Gifted people are similar to autistics?

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:37 pm

I got my IQ test results today and has I've noticed something: Why are the characteristics of gifted people so similar to those of autistics?

check it out http://giftedkids.about.com/od/gifted10 ... traits.htm

Interesting no?

And I read another article a awhile back that said gifted kids are misdiagnosed as autistic on occasion.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:48 pm

Because the gifted spend so much time at their gift, they tend to develop habits by choice that are similar to habits of Autistics, who develop them out of reduced ability to do otherwise. That's my guess. Poor social skills can come from hardwired lack of ability (Autism), or from simply not socializing much (gifted). It's not quite that simple though. A lot of gifted people are very social. Actors, for example, are generally more social, but gifted.

Depends on what kind of gifted you mean too. Super high IQ gifted or just very talented at something?

The real difference is in whether the behavior is caused by a neurological problem, or a combination of high intelligence, talent, or whatever. The cause is the difference.

Then again, there is a reason the Mensa site has all kinds of links to other sites dealing with psychological and neurological disorders.

Sometimes it can be a chicken/egg discussion, but not always.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:50 pm

To be clear, I mean high IQ, not giftedness in a splinter area.

Lynners
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2012, 10:51 pm

I don't see how they are similar.

Most Asperger people I know are gifted but they also still have small issues with change, understanding humor, pedantic speech, motor clumsiness, stereotypy, etc.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:58 pm

I still don't know if my autistic traits are actually due to autism, or just ADHD+giftedness.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 11:00 pm

People who are "gifted" are assumed to be act different. So it can be hard to differentiate between someone being gifted and having aspergers from that.

(why my mom didn't think of that I could have aspergers until very recently)

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 11:40 pm

Maybe you can look at it like this: gifted people have a lot of brainpower, so they can afford to spend a lot of brainpower on a particular topic.

An autistic person might not have much brainpower, but they can also spend a lot of brainpower on a particular topic, since they are not able to spend it elsewhere (social skills, etc.)

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 11:49 pm

Yes, lot of people on the spectrum are gifted, it can be hard to distinguish in childhood.

Gifted NTs will develop more emotional and social intelligence. Some seem close to being autistic, but most still have a more balanced set of abilities than autistics(emotionally and socially, anyway).

Gifted and genius people on the spectrum are as intellectually gifted as NTs who are geniuses, but they still have a disability, you can't get around it and many people on the spectrum have a hard time "proving" they have a disability.

It's just a similarity in the structure of the brain. Yes, gifted NTs are more like people who have ASD but they still have advantages that autistics are limited with or completely lacking.

I don't get why people are saying they aren't similar, if you are an Aspie who isn't gifted you still have a brain that is similar in structure to that of a genius and many of the same traits, just a limited set of abilities.

I want to add that the vast majority of people with genius IQs still do have an uneven set of abilities.

It's not as clear with NTs, but they usually have average or slightly above average IQ across the board and then SUPER smarts in one area.

So really, genius NTs are more like autistics than autistics are like gifted NTs, they just have something that autistics don't have but they usually aren't as "normal" as other NTs. The more you see what a spectrum all of mankind is, the less important it seems to make all these comparisons.

You do see VERY NT, well rounded gifted and genius people but it's rare, I got obsessed with MBTI for awhile and the majority of geniuses were INTJ/INTP which is also the dominating Aspie type.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Last edited by EXPECIALLY on 03 Feb 2012, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 12:06 am

When I was in high school (1980s), my neice's therapist told my sister that one of the attributes of "giftedness" was an inability to identify and cope with emotions. She used to drive me crazy telling me to use "feeling words" to describe how I was doing -- "fine" wasn't good enough. I had to come up with something like happy, sad, irritable, etc. It was annoying as all blazes, but it did seem to help. I don't really remember thinking in terms of feelings very much before then. Even so, I sometimes have to stop and think about how I feel when I get cranky and start acting out towards people. Once I identify the feeling that's troubling me, I can address the cause. Sometimes it's an emotion, sometimes it's something physical like a headache or joint pain that I wasn't fully processing until I stopped to identify it.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 12:28 am

MrXxx wrote:
Because the gifted spend so much time at their gift, they tend to develop habits by choice that are similar to habits of Autistics, who develop them out of reduced ability to do otherwise. That's my guess. Poor social skills can come from hardwired lack of ability (Autism), or from simply not socializing much (gifted). It's not quite that simple though. A lot of gifted people are very social. Actors, for example, are generally more social, but gifted.

Mr X hit it( and the other posters). I'd like to add that some of the social differences are due to intoversion and extroversion in the Gifted. This social spectrum spans the human family.

One thing the gifted have trouble with is communicating to like minds. In many cases there is an absence of this, and these revert to Mensa and online IQ societies.

With the Gifted there is much thinking and detailed thinking at that, and heavy thinking creates cultural differences. The trend begins early.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 1:05 am

Phonic wrote:

Giftedness and high IQ are not 100% synonymous IMO.

Lynners
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2012, 1:19 am

pschristmas wrote:
When I was in high school (1980s), my neice's therapist told my sister that one of the attributes of "giftedness" was an inability to identify and cope with emotions. She used to drive me crazy telling me to use "feeling words" to describe how I was doing -- "fine" wasn't good enough. I had to come up with something like happy, sad, irritable, etc. It was annoying as all blazes, but it did seem to help. I don't really remember thinking in terms of feelings very much before then. Even so, I sometimes have to stop and think about how I feel when I get cranky and start acting out towards people. Once I identify the feeling that's troubling me, I can address the cause. Sometimes it's an emotion, sometimes it's something physical like a headache or joint pain that I wasn't fully processing until I stopped to identify it.

I'm the same way.

My ex used to make me write him emails explaining how I was feeling. It will impossible for me to do it, even in my earlier twenties.

I've since been trying to make sense of everything and it really does help.

I can also relate to the pains. Even stomach aches. I would feel sick but I couldn't say what was wrong.

It's so weird how someone can be so smart yet fail at something so simple so miserably.

Lynners
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2012, 1:22 am

dianthus wrote:
I still don't know if my autistic traits are actually due to autism, or just ADHD+giftedness.

You and me both.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Feb 2012, 1:31 am

marshall wrote:
Phonic wrote:

Giftedness and high IQ are not 100% synonymous IMO.

Could you elaborate?

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 4:11 am

You must remember that not all people with AS have unusually high IQ.
I personally don't know or care what my IQ score is.

Gifted NTs are usually better at socializing than aspies.
They don't have sensory issues or obsessive interests.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 9:30 am

artrat wrote:
You must remember that not all people with AS have unusually high IQ.
I personally don't know or care what my IQ score is.

Gifted NTs are usually better at socializing than aspies.
They don't have sensory issues or obsessive interests.

I could understand saying that gifted NTs won't lack TOM and communication skills that many Aspies do, but many NTs(especially the introverts and gifted ones) do have sensory issues. Might be part of ADHD or an anxiety disorder, even non-gifted NTs have this.

Obsessive traits as well.

Aside from face blindness, extreme literal thinking, and the extent of impaired TOM in some individuals, I'm not sure there's one trait that is exclusive to Aspies. Most of it has to do with severity. They are all human traits.

HDTV...

Whatever.