Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2012, 1:55 am

these phones are rubbish! had nothing but issues with them force close messages!! i paid 600$ for this htc pile of s**t!! !

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2012, 3:29 am

Hello!

Have you checked to see if there's an update available that might address your issues? Also, what model is it? You might also check on Google, or the search engine of your choice, to see if others on some of the sites that are dedicated to Smartphones.are having a similar problem, and how they are dealing with it.

Have A Great Day!

Rob

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 6:43 am

I've got a cheap LG with 2.1 and its actually really solid. My wifes more expensive Motorola with 2.2 is a little more troublesome with the force close shizza

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 8:59 am

my family uses HTC phones, never had any real issues onve they were set up.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Jan 2012, 10:13 am

bigbadbeast2007 wrote:
these phones are rubbish! had nothing but issues with them force close messages!! i paid 600$ for this htc pile of sh**! !!
Heh - generalise, much? :lol:
I'm on my second HTC (through an upgrade) and I know of several others - all problem-free.
'Force Close' messages are generated as a result of a problem with a misbehaving application. Highly unlikely to have anything to do with the phone at all.
If this is a recent acquisition then the OS will be up to date. What do others report in the Marketplace for the app you're having problems with?

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2012, 10:19 am

If you get a forced close message its due to an APP on your phone...I have the Samsung Galaxy SII and its awsome...everything you can ask for on a phone plus 8 megapixels. Even with how great it is, it still force closes if i overload the system...phones are mini-computers now.

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2012, 9:49 pm

Hello!

[quote="Cornflake]If this is a recent acquisition then the OS will be up to date.[/quote]

Not necessarily. You never know how long the phone languished in the supply chain between the time the software was loaded (usually at the manufacturer) and the time you bought it.

Have A Great Day!

Rob

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

I got a Motorola Backflip with Android 2.1 (originally was 1.6.) As a phone, really, it is downright terrible. For mobile computing, it's quite good, except for the fact that to me Android is complete bloatware. But as a phone, it kinda sucks, touch screen buttons, slide to unlock, it's just simply very annoying compared to an actual like, phone, if you're into using it to send and receive calls.

As far as forceclosing apps, it's not been TOO bad on my end, except for Skype sometimes, but yeah. I'd like to upgrade to 2.3, but I've pretty much been too lazy to do it. Maybe when I get a new bigger SD card...

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Jan 2012, 7:58 am

Rob-N4RPS wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
If this is a recent acquisition then the OS will be up to date.
Not necessarily. You never know how long the phone languished in the supply chain between the time the software was loaded (usually at the manufacturer) and the time you bought it.
With modern smartphones, not very long and it's even less of a problem considering Android updates.
Plus, carriers (or HTC themselves, if the phone is bought SIM-free) do OTA updates.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Jan 2012, 8:20 am

1000Knives wrote:
I got a Motorola Backflip with Android 2.1 (originally was 1.6.) As a phone, really, it is downright terrible. For mobile computing, it's quite good, except for the fact that to me Android is complete bloatware.
I think you might be including the crapware the carriers include with their badged phones. In the UK Orange is very bad with this: all kinds of stupid junk I'll never use is included.
But that's nothing to do with Android, the OS, and there are ways of removing it anyway.

As smartphones go that Backflip is pretty old because Donut (Android 1.6) was released in September 2009. Its performance is going to look a bit dated by now: such is the way with smartphones, unfortunately. I was approaching the end of a 1-year contract when my carrier started waving a free upgrade at me: the first phone had been released around 4 months when I got it and the upgrade phone I chose was barely a month old - the improvement in hardware specs and performance was very impressive.
There are doubtless some real lemons of smartphones out there but that's true for any manufacturer irrespective of the OS.

Quote:
But as a phone, it kinda sucks, touch screen buttons, slide to unlock
Heh - if you don't like touch-screen buttons then I'd say you have something of a problem with any smartphone. :lol:
The "slide to unlock" thing is pretty standard on all phones now, isn't it?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Quote:
But as a phone, it kinda sucks, touch screen buttons, slide to unlock
Heh - if you don't like touch-screen buttons then I'd say you have something of a problem with any smartphone. :lol:
The "slide to unlock" thing is pretty standard on all phones now, isn't it?

