activity-based relationships vs non-activity-based

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Transhuman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2012, 11:53 am

Does anybody else find themselves being unable to socialize in relationships which aren't based on a common activity? For example, I could socialize rather well when I was a child and when we rode our bikes, explored abandoned buildings, started fires, etc. with other children. However, when there's no such common activity present, I find myself virtually unable to socialize. Can anybody relate?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 12:06 pm

I can relate. As common activities evolve further with increasing age, they will become more and more complex and subtle, requiring more advanced social skills than ever before. This is when kids with AS/HFA will find themselves excluded from peer groups.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 12:40 pm

I suck at both.

When I socialize without an activity, I suck at socializing. Socializing = Waste of Time.

When I socialize with an activity, I suck at socializing and activitizing. Socializing = Waste of Time. Activitizing = Pain.

When I activitize without socialization, I am happy flappy. Activitizing = Pleasure.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm

yeah i guess so. I get along more easily with people if we're doing something- just sit us in an empty room together and i find it quite hard to know how to start conversation, or keep it going at least.
I prefer talk with a purpose, rather than excess smalltalk and gossipy type conversations. so it's a lot easier if there is a common experience inbetween the other person and I

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 1:52 pm

Definitely! My first relationship with a female involved running. Actually, she started me on it. Makes it much easier if someone likes the things I enjoy doing, such as excercise, rockhounding & fossil collecting, even Paranormal research.

Sincerely,
Matt