Tennessee Teabaggers want US history to be whitewashed.

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:00 am

The Tennessee Teabaggers want US history to be even more whitewashed than it already is.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... e-demands/

Quote:
NASHVILLE — Members of Tennessee tea parties presented state legislators with five priorities for action Wednesday, including “rejecting” the federal health reform act, establishing an elected “chief litigator” for the state and “educating students the truth about America.”

About two dozen tea party activists held a news conference, then met with lawmakers individually to present their list of priorities and “demands” for the 2011 legislative session that opened Tuesday.

Regarding education, the material they distributed said, “Neglect and outright ill will have distorted the teaching of the history and character of the United States. We seek to compel the teaching of students in Tennessee the truth regarding the history of our nation and the nature of its government.”

That would include, the documents say, that “the Constitution created a Republic, not a Democracy.”

The material calls for lawmakers to amend state laws governing school curriculums, and for textbook selection criteria to say that “No portrayal of minority experience in the history which actually occurred shall obscure the experience or contributions of the Founding Fathers, or the majority of citizens, including those who reached positions of leadership.”

Fayette County attorney Hal Rounds, the group’s lead spokesman during the news conference, said the group wants to address “an awful lot of made-up criticism about, for instance, the founders intruding on the Indians or having slaves or being hypocrites in one way or another.

What a bunch of wackos :roll:

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:18 am

if one cannot or will not practice healthy self critisism something is wrong.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 12:03 pm

The Southern States probably have the worst history classes. Most Southerners have no idea what happened to their Indians (or, if they learn anything, it was that the Trail of Tears was a picnic), and are convinced that slavery was not only a happy time for Negros, but had nothing to do with the Civil War. :roll:

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2012, 1:17 pm

pandabear wrote:
... convinced that slavery was not only a happy time for Negros ...
That's good! :lol:

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

No comment.

Last edited by androbot2084 on 01 Feb 2012, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 3:20 pm

Yes, don't teach the kids about history, make America seem like the perfect country :roll:

There are two choices:
Learn from history
Repeat it.

You will reap what you've sown.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 3:30 pm

The Founding Fathers are rolling in their graves

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

As a former History major and someone with a History degree, i am appalled. This is a not too subtle excuse to view History in the lens of the dominant race and whitewash for students the price that had to be paid for the " success" of the Nation. It is actually ironic that a group that espouses the common folk wants to erase from history the contributions of truely common people who were exploited by the upper class ( whether blacks, indians, irish, chinese, japanese, jews, italians) throughout 19th century-20th century U.S History.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 4:37 pm

pandabear wrote:
The Tennessee Teabaggers want US history to be even more whitewashed than it already is.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... e-demands/

What a bunch of wackos :roll:

You think that's bad. Just wait till you read this: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/01/0 ... ?mobile=nc

Do we need anymore proof how backwards this state has become?

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

One opinion I read is some of the founders frankly knew they were hypocritical. Or early on Washington in particular was savagely cruel to his slaves.

But over time there was some thought given to it by them especially in light of their Declaration of Independence. Still while considering slavery might seem hypocritical after fighting for their own freedom, they didn't try to stop it because it was so entrenched and part of the American culture at the time. Some like Jefferson hoped America would grow out of it over many generations.

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 5:44 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
One opinion I read is some of the founders frankly knew they were hypocritical. Or early on Washington in particular was savagely cruel to his slaves.

But over time there was some thought given to it by them especially in light of their Declaration of Independence. Still while considering slavery might seem hypocritical after fighting for their own freedom, they didn't try to stop it because it was so entrenched and part of the American culture at the time. Some like Jefferson hoped America would grow out of it over many generations.

Apparently Jefferson made an attempt to address the injustice of slavery. Here is a passage from the original draft of the Declaration of Independence:

Quote:
the history of his present majesty, is a history of unremitting injuries and usurpations, among which no one fact stands single or solitary to contradict the uniform tenor of the rest, all of which have in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these states. to prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world, for the truth of which we pledge a faith yet unsullied by falsehood....he has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating it’s most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. this piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the CHRISTIAN king of Great Britain. determined to keep open a market where MEN should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain this execrable commerce:[11] and that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people upon whom he also obtruded them; thus paying off former crimes committed against the liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 7:09 pm

pandabear wrote:
The Southern States probably have the worst history classes. Most Southerners have no idea what happened to their Indians (or, if they learn anything, it was that the Trail of Tears was a picnic), and are convinced that slavery was not only a happy time for Negros, but had nothing to do with the Civil War. :roll:

To be fair, I was educated in the South, in both private and public schools, and the history classes I took did discuss both the Trail of Tears and slavery at length. I can recall very vividly a section on slavery in my 7th grade history class, which included watching a PBS documentary on how badly the slaves were treated and-- if you can believe it-- a field trip to a working cotton plantation, to see how physically demanding picking and manually deseeding cotton actually is. It may not be the norm, but there are history classes in the South that address the uglier parts of the region's past.

