15 year old Aspie boy shot and killed... by cops

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2012, 5:11 am

I already seen this on reddit and made comments, I depise the people who belief the cops were "Right" and Just in their actions. I pretty much loathe all who kiss up to cops and prefer to see them as the necessary evils we need, Those people shake in fear if a police officer has a problem with them while they are on duty, The police mostly like to be on their "High Horse" and treat people with little respect in most "on duty" circumstances. I know this because I've been a victim myself to "Exessive force" and regarding real help I needed, they are Lazy, Unhelpful and really don't care enough. (They have yet to prove me otherwise)

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 11:35 am

kaiouti wrote:
I already seen this on reddit and made comments, I depise the people who belief the cops were "Right" and Just in their actions. I pretty much loathe all who kiss up to cops and prefer to see them as the necessary evils we need, Those people shake in fear if a police officer has a problem with them while they are on duty, The police mostly like to be on their "High Horse" and treat people with little respect in most "on duty" circumstances. I know this because I've been a victim myself to "Exessive force" and regarding real help I needed, they are Lazy, Unhelpful and really don't care enough. (They have yet to prove me otherwise)

I hate cops. I was treated like a criminal by them as a teenager because I was too terrified to go to school. I feel for this kid.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 12:39 am

AnnettaMarie wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

What do you mean? In the USA it is. In must be different in the UK. I hear kids can quit school when they are 16 and I have heard of parents going to jail for their kid not going to school and even Hanyo here has mentioned going to court because she missed so many days of school.

Huh... I got sent to juvy a day before my 18th birthday for trying to hide from school. I was 17, I wonder why the courts were pressing me to go if I legally didn't have to? Or is WA state different somehow?

My guess is the standard authoritarian thing. The system 'must' win, even when a rational purpose is not being accomplished.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Feb 2012, 12:13 pm

The article makes it seem like it was all Asperger's. The kid had to have been at least Bi-polar.

QueenoftheOwls
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2012, 12:44 pm

What were the parents thinking? They obviously could not or would not deal with their son's emotional outbursts so they repeatedly calledi n the cops as though it was the cops' job to
calm down freaked-out kids. What did they expect the cops to do? They expected that the police would taser the kid to temporarily calm him down--or knock him out. Is that a solution? Was that really helping the boy? Apparently not, because these incidents took place over and over again. The article struck a chord with me because when I was 13, my parents sold my childhood home and moved up to the country. I lost my childhood friends, school, all the safe and familiar places that had allowed me to be high-functioning as a child, and I lost access to m,my aunts and uncles and grandparents who lived in my old hometown. I had a world of difficulty coping with the transitions;I absolutely could not adapt, and while I eventually withdrew into a world of my own, for the first year it was all rage and screaming and banging my head on the floor. My parents could not--or did not want to- deal with me. One night my Mom called the cops. Of course, we were white and middle-class and at the time lived in an affluent home--so that gave me some protection. But, I was in such a bad emotional state, that if I had had a knife nearby, I might have rushed the cops and ended up dead as this kid did, or in a juvenile facility. As it was, the police gave me a good talking-to, and I was not so out of control that the prospect of jail frightened me into tamping my behavior down. But I blame the parents for not getting this kid the kind of help he really needed ; he wasn't a criminal. They should not have relied on he cops to do the job they themselves should have done.

QueenoftheOwls

08 Feb 2012, 12:44 pm

What were the parents thinking? They obviously could not or would not deal with their son's emotional outbursts so they repeatedly calledi n the cops as though it was the cops' job to
calm down freaked-out kids. What did they expect the cops to do? They expected that the police would taser the kid to temporarily calm him down--or knock him out. Is that a solution? Was that really helping the boy? Apparently not, because these incidents took place over and over again. The article struck a chord with me because when I was 13, my parents sold my childhood home and moved up to the country. I lost my childhood friends, school, all the safe and familiar places that had allowed me to be high-functioning as a child, and I lost access to m,my aunts and uncles and grandparents who lived in my old hometown. I had a world of difficulty coping with the transitions;I absolutely could not adapt, and while I eventually withdrew into a world of my own, for the first year it was all rage and screaming and banging my head on the floor. My parents could not--or did not want to- deal with me. One night my Mom called the cops. Of course, we were white and middle-class and at the time lived in an affluent home--so that gave me some protection. But, I was in such a bad emotional state, that if I had had a knife nearby, I might have rushed the cops and ended up dead as this kid did, or in a juvenile facility. As it was, the police gave me a good talking-to, and I was not so out of control that the prospect of jail frightened me into tamping my behavior down. But I blame the parents for not getting this kid the kind of help he really needed ; he wasn't a criminal. They should not have relied on he cops to do the job they themselves should have done.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 5:05 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
The article makes it seem like it was all Asperger's. The kid had to have been at least Bi-polar.

