Page 388 of 399 [ 6382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391 ... 399  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 3:26 pm

Flown wrote:
I think you are right about PPR. I pretty much need to swear it off for my own sanity.

If you spend enough time there you start to notice all the bad habits of the people you generally agree with because it's an eventuality that you'll end up disagreeing with each of them at one point or another.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 8:54 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Flown wrote:
I think you are right about PPR. I pretty much need to swear it off for my own sanity.

If you spend enough time there you start to notice all the bad habits of the people you generally agree with because it's an eventuality that you'll end up disagreeing with each of them at one point or another.

I have no issue with having disagreements with others. It's illogical to think that people will align with me on every issue, and I DO like a healthy debate. However, one trend I've noticed in PPR (at least in SOME individuals) is the unwavering assumption that one is RIGHT and an unwillingness to see things in any other light. Also, I'm not sure if this is solely within the autistic community, but many individuals have a very hard time seeing any gray areas (all black & white thinking). While I've definitely struggled with black & white thinking throughout my lifetime, I try my very best to see all sides of an argument (all the shades of gray).

In summation, I'm going to be avoiding PPR because I think a lot of the "debates" are pointless. A lot of people with strong opinions that are unwilling to see the gray areas and come to some sort of agreement/compromise. As HoH mentioned, I think a lot of people enjoy arguing, and that really isn't something I like doing.

I'm a lot calmer and happier just chatting and playing games here :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:32 am

Flown wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Flown wrote:

I have no issue with having disagreements with others. It's illogical to think that people will align with me on every issue, and I DO like a healthy debate. However, one trend I've noticed in PPR (at least in SOME individuals) is the unwavering assumption that one is RIGHT and an unwillingness to see things in any other light. Also, I'm not sure if this is solely within the autistic community, but many individuals have a very hard time seeing any gray areas (all black & white thinking). While I've definitely struggled with black & white thinking throughout my lifetime, I try my very best to see all sides of an argument (all the shades of gray).

In summation, I'm going to be avoiding PPR because I think a lot of the "debates" are pointless. A lot of people with strong opinions that are unwilling to see the gray areas and come to some sort of agreement/compromise. As HoH mentioned, I think a lot of people enjoy arguing, and that really isn't something I like doing.

By bad habits I don't mean disagreements themselves but instead stuff like turning on the snark and condescension in response to having a point turn out to be less than solid, or being prone to ignoring/missing/dismissing nuance when it doesn't support one's conclusions, relying only on one questionable news source and dismissing any reporting that doesn't align with that source, fixating on single topic to the point that any conversation ends up on that topic, etc.

Even though I enjoy PPR, much of the criticisms made about it are true. I wouldn't wish to make anyone feel obliged to participate.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 5:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Flown wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Flown wrote:

By bad habits I don't mean disagreements themselves but instead stuff like turning on the snark and condescension in response to having a point turn out to be less than solid, or being prone to ignoring/missing/dismissing nuance when it doesn't support one's conclusions, relying only on one questionable news source and dismissing any reporting that doesn't align with that source, fixating on single topic to the point that any conversation ends up on that topic, etc.

Even though I enjoy PPR, much of the criticisms made about it are true. I wouldn't wish to make anyone feel obliged to participate.

...Don't forget the "fellow travellers" who have gone to such a deluded extreme that they undermine your position simply by existing. Like the "exterminate the elderly for voting Tory" guy who keeps popping up.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 12:58 am

I'm ginger-ish & I have never been liked by many people. I get the social equivalent of being laughed at unless I put in an effort to blend in.

I'm a bit pathetic I suppose, but I don't seek pity.

I will never submit my ginger hair, with hair dye or anything else. :)

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 7:22 pm

Let’s see how long it will take me to be home sick.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 6:32 am

Am I unpopular yet, or do I need to work harder at it?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 5:52 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:

you're still too likable for our tastes.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 6:16 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

you're still too likable for our tastes.

Sorry I'll try harder.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 6:37 am

Flown wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Flown wrote:

I used to believe autistics overwhelmingly tended to see the complexity of the situation, but my experiences in PPR destroyed this preconception.
Almost all of the Black&white thinking there is a result of political hyper-partisanship.
The "Us against them" mindset overwhelmingly from the progressive side, devoid of objectivity.

Flown wrote:

I used to put a *lot* of effort into my replies, with a great deal of research.
I virtually gave that up over 2 years ago because no matter how well thought out and rational my argument, it was simply met with a hyper-partisan "Is not" reply. :roll:
What can you do? <shrug>

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 7:57 am

Definitely unpopular!

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 6:11 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

the znof is bad, mkay,

I know what the znof is getting for Christmas.

I wonder if the amping up of weirdness here in the last few days is related to this Christmas present?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 8:23 pm

8O
I don't think I said that. Why pull me in?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 8:28 pm

Flown wrote:
I have no issue with having disagreements with others. It's illogical to think that people will align with me on every issue, and I DO like a healthy debate. However, one trend I've noticed in PPR (at least in SOME individuals) is the unwavering assumption that one is RIGHT and an unwillingness to see things in any other light.

That is my problem with online forums. Trying to disentangle healthy debate from unwillingness to see things from another perspective.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 8:30 pm

Pepe wrote:
Almost all of the Black&white thinking there is a result of political hyper-partisanship.
The "Us against them" mindset overwhelmingly from the progressive side, devoid of objectivity.

Dude! you need to stop relying on Sky news as you sole source of news. Everybody here is more complicated than being a political animal. I'm not saying stop watching Sky but look into other points of view.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 8:33 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
8O
I don't think I said that. Why pull me in?

If i had known you had forgotten I wouldn't have brought it up just now, lol