Should I get help from Disability Support Services?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 7:11 pm

Here's the problem:
I'm in entry level Russian at my university. I am having no problems at all with the language itself (I speak two languages fluently and one intermediately, so Russian is my 4th). The problem is the cursive writing, which is VERY difficult for me to write. It literally takes minutes to write a word legibly.

We have to do all our tests and homework in written Russian cursive. I don't even know how to write in Latin alphabet cursive...

The thing is I don't want to go around it and just always type, I do want to try getting it down. The thing is, I think I might need extra time for tests and stuff like that. Do you guys think I should go to Disability Support Services at my university? Is it likely they will accommodate me? Has anyone else done similar due to their handwriting? Diagnosis is aspergers. Do most universities accommodate for it?

One other thing is that I know DSS at my university sucks, since my ex had to deal with them a ton.

SpectrumU
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2012, 3:55 pm

Yes, go talk to them! If you have documented your AS and have trouble with handwriting, you should be able to get accommodations for that - extra time and/or using a computer. But what's wrong with using a computer? In "real life" no one is required to hand write anything, except maybe to sign a legal document!

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 12:24 am

Yes, you should definitely go talk to them. They will probably suggest using a computer, but extra time instead shouldn't be a hard accommodation to get.

I don't have trouble with writing legibly, but I do have a hard time writing under time constraint. I've never been able to write when holding a pencil the "correct" way, and the way I hold it causes me to get muscle cramps in my hand/arm/shoulders pretty fast.