Indeed I do. It's annoying. Also, "force close phone app" wtf? Phone app? I've never had any of my old flip phones be like "oh sorry, the phone app isn't gonna work right now." As computers, smart phones are great, as phones, I don't see how anyone can say they're good PHONES, simply for being so annoying. So many times, I've went to answer a call, go to press the "answer call" button, and then there's like 1-2 seconds of lag between when I press the button, and when the call is answered, same with ending calls, seconds of lag between when you press the button and when it happens. Nobody would have tolerated if their old Nokia phones or whatever did that, but they tolerate it on a smartphone simply because the smartphone is a mini computer. Terrible phones, though, terrible phones.

But, I think the iPhones do run overall a bit smoother, even my mom's 3G ran nicer than my backflip, and hardware specs were about identical. The Backflip I like much better, for flipping open and having real keys and stuff, but the Android OS I feel is crappier, I'd say due to it being written in Java. I didn't like how an SNES emulator on my phone runs at 50% speed with 528mhz, and 256 megs of RAM, and meanwhile the same SNES emulator would run at 100% speed on my old like 120mhz P1 with probably 16 or 32 megs of RAM, to me that's just inefficient crappy programming. To solve the problems of doing normal tasks, now they're just making phones with 1ghz processors, or dual 1ghz processors. That's absurd to me. But, c'est la vie. Now everything is just programmed to use more RAM and processing power, simply because it's more available, but I hate it, as programs to do the exact same function now take up much more RAM. IE, AIM 5._ always took like 12 megs of RAM to run if I recall, then the newer versions don't do anything more than AIM 5.9 did but look flashier, but take up more memory and resources.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 2:01 pm

bigbadbeast2007 wrote:
these phones are rubbish! had nothing but issues with them force close messages!! i paid 600$ for this htc pile of sh**! !!

What HTC do you have? What version of Android and Sense is it running? Is it rooted? Are you running a custom ROM? What apps have you installed?

A stock HTC should be fairly reliable. If yours isn't, you've either done something to it or you have a lemon.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Jan 2012, 2:07 pm

1000Knives wrote:
So many times, I've went to answer a call, go to press the "answer call" button, and then there's like 1-2 seconds of lag between when I press the button, and when the call is answered, same with ending calls, seconds of lag between when you press the button and when it happens. Nobody would have tolerated if their old Nokia phones or whatever did that, but they tolerate it on a smartphone simply because the smartphone is a mini computer. Terrible phones, though, terrible phones.
I'm not sure why you're projecting crappy performance from what would be regarded as an "old" phone onto new phones. That's not how it works.
I have seem nothing like these problems on my phones - seconds of lag? What?

Quote:
But, I think the iPhones do run overall a bit smoother, even my mom's 3G ran nicer than my backflip, and hardware specs were about identical. The Backflip I like much better, for flipping open and having real keys and stuff, but the Android OS I feel is crappier, I'd say due to it being written in Java.
And how would you know how Android performs? You only know how an older version performs on an old phone.
That's hardly fair.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 9:05 pm

I can't read this whole thread. I'm much too busy playing GTA 3 on my HTC Incredible 2. :P

Have you been downloading suspicious apps? It's either that or you got a defective phone. I've had mine since the summer and never had a "force-close".

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 12:49 pm

I've rarely had this problem myself, my first Android phone, LG GT540 Optimus. shipped with Android 1.5 (I think) but I upgraded it to 2.1, then towards the end of it's service CyanogenMod so Android 2.3 could be used, very few "force close" errors, and on my new phone, Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100P, there have been none whatsoever, I give high praise to Android, my previous smartphones (which I still own but don't use) prior to the LG were both Windows Mobile powered, I consider Android to be significantly better, in fact I recommend it over Windows Phone 7 and iOS (my iPod goes into "it's safe mode" too often)

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Zl3395
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2012, 11:32 pm

dad and both of my sisters have android phones, mom has a windows phone and i have an iPhone. the best phone i have ever owned, it works the way i want it to. :)