Page 386 of 399 [ 6381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389 ... 399  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 6:03 pm

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Sep 2021, 8:01 am

^ :lmao: Excellent.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:34 am

^^huh, you're still running Sash Windows? I hear support for that is being withdrawn soon.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Sep 2021, 8:37 am

^ Ah, but that installation is backed by Curtains V2.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 11:05 am

^^^^ I hope you are still running McAffee's "Windex" to keep the system clean.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Sep 2021, 7:35 am

^ Yes - Windex adds lustre to your cluster.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 8:06 pm

I’m a “regular” and liked well enough by a few people, expect I’m dislike by some, but mostly I’m just… there. Except when I try to butt in where I shouldn’t and don’t realize until after the fact that I’m not wanted there, my post came off in a way I didn’t intend, or both :oops:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

05 Sep 2021, 5:40 am

! Cornflake wrote:
Several posts have been removed owing to their aggressive and personal nature.

A reminder of the opening post on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=188409#p4363331

It shouldn't be made into a popularity contest.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 8:48 am

Sincere question: How do we define unpopular members? Who is the arbiter? It clearly isn't me, as you elucidated in your PM (furthermore, I'm not popular enough to make that call, irony, LOL). Give me a definition. A popularity contest doesn't seem off-base, given the very title of this thread. I suppose any self-proclaimed unpopular member is thus, per their own "self-identification." I'm an Aspie, I deal in truths, not arbitrary declarations.

I don't care if you're bothered by this post. It's a legitimate question.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Sep 2021, 9:03 am

As I said in my PM: an "unpopular" member is self-determined and based on how someone perceives their interaction here with others.

That's it - there is nothing more.
No-one is "in charge" of deciding someone is unpopular.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 10:50 am

It seams to me that the existence of this thread can be taken as evidence of this:
Many people who are "on the spectrum" don't feel "a part of", and do feel "apart from".
And even when you acknowledge this fact, and create a website called "wrongplanet" to gather together these people, some of those gathered together STILL don't feel "a part of", and do feel "apart from".
The other term I have heard used is feeling "less than".

I think for some people, they don't mind this feeling. For others it hurts.

My mother was trained in MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator), which is described on "myersbriggs.org" as "personality inventory is to make the theory of psychological types described by C. G. Jung understandable and useful in people's lives"
One of the aspects of the MBTI is that some people are Introverts and others are Extroverts, and this is one axis you can use to divide people my personalty "type". This is one of 4 axes which collectively divide people into 16 subgroups, called "personalty types". The idea is that some people are "get energy" from being around other people, while other people "loose energy" from being around other people, and may need some time to "recharge".

Somehow (and I have jokingly responded to a question about "Autism culture groups" on another thread with a comment about a "non-conformist club") it doesn't really surprise me that I still, sometimes, feel "apart from" and "less than" - even here on "wrongplanet" because I have gotten used to feeling "apart from" and "less than" in so many other groups. It still hurts sometimes, even if it is not a surprise.

I think I am the kind of person who has always felt and will always feel this way in almost any group.

I continue to work on growing in people skills and communications skills to try to lessen this feeling, but I think there is a limit to what I can do to "run human in emulation mode" as a certain well-known billionaire joked. I thinking learning people skills like some people learn a foreign language will always feel a bit foreign to me, even when I get the accent right. And I think I will always be hoping for and looking for a place where I feel "ok" and "accepted" and like I can "be myself" but I am really not giving it a high probability of happening in this lifetime.

I saw a youtube video about the "Double Empathy Theory" which says that NTs may have a problem understanding people on the spectrum, and people on the spectrum may have trouble understanding NTs, but this problem simply goes away when people on the spectrum get together with no NTs to bother them.

Can't find the youtube now, but here is an article:
https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-gu ... le-empathy

I understand this theory, I just don't think it is 100 percent true. I think this thread provides a counter-example.

The very idea of "popular WP members" and "unpopular WP members" suggests that it is true for some and not for others.

YMMV

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 3:40 pm

I’m often perfectly happy when alone, but when others are involved, even if I’m just reading posts here or somewhere else and not posting myself, it’s very obvious just how “different” and “other” I am even among the neurodiverse. And when those differences mean not being able to do things like support myself, it’s hard not to feel “less than.” The lives of NTs and high-functioning* NDs are entirely alien to me.

I chose the first quote in my sig for a reason, and have never changed that one because it never changes.

*I know many people don’t like to use “functioning” levels, but I can’t think of a better way to describe the huge difference between me and others.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 7:54 am

Cornflake wrote:
As I said in my PM: an "unpopular" member is self-determined and based on how someone perceives their interaction here with others.

That's it - there is nothing more.
No-one is "in charge" of deciding someone is unpopular.

But...he wants to fit in with the crowd on WP by PROVING that he is unpopular...so he can be... popular!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 8:02 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Face to face conversation??????

What a radical concept! 8O

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 10:15 am

^ anyone else look at this image and think "why aren't they wearing masks?"

I want to be popular - but with a very small population - no more than 5 or 6. This seems to be an obtainable goal. If I can obtain it I might try for 7.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 5:19 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If you think Cornflake has been unkind I suggest you complain to Alex about it but don't expect him to be more understanding of your inability to behave appropriately.

If alex was made an offer he could not refuse, I would understand and try not to look down on him personally.

maybe he turned down the money at first, so they turned to threats..

Who I had in mind for a second opinion was Anne McGuire. Decided against it at the time, but now considering it again.

Then again, maybe I wont..