Saying the wrong thing and being snapped at

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:13 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
hypothyroidism. (Where people think they are sick when they really aren't.)

Do you mean hypochondria?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:29 pm

Yes because she didn't appear to be sick

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 3:03 am

Quite a few people who do drugs on a regular basis or drink heavily on a regular basis will take Benadryl when they can't get drugs or booze because they say it helps them not feel as jittery and it helps them sleep. Maybe thats what she was wanting.

If I were having an allergic reaction and were walking up to a stranger to ask for something it would be to ask them to call 911 for me, not for a Benadryl.

Did she look strung out?

Also, your answer to her was completely appropriate and the correct thing to say. She worded it like she was asking a clerk. If she had said "Excuse me, I'm having an allergic reaction, you wouldn't happen to have any benadryl with you would you?" that would be more like what someone would say when asking a stranger for a benadryl.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 11:53 am

I hate it when I say something and somebody snaps, saying my name at the end of their response. That always indicates that I've just said something incredibly stupid.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 3:42 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Earlier this evening, I was at my campus bookstore. I was looking at something electronic and noticed a woman standing near one of the register desks where the electronics are sold. At first I thought maybe she was a store clerk who was expert in things like selling laptops or computers. So, I proceeded to look at a nook and mind my own business. It was then that she approached me by asking, "This probably is a silly question but I was wondering if you had any benedryl?" I thought she had somehow gotten the idea that I may have been one of the store clerks. I responded by saying," I don't work here so I couldn't tell you." She replied with an escalating "Well I am having an allergic reaction right now and so I needed to have some benedryl." She then stormed off as if I had put her on offense for saying the wrong thing. I politely responded by saying, "I didn't mean to be rude ma'am." She ignored what I said then went to ask other people.

Did I say the wrong answer to her? If I did, that was my bad.

A. You handled it perfectly. B. A person in an anaphylactic situatuion usually gets anxious and what she did wasn't personal. She was in trouble and she knew it. C. If she had been smart, she would carry benedryl and an epi-pen with her at all times. D. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Regards,

Longshanks

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 11:57 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Quite a few people who do drugs on a regular basis or drink heavily on a regular basis will take Benadryl when they can't get drugs or booze because they say it helps them not feel as jittery and it helps them sleep. Maybe thats what she was wanting.

If I were having an allergic reaction and were walking up to a stranger to ask for something it would be to ask them to call 911 for me, not for a Benadryl.

Did she look strung out?

Also, your answer to her was completely appropriate and the correct thing to say. She worded it like she was asking a clerk. If she had said "Excuse me, I'm having an allergic reaction, you wouldn't happen to have any benadryl with you would you?" that would be more like what someone would say when asking a stranger for a benadryl.

No, at first she seemed really calm and then I said what I did and then she just went off. She came up and asked, "I know this may sound like a silly question but do you have and benedryl?" I told her what I said. Then she resonded and slowly had escalation in her voice like she was frustrated and angry.

Longshanks, I had went to speak with one of the clerks about her afterwards. They said that they were out of benedryl and were in the process of looking in the first aid kit. I had also wondered if she had been shop lifting.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 12:37 am

She could have been there with someone who was shoplifting and it was her job to create a distraction. Happens frequently.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 12:57 am

I didn't think of the shoplifting possibility but it is certainly a valid speculation.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 10:26 am

That is why I went and told the a few of the clerks. She asked me and then asked another person but got mad and stormed out of the store. Sure, I guessed that she was a hypochondriac but my first guess was that she was a shop lifter. I thought she seemed suspicious.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 11:23 am

Quit logical. It makes sense.