prognosis for small children with ASD or lack of it ??

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

father
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2012, 12:48 pm

my knowledge is that there is no agreed upon prognosis for three year old children with high functioning ASD. has there been any recent research that could address the issue of prognosis; or there are still no conclusive contentions by practitioners on the subject ?? .any links to the subject would be appreciated.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 9:55 pm

father wrote:
my knowledge is that there is no agreed upon prognosis for three year old children with high functioning ASD. has there been any recent research that could address the issue of prognosis; or there are still no conclusive contentions by practitioners on the subject ?? .any links to the subject would be appreciated.

Everyone develops differently. I know an individual who initially was diagnosed with non-verbal low functioning autism. He didn't start speaking until he was almost a teenager, and went to college and did fairly well.

He was the exception in non-verbal low functioning autism. Many people were diagnosed with high functioning ASD when they were very young and as teenagers or young adults feel that they are rather normal and reject their diagnosis.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 11:22 pm

There are just so many variables that I don't think there is any way to give a prognosis. Each child starts from a different place and the input they receive including therapy and education interaction with family members, etc effect ech in different ways.