Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 10:43 am

i'd say no, because in my opinion it's the sort of thing to give to someone who is already your girlfriend. a gift puts her on the spot pretty publicly as she has to carry it home somehow and everyone will ask her who she got it from. that will make it look like you are already dating and it's awkward if she isn't really into you.

instead, i'd advise a lighthearted/funny/silly Valentine's card. you can write your feelings (nothing too heavy - just a simple phrase or two like, "i think you're awesome, let's hang out") inside of it. the Valentine will signal your intentions fairly obviously, especially if you don't give a card to anyone else.

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2012, 10:59 pm

If you're unsure just get her something small. I'm sure she'll appreciate :)

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:13 pm

MXH wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:
we're gonna have 2weeks of this aren't we

yep, and then another 2 weeks of "what does this mean"

:lol:

RosieLea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2012, 12:55 am

I vote light-hearted card or a single flower--daisy or carnation, not a rose. If it doesnt go well, you can say it was just a friend thing without any embarrassment.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 12:57 am

"Everybody knows Valentine's Day was a day invented by the Floral Industrial Complex."

--Dale Gribble

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2012, 12:14 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
goodygumdrops

Freakin' hilarious! I haven't heard that for years!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 12:21 pm

How old are you? I didn't see it under your avatar. I can't really give good advice without knowing the age group.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

oddness
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

I dont know why but I wouldnt like to be given a teddy by someone Im not in a relationship with. To me it's a bit too permanent, what would she do when she gets home with it, put it on a shelf to remind her of you? to me thats a bit creepy. In principle a teddy is a lovely thought, but perhaps better suited to a different occasion with someone you know better.

In my opinion it is customary to give a card or a bouquet of flowers to a girl so I would stick with that custom. But to reduce the embarrassment in the case that she doesnt like you, to save having to think of what to write in a card, to save money and to not look over the top/desperate, I would say a single flower would be perfect. Even if she doesnt like you she will probably think it was a sophisticated gesture and be flattered that someone liked her. And if she does like you, long after the flower has died she will remember what kind of flower it was how nice it smelt and that you cared enough to buy her one.

silenthawk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2012, 9:34 pm

oddness wrote:
I dont know why but I wouldnt like to be given a teddy by someone Im not in a relationship with. To me it's a bit too permanent, what would she do when she gets home with it, put it on a shelf to remind her of you? to me thats a bit creepy. In principle a teddy is a lovely thought, but perhaps better suited to a different occasion with someone you know better.

In my opinion it is customary to give a card or a bouquet of flowers to a girl so I would stick with that custom. But to reduce the embarrassment in the case that she doesnt like you, to save having to think of what to write in a card, to save money and to not look over the top/desperate, I would say a single flower would be perfect. Even if she doesnt like you she will probably think it was a sophisticated gesture and be flattered that someone liked her. And if she does like you, long after the flower has died she will remember what kind of flower it was how nice it smelt and that you cared enough to buy her one.

Hm. Thanks for the reply. I think I should stick with a flower. Does that sound good?

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 10:10 pm

@silent hawk, You did not say how old you are? That would really help because if you are young then a card or flower would be safer?

silenthawk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm

curlyfry wrote:
@silent hawk, You did not say how old you are? That would really help because if you are young then a card or flower would be safer?

I am sixteen.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 1:13 pm

Is it just me or the v-day hype is being much earlier this year?