No such thing as black rainbows = racism????

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 10:29 pm

One time, someone made a comment about a "black rainbow" and I said, "There is no such thing as a black rainbow" (pure logic) and a black girl said, "That's racist" with the agreement of a few others (there was someone who was mostly of European descent, one who was part Japanese, and a Latina/Hispanic girl) and I said, "No, it's not. There just can't be a black rainbow because it defeats the purpose of a rainbow" but they ignored my attempts to explain to them. I realize they were likely only joking, but this gets incredibly annoying. I don't hang out with them as much anymore.

Any thoughts?

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 10:53 pm

Um, that's a pretty obvious joke, isn't it? I mean, even to an aspie.

If you have a lot of difficulty being able to tell when people are joking, try to err on the side of caution. Don't jump in and start arguing until you've taken a few moments to consider whether people are being serious.

BTW, what exactly is the "purpose of a rainbow"? That's a strange way to use the word "purpose".

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 11:45 pm

I am going to guess they were joking.

Also the colors of a rainbow are red orange yellow green blue indigo and violet. So if mother nature is racist, she doesn't like white people either :)

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 12:29 am

No human that I know of has skin that's any of the rainbow colors.

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jan 2012, 2:32 am

"That's racist!" is very frequently said for comedic purposes. But some people really are that brittle.

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 9:29 am

Yeah, they were joking. You will get even dumber jokes, sometimes even once in a while I make them but I only do it around people who they won't offend.

If they really thought that was racist they'd be insane.

Also might not be all that obvious, a lot of people have horrible delivery when it comes to jokes.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 1:58 pm

Second what everyone else said, especially if they knew you'd be good for a reaction.

And yeah - black light's kind of a dark blue/purple. That'd be a what... a one-colored rainbow? For what its worth I can't picture that one either.

Greatsharkbite wrote:
Yeah, they were joking. You will get even dumber jokes, sometimes even once in a while I make them but I only do it around people who they won't offend.

And you really have to be around even closer friends to spike a joke like that back with a truly offensive/racist answer. :lol:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 2:14 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Second what everyone else said, especially if they knew you'd be good for a reaction.

Ask them if black sheep are racist. Especially if they're being kicked off a flag. ;)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

Tequila wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Ask them if black sheep are racist. Especially if they're being kicked off a flag. ;)

I have something to say to that but I think I'll just PM ya. :lol:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 3:15 pm

I don't get it.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 10:49 pm

gailryder17 wrote:
One time, someone made a comment about a "black rainbow" and I said, "There is no such thing as a black rainbow" (pure logic) and a black girl said, "That's racist" with the agreement of a few others (there was someone who was mostly of European descent, one who was part Japanese, and a Latina/Hispanic girl) and I said, "No, it's not. There just can't be a black rainbow because it defeats the purpose of a rainbow" but they ignored my attempts to explain to them. I realize they were likely only joking, but this gets incredibly annoying. I don't hang out with them as much anymore.

Any thoughts?

I read something interesting a few months ago, and I really wish I had kept the link. It talked about always presuming the truth of what someone was saying, giving them time to explain where they are going with what they've said, and THEN formulating a response to the words. Say something like, "Oh, really?" or "How so?" or just be quiet and keep listening. You'll pick up more context that way and have better grounding within the conversation as a whole for your own thoughts to stand on.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3yJomUhs0g[/youtube]

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2012, 11:49 pm

As a black man I can understand that they are joking and I found the humor off of it.