That said, I will concede that no curriculum I ever had about the Civil War was taught without states' rights being cited as one of the primary causes.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 2:58 am

Chevand wrote:
pandabear wrote:

To be fair, I was educated in the South, in both private and public schools, and the history classes I took did discuss both the Trail of Tears and slavery at length. I can recall very vividly a section on slavery in my 7th grade history class, which included watching a PBS documentary on how badly the slaves were treated and-- if you can believe it-- a field trip to a working cotton plantation, to see how physically demanding picking and manually deseeding cotton actually is. It may not be the norm, but there are history classes in the South that address the uglier parts of the region's past.

That said, I will concede that no curriculum I ever had about the Civil War was taught without states' rights being cited as one of the primary causes.

The level of ignorance/prejudice against the south on these forums is just astounding.

Crazy Tea Party douchebags are not confined to the south and they certainly aren't a majority here.

My high school history classes didn't "whitewash" issues of slavery (we read slave narratives and saw plenty of graphic images of abused slaves) and I remember being taught that nearly 1/3 of all Cherokee died on the way to Oklahoma... Concerning the civil war, sure, we were taught that it settled the question of state's rights and the nature of the union (firmly in favor of federalism) but there was never a doubt that slave-based economics drove all issues.

At university, I had one professor characterize the founding fathers as "a bunch of southern spendthrifts and new england tax evaders." :lol: We also had extensive discussions about the way "state's rights" ret*d internal development of the (pre-civil war) country (states went bankrupt trying to build canals, essential to economic development, without federal help).

....anyway, I think the south gets a bad rap around here. having lived all over the south and midwest, I can say, people in Kansas are a hell of a lot more racist and backward than most folks I've known in the south.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 4:12 am

evil thrives wherever good people do nothing in their power to discourage it. in any case, god is never really mocked. those that persist in trying [to mock god by erasing the history of their moral kinfolk's misdeeds or by abetting those who do such, by boostering/voting for them], will eventually see their folly in a less than friendly venue. :P

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 5:39 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
You think that's bad. Just wait till you read this: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/01/0 ... ?mobile=nc

Do we need anymore proof how backwards this state has become?

Actual text of the proposed bill:

Quote:
HB 1153 *SB 0760

Education - As introduced, clarifies terms and policies associated with harassment, intimidation and bullying. - Amends TCA Title 49, Chapter 6.
Fiscal Summary

NOT SIGNIFICANT
Bill Summary

Present law requires each school district to adopt a policy prohibiting harassment, intimidation or bullying.

This bill clarifies that the policy may not be construed or interpreted to infringe upon the First Amendment rights of students and may not prohibit their expression of religious, philosophical, or political views as long as such expression does not include a threat of physical harm to a student or of damage to a student's property.

Under present law, "harassment, intimidation or bullying" means any act that substantially interferes with a student's educational benefits, opportunities or performance, that takes place on school grounds, at any school-sponsored activity, on school-provided transportation or at any official school bus stop, and that has the effect of:
(1) Physically harming a student or damaging a student's property;
(2) Knowingly placing a student in reasonable fear of physical harm to the student or damage to the student's property; or
(3) Creating a hostile educational environment.

This bill specifies that "creating a hostile educational environment" would not include discomfort and unpleasantness that can accompany the expression of a viewpoint or belief that is unpopular, not shared by other students, or not shared by teachers or school officials.

Present law encourages school districts to form harassment, intimidation or bullying prevention task forces, programs and other initiatives involving school employees, students, administrators, volunteers, parents, guardians, law enforcement and community representatives.

This bill specifies that such task forces, programs, and other initiatives may not include materials or training that explicitly or implicitly promote a political agenda, make the characteristics of the victim the focus rather than the conduct of the person engaged in harassment, intimidation, or bullying, or teach or suggest that certain beliefs or viewpoints are discriminatory when an act or practice based on such belief or viewpoint is not a discriminatory practice under present human rights law.

Under present human rights law, a "discriminatory practice" is any direct or indirect act or practice of exclusion, distinction, restriction, segregation, limitation, refusal, denial, or any other act or practice of differentiation or preference in the treatment of a person because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, age or national origin.

Huh, it doesn't exactly fit the spin; imagine that.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:17 am

JWC wrote:

Apparently Jefferson made an attempt to address the injustice of slavery. Here is a passage from the original draft of the Declaration of Independence:

He got shouted down, though, didn't he?

Quote:
he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people upon whom he also obtruded them; thus paying off former crimes committed against the liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.

Sounds similar to accusations leveled against Lincoln. Except that the Southerners did not regard slavery as a crime.