently the threats of being sent to hell and a holier than thou attitude is the way to go. That's at least why I decided enough was enough and now do not follow a religion.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:13 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

Therapy at the noose end of the hangman's rope, maybe.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
No one actually gets done for attempted suicide these days. They'll just get put into therapy or something.

Why should it be considered a crime. We all own our lives, our time and our bodies.

ruveyn

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:18 pm

Raptor wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

Well, there's another blow against the argument supporting free speech.

Tadzio

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:24 pm

Raptor wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

Depending on why they tried to kill someone. There is such a thing as being legally insane.

You will reap what you've sown.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
No one actually gets done for attempted suicide these days. They'll just get put into therapy or something.

Why should it be considered a crime. We all own our lives, our time and our bodies.

ruveyn

Hi ruveyn,

To "own" something just means "to have a bundle of rights" involving the "something".

The rights are never all encompassing nor all inclusive. Very real limits exist in even a totally isolated environment, and very real limits exist in any shared environment. The limits are definitely different in each of the environments, while the environment may impose some limits directly, society does much the same with other limits. Each environmental situation can modify the limits, supposedly for "self-evident truths" and some other abstractions with the "society" environment.

Tadzio

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm

It is the murder of one's self by choice.
You are voluntarily taking your own life.
A lawyer may define suicide differently but I feel that the destruction of human life is always murder.
My response was fueled by emotions and not fact.

My friend from my bipolar support group killed himself 5 years ago and I am still very hurt.
I have thought of it before but never have the strength to pull the trigger.

It should not be considered a crime because suicidal urges are uncontroable.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 10:31 pm

I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive

Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 3:02 am

blauSamstag wrote:
I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive

They certainly are not. For myself I don't think suicide is murder, the definition kind of breaks down when applied to self. Also, the response should be huge compassion, murder, generally bespeaks an element of punishment. I would add, that within western culture it is considered a choice and that the choice itself, is considered wrong.

Was not spoken of the soul.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 5:20 am

Not the same at all.

I can understand people's fear of suicide but somehow my intuition tells me that suicide would be less common if people openly spoke about it. Burying it in the ground and associating it with murder just leads to intensified guilt in people who have suicidal thoughts.

The answer lies in empathy, and not in punishment for "forbidden thoughts" in my opinion.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 6:38 am

Happiness I can feel and love to me is so real
and so as you here these words telling you now of my state
I wish to tell you that it is never to late to enjoy life because I can.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

You are being far too uncritical in your use of language.

There are plenty of circumstances in which taking a human life is not murder. Even if we replace the word, "murder," in your statement with the somewhat more accurate, "homicide," there still exist plenty of circumstances in which the death of a human being is caused other than by natural causes where it is in no way homicide.

As for the religious implications, that is irrelevant to the question at hand. Biblical law countenances killing human beings is a wide range of circumstances, so the absolutism of your formula is clearly false. You need to establish a moral and ethical framework for evaluating a person's actions before you can conclude that those actions constitute a crime against god, against humanity or against the law of the jurisdiction in which you find yourself.