Why do people think Aspies are more likely to b transgender?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 2:10 pm

I never considered myself androgynous or masculine, but I did for a while consider myself feminine.

However, thoughts of transgender activity never crossed my mind, just crossdressing. Didn't like it though.

I agree with the above poster we are more likely to be androgynous... it is just how we don't focus on clothing to figure out group affiliation. That's society. I won't condemn either side.

I would think though unlike with non-aspergians we are just more able to think our way into what we think would benefit us, rather than follow emotional snaps that occur.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 7:24 pm

one theory of autism is the extreme male mind.

i am ftm.

ZackMichel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2019, 10:03 pm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6223809/

"This study confirmed previous findings from adult studies that there is no evidence of increased rates of autism in transgender populations as a whole."

HOWEVER: "The study found that within people assigned female at birth the transgender group (possible transgender males and/or non-binary people) was about twice as likely to have clinically significant levels of autistic traits compared to cisgender females"

Anyway, the study just uses the AQ test, so that might not be as accurate in the whole. It's good that they have a sample of cisgender people to compare to the transgender people. As an AFAB (assigned female at birth) nonbinary person, I think the results are cool overall. I like to think that my gender identity is intertwined with my ASD, so this feels really validating.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 158 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

swordrat32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2019, 3:25 pm

I experienced this wave of relief and recognition when I first read about the term "gendervague." I'm AFAB (assigned female at birth) but get gendered as a 15 year-old boy all the time because of my appearance. I've always felt more comfortable presenting as masculine of center and haven't really identified with being female or male, but somehow "nonbinary" felt wrong too. In a way, I feel like my gender identity is sort of "quieter" or maybe just less clear than it is for some other people. I don't have a strong feeling that I'm NOT a woman but I also don't particularly feel like I am one. (And I don't think it's just the thing where cis people don't notice their gender identity because it's congruent with their assigned gender.)

But also, I think I might well experience dysphoria if my body shape were more stereotypically feminine, so who knows, maybe it's just luck of the draw.

Anyway, the idea that some other people on the spectrum also feel "gendervague" is very validating and one of my favorite things about learning I'm on the spectrum.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 8:23 pm

To me, that is no different than automatically assuming someone is gay simply because they are different.