Too ''intelligent'' to need any support as an adult

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Katz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2012, 12:08 pm

Joe90 wrote:
What do you think? Do you think it's fair that those who lack social skills get pushed aside and you only got to have under XY intelligence to be able to get the right support? Does anyone else have this trouble finding support? It's so hard having mild AS - I just wish I had Mental Retardation or just be neurotypical.

No, it is NOT fair that you are not getting the support you need! :x

I identified with pretty much everything in your post, not just what I quoted. I'm highly intelligent and apparently it shows, so people just assume I'll have no problem getting a job because I'm so talented. How to explain to such people that I am scared sh*tless by the social details of getting that job? The phone calls, the fear of rejection, the feeling that the person interviewing me is silently criticizing me, on and on.

It's the same when I try to get emotional support. People look at me and go, "You're strong, you'll be fine." Well @#$%! !! !! even strong people need help sometimes!

I guess this won't help you with your current distress, but the only way we are ever going to get societal help for our neurological shortcomings is to demand it, loudly. We need to educate the public, the politicians, the bureaucrats, everyone about what AS is and what kind of support we need. I'm in the USA, where things are very grim for all types of social services. I guess things are grim in lots of countries. But we still have to keep trying.

And yeah, I find myself wishing I were crippled with a crutch or wheelchair, or any kind of obvious physical disability. Having this invisible wall that I constantly have to push through to get anything done is annoying, frustrating, and sometimes it even makes me think it's somehow my own fault. Like the blamers have taught me to blame myself.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 12:14 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Isn't your IQ 75? That is actually below average. I can't believe people with borderline mental retardation would slip through the cracks. I can remember my school counselor telling me people who have mind of a teen are considered normal and can get by in life like everyone else.

I have mild AS and how on earth did I get help? I wonder if my early history had to do with it or something or maybe it had to do with where I lived. I don't understand why people push mild aside and assume mild means you need no support in life and you just need to try harder is all and you can do it.

That whole attitude towards it you described can be summed up by me in one word, Americanism. American culture, if you can call a steaming pile of dung like it culture, has always been about use everyone else and toss them to the curb, the unfortunate don't need any help because if you have a problem of any sort (even if you were born with it) it is your f***ing fault. Yes, I am completely fed up with the united states as a whole. I only live there because I have no other choice (can't afford to leave let alone its largely questionable id survive on my own anyways.).

/execute RANT MODE

And trust me, sh** is only gonna get worse (considering all the politicians now and currently going through are all like "BUDGET CUTS ARE NEEDED LETS GIVE OURSELVES A MASSIVE RAISE AND GIVE CORPORATE AND BANKING LOBBYISTS EVERYTHING THEY WANT WHILE WE GET RID OF EVERY SUPPORT SERVICE UNDER THE SUN TO PAY FOR IT ALL." Even better yet, most of the people in my area (who are all rednecks/hicks with their ignorant heads up their asses) are in full support of this, but thats the far right for ya, nothing but ignorant f**** who all deserve a double-tap to the brainpan. (Its also the only known cure for all the political doucebaggery as well.

/end

I'm not suggesting you're wrong here, but I just hope you understand that it isn't just the right or the left that is the problem. BOTH sides are the problem, and both sides are in fact one side. They've found out what we consider important issues, and they've taken exact opposite stances on them for a good reason. See, some people think it's a right for everyone to be able to marry the one they love, and some people think that two guys or two girls getting married is a terrible abomination. The person who thinks it should be allowed can't understand how anybody could deny another human basic rights like that, and the other person can't understand how anyone can possibly not see that it's such a terrible thing... The left usually thinks gay marriage is okay, and the right thinks it isn't. Neighbors talk and find out political affiliations, and then once that happens, they automatically assume that their neighbor is against everything they stand for... Then you and your neighbors fight with your damn eyes closed while the politicians do whatever the hell they want(making laws that give corporations more freedom and power to do whatever the hell they want).

wogaboo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

I think the reason some autistics are considered too intelligent to need help is that IQ tests are biased in favor of autistics. They don't really measure Theory of Mind ability or executive function, so autistics are not penalized for their most severe disabilities. If you're autistic your true intelligence is probably at least 15 points lower than what IQ tests tell you.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 2:28 pm

DerStadtschutz wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Isn't your IQ 75? That is actually below average. I can't believe people with borderline mental retardation would slip through the cracks. I can remember my school counselor telling me people who have mind of a teen are considered normal and can get by in life like everyone else.

I have mild AS and how on earth did I get help? I wonder if my early history had to do with it or something or maybe it had to do with where I lived. I don't understand why people push mild aside and assume mild means you need no support in life and you just need to try harder is all and you can do it.

That whole attitude towards it you described can be summed up by me in one word, Americanism. American culture, if you can call a steaming pile of dung like it culture, has always been about use everyone else and toss them to the curb, the unfortunate don't need any help because if you have a problem of any sort (even if you were born with it) it is your f***ing fault. Yes, I am completely fed up with the united states as a whole. I only live there because I have no other choice (can't afford to leave let alone its largely questionable id survive on my own anyways.).

/execute RANT MODE

And trust me, sh** is only gonna get worse (considering all the politicians now and currently going through are all like "BUDGET CUTS ARE NEEDED LETS GIVE OURSELVES A MASSIVE RAISE AND GIVE CORPORATE AND BANKING LOBBYISTS EVERYTHING THEY WANT WHILE WE GET RID OF EVERY SUPPORT SERVICE UNDER THE SUN TO PAY FOR IT ALL." Even better yet, most of the people in my area (who are all rednecks/hicks with their ignorant heads up their asses) are in full support of this, but thats the far right for ya, nothing but ignorant f**** who all deserve a double-tap to the brainpan. (Its also the only known cure for all the political doucebaggery as well.

/end

I'm not suggesting you're wrong here, but I just hope you understand that it isn't just the right or the left that is the problem. BOTH sides are the problem, and both sides are in fact one side. They've found out what we consider important issues, and they've taken exact opposite stances on them for a good reason. See, some people think it's a right for everyone to be able to marry the one they love, and some people think that two guys or two girls getting married is a terrible abomination. The person who thinks it should be allowed can't understand how anybody could deny another human basic rights like that, and the other person can't understand how anyone can possibly not see that it's such a terrible thing... The left usually thinks gay marriage is okay, and the right thinks it isn't. Neighbors talk and find out political affiliations, and then once that happens, they automatically assume that their neighbor is against everything they stand for... Then you and your neighbors fight with your damn eyes closed while the politicians do whatever the hell they want(making laws that give corporations more freedom and power to do whatever the hell they want).

Oh I clearly know it is both sides. And I truly believe that peaceful protest has and will continue to fall short. People have to fight for their f*****g rights, but people are too lazy or scared to even lift up a f*****g finger. There is also no changing americanism, the whole world would be much better off if the United States Collapsed completely IMO.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 4:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
. . . And, yes, it is hard for NTs, so it's definately going to be hard for Aspies. At least most NTs are better at putting on a proffessional front when attending an interview. I try to be proffessional in my approach but the employs can still sense there's something not right about me. It's not fair. :cry:

What about the idea of medium disclosure before an interview, for example something like, "I have an auditory processing problem." And then if you get hired, and the person seems reasonable and constructive on a later occasion you can tell him or her that you have been diagnosed with Asperger's?

Won't work everytime, but may get the odds somewhat more in your favor.