I said something similar on the parents forum and got a new one chewed for me. I agree with you though.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 5:43 pm

Or he could just be a kid with Asperger's who had been taught to resolve problems with his fists and weapons. You can have AS and be susceptible to violence. The AS has little to do with this learned behavior, but it is associated with school avoidance and obsessing on computers and that is what this kid wanted to do. He wanted to stay home from school and play online all day. When he didn't get his way, he resorted to what he'd been taught, get the knife or punch someone lights out.
This kid could definitely only have AS. Why is it when these situations arise, people question the diagnosis like it would be impossible for someone with AS to ever act this way? It is entirely possible if the person with AS believes violence is the appropriate response to conflict.
This response, however, has nothing to do with the AS diagnosis. Many kids have been shown this same example and either end up in prison or like this kid. Dead.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 7:37 pm

It's pretty easy to demonize police in this situation (or any other situation where a civilian is killed seeing as how the hundreds of cops who help people and do their jobs without incident don't make headlines), but police aren't social workers.

If they were called to the kid's residence multiple times to help control him, it's a pretty good indication that this kid should've been getting help that he obviously wasn't getting. It's not the job of the cops to perpetually mitigate the home situations of mentally ill youth. It's sad it ended in tragedy, but the kid attacked an officer with a knife and wounded him. The cop had the right to defend himself and everyone else in the vicinity.

Lastly, I come from a long line of cops, paramedics, firefighters, and other first-responders. Many civilians like to look at situations like this and play the role of "Monday Morning Quarterback," but the truth is, with stuff like this you can speculate, guess, and make half-arsed suggestions ("He should've tazered him!"), but if you weren't actually there, then you really have no clue how anything could've gone differently.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 7:51 pm

He didn't even have to have been taught or shown that physical violence was a way of dealing with your problems. At least, not by his family - we live in a culture where violence is all around: in society, on the news, in films, TV shows, cartoons.

When my son was 7 years old he hit a woman at Out of School Care, and said he would go to America, get a gun and come back and shoot her then bomb the building. Now, he was a very small boy, making wild and unrealistic threats, but the thought was there. His father and I are not violent, he has always been told that if anyone hits him he is to walk away and not hit back, but he still was violent to someone who was in a position of authority in that she was responsible for his welfare. He had known her for a couple of years, and they liked each other and got on well with each other.

On that particular day he had taken a large plastic sack full of balls, emptied it and crawled into it. Obviously, they couldn't have him doing that as it was dangerous. He refused to get out the sack when asked, so she pulled the sack off him, and that's when he lost it big style.

My son has Asperger's, nothing else. It is recognised that his Asperger's means that he has problems with emotional regulation and he has difficulties communicating his needs. He also has a number of sensory issues. On that particular day he felt overwhelmed and went into the sack to be alone, instead of telling someone that he wanted to wrap in a duvet or sit in the quiet room.

The boy who was killed was displaying similar behaviour to my son, but he was much older, much bigger, had a knife and did cut someone. Age, size and means of causing harm seem to be the only differences, and he was shot.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 12:58 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Or he could just be a kid with Asperger's who had been taught to resolve problems with his fists and weapons. You can have AS and be susceptible to violence. The AS has little to do with this learned behavior, but it is associated with school avoidance and obsessing on computers and that is what this kid wanted to do. He wanted to stay home from school and play online all day. When he didn't get his way, he resorted to what he'd been taught, get the knife or punch someone lights out.
This kid could definitely only have AS. Why is it when these situations arise, people question the diagnosis like it would be impossible for someone with AS to ever act this way? It is entirely possible if the person with AS believes violence is the appropriate response to conflict.
This response, however, has nothing to do with the AS diagnosis. Many kids have been shown this same example and either end up in prison or like this kid. Dead.

I don't think anyone is questioning his diagnoses. They are saying he had more than AS because he resorted to a knife.