are autistics more interested in super mario?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2012, 7:55 pm

are autistic pepole more interested or "obsessed" with super mario than none autistic pepole?

i like super mario alot and im near the suvere end of autism.

not somthing therpists talk about, a therpist i met once at school never even herd of super mario.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 7:58 pm

Eh, I think a ton of people like Mario, autistic or not. He's pretty much the Mickey Mouse of video games it seems. Of course, perhaps not near as popular as Mickey Mouse himself given video games aren't as "mainstream" as movies, but Mario is probably the most recognizable character in the medium.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

I think that it's all a matter of personal preference.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 9:33 pm

I don't think people have to have autism or Asperger's to like Super Mario but my already having an obsessive personality makes it more likely. I've had tons of obsessions with video games and cartoon characters and I think one big difference between it and "normal" people who like them is that I used to talk nonstop about them and not notice other people weren't interested. That was before I was diagnosed with Asperger's and I feel really embarrassed about it now, in fact a few months ago I didn't want to tell the psychiatrist about my current obsession with The Sims games when he asked what computer games I like to play, although this month I used my Sims games as an example when he asked me what an expansion pack was. I felt it was my "duty" to explain in case someone he knew wanted a computer game and he mistakenly bought them an expansion pack and would be useless without the original game to expand on! :D

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

I think that Nintendo games in general are very appealing to slightly obsessive people. They're all about ritual and a sense of completion.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 11:55 pm

Lol yes. All autistic children have a thing for brave Italian plumbers with an addiction to magic mushrooms. Therapists should catch on to this ASAP.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

Aparently autistic people are more intresed in Sonic. On videos like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5QxCW2Xa_0 nearly half the comments are like "Sonic and Autism go together like peanut butter and jelly" or "What's the deal with Sonic and autism? Why not Mario and autism? Or Solid Snake and autism? Why does it have to be Sonic?"

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 10:21 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
Lol yes. All autistic children have a thing for brave Italian plumbers with an addiction to magic mushrooms. Therapists should catch on to this ASAP.

And suppress it. Hard.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 10:50 pm

Lol, the one sonic fan on this website jumps out to defend her interest.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 10:52 pm

There was a similar message about Sonic a while ago. Both games were hugely, massively popular when they came out, which I think is why you can see their affect with all sorts of populations.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 10:57 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
Lol, the one sonic fan on this website jumps out to defend her interest.

Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo... SONIC. SEGA. YEAH. C'MON.

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2012, 8:56 am

It's all about a matter of personal preference. Some autistic people like to play Super Mario, some don't like to play the game. In my case, I like Super Mario because of the gameplay, and I have some NT relatives who are also into Super Mario.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 12:37 pm

I really like Mario games, and I always buy the new Mario platformers, RPGs, and Mario Kart games.

Non-autistic guys are usually into generic wargame X not Super Mario. I also play some of those on my PS3 though like the "Call of Duty" series.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 1:34 pm

Venger wrote:
I really like Mario games, and I always buy the new Mario platformers, RPGs, and Mario Kart games.

Non-autistic guys are usually into generic wargame X not Super Mario. I also play some of those on my PS3 though like the "Call of Duty" series.

You mean like the King of generic wargame X?

Interesting, considering how overdone Mario happens to be.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 4:06 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
Venger wrote:

You mean like the King of generic wargame X?

Interesting, considering how overdone Mario happens to be.

I'm really into most of Nintendo's other game series too like Zelda and Metroid for example. I'm also a level 13 on my PSN account, so I obviously play a lot of different games.

NT guys often act like Nintendo games aren't worth playing cause they're not "generic wargame X" on PS3 or Xbox. lol

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 12:49 am

Lol. Generic Wargame X? That's actually a pretty good name for what seems to sell really well these days. :) I like variety in my games though. I don't play generic, bland fps that have no effort or creativity put into them. Thankfully, that filth is nowhere near my collection. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy older shooters, or games like Bioshock that deviate from the unbelievably hackneyed norm, but I've never owned a single CoD, and I'm proud to admit it. It's games like that, which are to blame for stagnation in gaming. I like it when game companies take risks, and put effort into their products, instead of the same old garbage that has flooded the market. I enjoy a variety of genres, but I own very few modern fps. I certainly wouldn't be content playing the same thing over and over again. I guess I just never understood the common mindset this gen.

Anyways, as far as I know, there's no correlation between autism and liking the Mario games. Mario's easily one of the most iconic videogame characters of all time. I love Mario games actually. They're never too difficult, but can be pretty challenging to complete 100%(get all stars, coins, etc). I do it every time, and though it takes a while, I know I'm getting my money's worth.