So, everyone is on the Autism Spectrum?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 2:42 pm

Shambles wrote:
My psychology teacher recently spoke to me concerning my suspicions aboutAutism/Aspergers. . . In the conversation he mentioned how everyone is on the spectrum and the degree of autism is dependent on their individuality. There's just different names for each 'space' on the spectrum. So, basically, everyone has some level of autism according to the traits.

Has anyone come across this before?
It is 100% unequivocally completely incorrect. Your teacher does not understand what Autism is.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 2:44 pm

Guineapigged wrote:
"Everyone's a little bit autistic".
My OT told me that once; I think she was trying to make me feel better, but in reality it just made me feel confused.

Your OT is WRONG and had no right to tell you that.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 2:47 pm

howzat wrote:
I wouldn't say everyone is as the autism spectrum varies some people have it mildly some have quite severe and some moderate.
I don't think anyone has it mildly. Like the saying says, "Mild Autism does not mean that I experience my Autism mildly. Mild Autism means that you experience my Autism mildly."

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 2:50 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't know. Be a bit like saying everyone has got Dementia to a degree because everybody forgets things at times. Or a bit like saying everyone's got Irritable Bowel Syndrome because everyone gets stomachache at times.
This^^^

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 3:06 pm

I LOVE this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWnyDvG7XEk

another of my favorites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPSVf50kLF8

Wreck It Ralph

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 3:13 pm

No.

Among things, people can possess a few traits but not enough to count and people can possess many traits associated with but none severely enough to count. Either way those people would be compared against the diagnostic criteria and if they don't count they're not diagnosed. They might qualify for some other diagnosis.

Beyond those adjacent people most people don't possess many traits and don't possess any of them to the extent that disruption results.

The term spectrum describes how the symptoms can manifest in a wide variety of ways, it doesn't imply that everyone falls on it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う