Page 1 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

silenthawk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2012, 9:21 pm

What do you guys think of reincarnation? I believe in it. I believe that the soul can't die it just goes to another new being. What do you guys think?

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 9:23 pm

When I was very young I apparently held a lot of ideas that were very outdated, and knew some things about history that I pretty much could not have known.

No clue if it's just some kind of coincidence or what. Don't really care either way, I'll find out when I die.

You will reap what you've sown.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 10:50 pm

Reincarnation is a very calming idea that numbs death anxiety, and it's one that I believe and hope to happen, and that is pretty much where my beliefs end.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Jan 2012, 11:40 pm

I have to say reincarnation is certainly an appealing idea, more so than a heavenly paradise for of eternity. Do I have any belief in it? No more than anything else that is unprovable. I'll just live my life as good and hopefully that will spare me from fiery damnation or coming back as a dung beetle.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 1:21 am

yeah i believe in reintarnation, in a previous go-round i was a hick out in the sticks, now in this one i'm out in the sticks with hicks.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 1:28 am

It's the idea that appeals to me most. There's definitely not proof, but the anecdotal evidence is pretty interesting.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 1:45 am

Well, I don't really think being in this here body and being able to see through those eyes of mine was done spontaneously. =/ Also, if nothing is lost, nothing is gained and everything changes, than why wouldn't that apply to the soul as well? =/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 10:52 am

Reincarnation is pouring the condensed milk back into the can.

ruveyn

NewShinyCD
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2012, 12:41 pm

Do I believe in reincarnation in that the atoms and molecules that make up my body will go on to be apart of something else? Sure.
Do I believe in reincarnation in that my "soul" will be reborn again? Nope.

I'll paraphrase what Sam Harris said. Your brain is a apart of what makes up you. Neurology is the science of the brain, and it has shown us that when you damage part of the brain you damage areas that deal with certain things. Some damage can make a person not remember faces, some damage can make a person forget to speak. You can even damage the brain to a point where it starts to process things differently, you start to act differently than you used to, and suddenly "you" are the same person anymore. But somehow, if you damage the entire thing, your "soul" will lift off of the brain and you will be able to remember how to speak English and remember everything you ever did.

I'll admit, reincarnation is an interesting idea, but, aside from anecdotal evidence, there is no scientific proof that it actually happens. To think it does is nothing more than wishful thinking, imho. I try to live my life, the only one that I know for a fact I will ever have, to the fullest I can possibly can.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 8:09 pm

silenthawk wrote:
What do you guys think of reincarnation? I believe in it. I believe that the soul can't die it just goes to another new being. What do you guys think?

a. There exists no valid empirical evidence to support any claims that favor reincarnation.
b. Absence of evidence, while not evidence of absence, is sufficient cause for reasonable doubt.
: : It is reasonable to doubt the existence of reincarnation.

Conversely, belief in reincarnation is unreasonable.

QED

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 9:54 pm

It's more likely than heaven and hell.

I am not sure what happens when we die but reincarnation could be possible.
The Buddhists seem pretty wise.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Saadi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2012, 1:03 am

Fnord wrote:
silenthawk wrote:

a. There exists no valid empirical evidence to support any claims that favor reincarnation.
b. Absence of evidence, while not evidence of absence, is sufficient cause for reasonable doubt.
: : It is reasonable to doubt the existence of reincarnation.

Conversely, belief in reincarnation is unreasonable.

QED

Lame :roll:

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2012, 1:15 am

There was an article in this paper I read frequently about a boy who had knowledge of his past life. He took his father to another town where a man had died and he claimed that the family was his and the dead man was him. Now the paper could have done this for publicity.. I don't know. All I know is that there is some form of meditation that people practice to get in-touch with their past lives, but my theory is they could easily be hallucinating while meditating about their past lives. So all I have to say is it is all in the mind. But, I am a firm believer in reincarnation of the soul/matter in a philosophical/physical or religious sense.

Last edited by lostmyself on 31 Jan 2012, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 1:26 am

Reincarnation of you (matter wise) is true.

Your body decomposes, plants and animals consume the nutrients, allowing them to survive. Your matter lives again, as another creature (well, multiple creatures).

You will reap what you've sown.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 2:26 am

"I died as a mineral and became a plant;
I died as a plant and rose to animal;
I died as animal and I was a man.
Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?
Yet once more I shall die as man to soar
With angels blest. Yet even from an angel
I must pass on; All except God must perish.
When I have sacrificed my angel soul,
I shall become what no mind ever conceived.
"
[Rumi]

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 10:34 am

reincarnation only makes sense in a world without population growth. in 10,000 BC there were only 1 million humans on earth.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/history ... growth.htm

today there is a total of 7,000 times that number. where did all the extra souls come from?

if you add higher animals the numbers get better but that makes most of the people alive today the beneficiaries of those animals' aspirations, & i fail to see how a mouse, for instance, can merit coming back as anything else through sheer good choosing.

the alternative would be for souls to come into existence but be unable to cease existence. but this seems like a kind of process invented conceptually merely because of a lack of a better explanation, & i don't see what would be the purpose of it on a finite planet.

reasoning." --William Blake