Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

raykusray
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2012, 5:11 pm

Well, it is a bit of work.
YAY for today! The first lonely little asparagi has come up! With the super mild winter and suddenly summer-like temperature, I wasn't sure what was going to happen with my poor asparagus. Apparently, I need not worry.
In other good news, my recently rediscovered mesclun pot from last year seeded itself, and is growing lettuce with vigor :D It's a happy day.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

Maybe I should have some plants this year. In my new place I can't plant anything in the yard but I have an enclosed front porch that gets a lot of sun.

Once when I was a kid I grew things in cups on the windowsill. That was fun.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 12:12 am

i used to really love gardening. then i did landscape architecture. plants- especially herbs or anything edible were my special interest. my favourite things to grow are:
parsley(because i use it a lot in food, it self seeds and it is annual so fungal diseases don't catch hold.)
common mint- it grows vigorously, i use it fresh and dried in food a lot. only drawbacks are that it grows vigorously so you should probably grow it in a pot and it is perennial and is susceptible to rust.
cherry tomato- self seeding, annual, it produces a lot and i have only ever had minor issues with blackspot.
thyme- use it a lot in cooking and it grows vigorously.
catnip- i just bought this for the novelty and my neighbours cats seemed to like it. it makes a minty tisane. same problems as mint.
grapes- the leaves i use a lot in cooking.
nasturtium- flowers and leaves taste good. like sweet radish.
purslane- good in everything. it grows by the wayside here as a weed.
radish.
strawberry- watch out for pests.
rocket- grows a lot.
lettuce- self seeds.
onion- i am told you can grow this by cutting the roots a couple of cms from the bottom and sticking it in dirt.
garlic- the whole thing is edible and you only have to stick a clove in dirt and wait for stuff to happen.
loquat, mulberry, fig and mango are trees i would want if i could have them.
pineapple- take the spiky bit, cut it off a few cms from where it meets the fruit. stick in dirt. easy as 1,2,3. but it fruits in 3yrs and dies.
i also want stevia and camomile, valerian, st johns wart and yarrow, blueberry.
violets, roses, geraniums all have decent tasting flowers.

raykusray

15 Mar 2012, 5:15 pm

I hear you on strawberry pests. I haven't been able to harbest a single berry from any of my plants due to insect activity :(.

catchmeinabook
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Mar 2012, 7:11 pm

Did it a few summers ago but my tomatos got tomato blight.

raykusray

16 Mar 2012, 5:20 am

.... is it one of those "can't win for losing" scenarios I've heard about? I'm just going to be sad this year, in that case.