I'm Making a Documentary About Autism and Aspergers

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,482

26 Oct 2006, 12:00 am

Yeah it was blue hair, and my face was shaped differently then because of the drugs I was on. Plus I got fat when I got older. I'm the same person though. (I've just uploaded that class photo to the gallery section so you can compare, but yeah, really is me.)


_________________
"In my world it's a place of patterns and feel. In my world it's a haven for what is real. It's my world, nobody can steal it, but people like me, we live in the shadows." -Donna Williams


Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 389
Location: Suffolk

26 Oct 2006, 10:49 am

What's 'Getting the Truth Out'? (I tried Googling it, but my internet connection is being strange so I couldn't click on many links, and those that I did try were to sites that wouldn't connect.)



Laz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2005
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,544
Location: Dave's Toilet

26 Oct 2006, 4:55 pm

In a nutshell

ITs basically americain autistics voicing against the americain autism association and their official views on various issues to do with autism within the united states.

Basically the yanks have not got a clue how to deal with autism because their medical establishment can't actually concieve what Hans Asperger or Kanner were actually describing. Because of this lack of understanding they revert back to what is called "the medical model" and basically as a consequence the bottom line is the people who suffer are autistics on all walks of the spectrum.

Im an opinionated limey so its totally biased but that is a british perspective



Sophist
Professor of Pedantry
Professor of Pedantry

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,379
Location: Louisville, KY

26 Oct 2006, 9:26 pm

anbuend wrote:
Yeah it was blue hair, and my face was shaped differently then because of the drugs I was on. Plus I got fat when I got older. I'm the same person though. (I've just uploaded that class photo to the gallery section so you can compare, but yeah, really is me.)


Hmmm... how'd I miss that? Always thought you were two different people, hehe. Although I always thought both of your writing styles seemed very similar. I just thought you were two different, very similar people, if that makes any sense.

I think my eyes have gone cross trying to explain that...


_________________
My Science blog, Science Over a Cuppa - http://insolemexumbra.wordpress.com/

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/


Sophist
Professor of Pedantry
Professor of Pedantry

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,379
Location: Louisville, KY

27 Oct 2006, 9:48 am

anbuend, is John Best, Jr. autistic? Is his blog out of some sort of self-hatred or a general hate for autism?


_________________
My Science blog, Science Over a Cuppa - http://insolemexumbra.wordpress.com/

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/


anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,482

27 Oct 2006, 1:33 pm

I would not even hazard a guess, whatever he is he's a piece of work.

And regarding the two people thing... at one point at this place I went to regularly, I saw this one person a lot, and, then I saw all three of her in one spot, and realized that "she" was actually three different people that I thought were all the same person because I never saw them all at once. So I did kind of the opposite of what you just said.


_________________
"In my world it's a place of patterns and feel. In my world it's a haven for what is real. It's my world, nobody can steal it, but people like me, we live in the shadows." -Donna Williams


Sophist
Professor of Pedantry
Professor of Pedantry

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,379
Location: Louisville, KY

27 Oct 2006, 3:22 pm

anbuend wrote:
I would not even hazard a guess, whatever he is he's a piece of work.


Yeah, just looking at his blog... SCARY. :shock:

anbuend wrote:
And regarding the two people thing... at one point at this place I went to regularly, I saw this one person a lot, and, then I saw all three of her in one spot, and realized that "she" was actually three different people that I thought were all the same person because I never saw them all at once. So I did kind of the opposite of what you just said.


Hehe, that must've seemed weird. One of those double-take (or triple-take) instances...

Yeah, if I had sat and thought about how similar you "two" are, maybe I'd've started catching on.

I did like your blue hair though. ;)


_________________
My Science blog, Science Over a Cuppa - http://insolemexumbra.wordpress.com/

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/


Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 389
Location: Suffolk

27 Oct 2006, 5:34 pm

Laz wrote:
In a nutshell

ITs basically americain autistics voicing against the americain autism association and their official views on various issues to do with autism within the united states.

Basically the yanks have not got a clue how to deal with autism because their medical establishment can't actually concieve what Hans Asperger or Kanner were actually describing. Because of this lack of understanding they revert back to what is called "the medical model" and basically as a consequence the bottom line is the people who suffer are autistics on all walks of the spectrum.

Im an opinionated limey so its totally biased but that is a british perspective


Cool, thanks. So is it a website, or what? (And if so, may I have a link?)



briangwin33
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 183

27 Oct 2006, 8:11 pm

Louise wrote:

Cool, thanks. So is it a website, or what? (And if so, may I have a link?)


http://www.gettingthetruthout.org/

However, the site seems to be down at the moment, as does autistics.org



Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 389
Location: Suffolk

29 Oct 2006, 6:39 pm

Ok, basic questions, for anyone who feels like answering them, and who wouldn't mind being quoted:

1, Which ASD do you have?

