Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:04 am

Has anyone ever seen the short film, The Lost Thing? The Lost Thing was originally a book by Shaun Tan, and later was later adapted into a 15 minute film by the author and Andrew Ruhemann. Here is the plot via Wikipedia entry:

Set in the near future, in dystopian Melbourne, Australia, The Lost Thing is a story about a boy who enjoys collecting bottle tops for his bottle top collection. One day, while collecting bottle caps near a beach, he discovers a strange creature, that seems to be a combination of an industrial boiler, a crab, and an octopus. This creature is referred to as "The Lost Thing" by the narrator.
The boy realizes the creature is lost and out of place. He attempts to find its owner but is not able to, due to the indifference of everyone else. As he is looking for the creature's owner, he is met by a creature who gives him a business card with a weird sign on it. After searching much of the city for the sign, the boy is able to find the sign and follows it to a utopian land for lost things, where he returns the creature,and continues on with his life - although he was unable to say whether the creature really belonged there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HbM4ffXX6M&feature=related[/youtube]

After watching the movie, I felt a kinship to the poor lost Thing. The whole movie made me think about how I view the world and myself within the world. I am an awkward thing without a great deal of purpose that can be harnessed within this society and within this timeframe. Perhaps things will change, and we'll all find our own abstract world, where we are free to simply be.
Don't shut me away!
I'm still useful...
I want purpose!

How do you feel this story relates to your world and Asperger's, if at all?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 6:49 am

i'm the lost thing that everybody else saw as the thing that would not leave. so i had to become a hermit and find myself. everybody else lived happily ever after, and i lived. Image

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 9:14 pm

I have to wonder if the narrator is a lost thing, himself, and that he had found his place by returning the thing to it's own dimension (?).

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 3:19 am

it made me cry. :( WP is a land of lost things, a haven if we want it to be. :idea:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 3:53 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it made me cry. :( WP is a land of lost things, a haven if we want it to be. :idea:

WP certainly is, as it's one of the few places where I can feel normal - unlike most places outside of cyberspace.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 1:12 pm

It's so cute! I would love to have a pet teacup/crab/dog.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 12:33 am

i wonder how it is to be fed, and how it eliminates? can it be housebroken? how is it to be kept entertained and nurtured/stimulated?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtQZsrZc_9A[/youtube]