neurotypical syndrome??? i don't get it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

gyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2012, 5:21 am

i am not an native english speaker. but i know that the word typical means like most other people. hence neurotypical should mean neuroly similar to most people. i read this article about neurotypical syndrome and found it weird.

http://www.quora.com/What-is-neurotypical-syndrome

the article states that people with neurotypical syndrome

I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple verbal behaviors such as literal language and honesty to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships with non-neurotypical people, need to bully non-neurotypical people and frequent inappropriate attempts to manipulate other people
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share own interests with other people (e.g. constant use of "small talk" indicating a lack of expression to other people of anything interesting)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity, believing that all other individuals ought to conform to the neurotypical’s way of thinking

(II) Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest, such as children, gossip or reality television, that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals, such as wearing a tie, high heels or other uncomfortable clothing (e.g. suffering painful blisters or athlete’s foot rather than wearing socks with sandals)
(C) stereotyped and repetitive manners (e.g., ritualistic thanking of people for useless, unsolicited and unwanted gifts)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects, such as tags indicating what brand a product is

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. For example, neurotypical people are frequently depressed, because they are worried what other people think about them. They frequently cannot succeed professionally, because they lack the curiosity to gain any marketable expertise in any area. Neurotypical people are frequently tired the moment they wake up in the morning, even after having gotten a full night’s sleep.

(IV) There is a clinically significant general delay in language. As children, neurotypicals often begin speaking by just saying random words that are not arranged into sentences and frequently speak a pidgin form of their native tongue until about age six. They have an abnormal sensory sensitivity to tone of voice, leading to attention deficits that render them unable to comprehend the literal meaning of words. Neurotypicals are frequently unable to understand that a person asking a question is not communicating anything other than the desire to get the answer to the question. They frequently attempt to answer questions before the speaker has even finished asking the question due to a delusional belief that they can read other people’s minds. As a result, answers to questions posed to neurotypicals are frequently non sequitur. Neurotypicals ask questions that they don’t want answered, and frequently say "I know" when told something that they could not possibly know. It is believed that neurotypical syndrom is a Tourette spectrum disorder, and neurotypical syndrome is sometimes referred to as high-functioning Tourette’s.

(V) There is a clinically significant delay in cognitive development and curiosity about systems in the environment in childhood, which often continues throughout a neurotypical’s life.

(VI) Rigid conformity to social norms cannot be explained by living under the yoke of a fascist government.

but i don't think that typical people are like that. if there is such a syndrome, it should not be called neurotypical syndrome because i don't think the symtoms are typical of the vast majority. please share your views, thank you very much :D

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 6:22 am

this article is ment to be a joke or sarcasm of some kind; it reverses aspergers/autism, and looks at the "normal" people as if they were the strange ones

Reptillian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2012, 6:48 am

It's amusing to say for the least.

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2012, 7:13 am

This made me smile. Being a mild Aspie rocks.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 7:22 am

It's meant to be kind of funny and kind of mean.

It's pathologizing normal people the way they pathologize us.

What the DSM might look like if there were somewhere between 33 and 150 of us to every one of them.

God I'm tired. So tired. Why can't people just be people?? Do numbers really make right?? So tired.

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2012, 8:19 am

There used to be a site called "Institute for the Study of the Neurologically Typical". This seems to have been saved from that site before it disappeared.

AspieCarrie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2012, 12:48 pm

LOL! I love it!