2, "Being (aspergic/autistic/HFA/other/please state which) means ..." (complete the sentence, with what it means to you individually.)

3, How did you find out that you had it, and how long ago - how did the process of getting diagnosed go, and how would you say it affected you?

4, What would you say are the bad aspects of it, and which do you find the worst?

5, Do you think there are good aspects? If so, what are they? Best thing about it?

6, Do you think people on the sectrum are misrepresented or underrepresented in the media? If so, how?


Feel free to add anything if you want to, and to ignore any questions you'd rather not answer or that are not applicable to you.

Cheers.



Last edited by Louise on 29 Oct 2006, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 389
Location: Suffolk

29 Oct 2006, 6:53 pm

Laz, I'll ask you to just send me typed information now, although I might want you to record some segments of it later into a voice file, if that's ok with you?

If you could answer the above, and/or talk a bit about

a) Diagnosis, how its changed since 1992 and how the current diagnosis criteria are flawed
b) diagnosed at 10 through to the age of 25

that would be great. If you want to answer the previously listed questions and draw on any of the other stuff you mentioned in your post, then that's also good, although I don't want to impose or make people feel that they're being asked to do huge amounts of typing.

Unfortunately I also don't know exactly what to ask until I've heard something of what a person wants to talk about, so I'm going to have to be slightly vague and try to encourage people to talk about what _they_ feel is important. The main point of the project is to communicate to the public that there's sometimes a difference between the common perception/misconception of what autism is, and what it actually is. So anything around that area is fine, and probably useable. (The counter to that is that it's a rather short time allowance, so I'll apologise in advance to anyone who sends me reams of useful material only to see a small percentage of it in the documentary.)



Sophist
Professor of Pedantry
Professor of Pedantry

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,379
Location: Louisville, KY

29 Oct 2006, 6:54 pm

Louise wrote:
Ok, basic questions, for anyone who feels like answering them, and who wouldn't mind being quoted:

1, Which ASD do you have?


I have Asperger's Syndrome.

Quote:
2, "Being (aspergic/autistic/HFA/other/please state which) means ..." (complete the sentence.)


Hmmm... I'd have to pass. It means different things to different people and even different things to me on different days.

Quote:
3, How did you find out that you had it, and how long ago - how did the process of getting diagnosed go, and how would you say it affected you?


I had just begun a part-time job as an ABA therapist and had gotten Tony Attwood's book and started thinking "Damn, this sounds familiar". I put the idea aside for a time though because I didn't remember being like that as a child quite as much. But then I talked with my mother more and discovered I really was pretty Aspergery as a child.

That was about three years ago. I got my AS assessment a little over one year ago. It's not an official diagnosis but it gets me accomodations for Aspergers at my uni and will do for now.


Quote:
4, What would you say are the bad aspects of it, and which do you find the worst?


Communicating is hard. I can give facts, do humor, but as for really communicating how I feel, all words seem to be inadequate. It feels like a barrier to being really understood. Sometimes in that sense it's lonely. And also frustrating.

Quote:
5, Do you think there are good aspects? If so, what are they? Best thing about it?


For myself I definitely enjoy my brain. :) I am talented and intelligent and definitely creative, logical, and original. Plus it's also allowed me to find online communities of similar people (very eccentric and fascinating at that) to talk with and share stories. Definitely some of the most interesting people I've had the pleasure of meeting.

Quote:
6, Do you think people on the sectrum are misrepresented or underrepresented in the media? If so, how?


Yes, I definitely think so. And moreso in the general media. I think perhaps slowly in the professional realm we are becoming more and more represented with a lot of hard work by people like Donna Williams and Temple Grandin. I think it will come around slowly, but a lot of these people (and there's plenty more than I mentioned) have really made some connections with pillars in the professional community and are working together to bring other better aspects of ASDs to light instead of always focusing on what we can't do.


_________________
My Science blog, Science Over a Cuppa - http://insolemexumbra.wordpress.com/

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/


Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 389
Location: Suffolk

29 Oct 2006, 7:13 pm

Sophist wrote:
Louise wrote:

Quote:
2, "Being (aspergic/autistic/HFA/other/please state which) means ..." (complete the sentence.)


Hmmm... I'd have to pass. It means different things to different people and even different things to me on different days.


Just to clarify - this question is supposed to be regarding what it means to the person answering. (Actually, I should probably edit it to include that...) Although 'different things to you on different days' is also fair enough.



Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 389
Location: Suffolk

02 Nov 2006, 2:34 pm

Good idea, Fraya. Thanks.

Everyone else:

How do you think your condition makes you different from others, from your point of view?



Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 389
Location: Suffolk

02 Nov 2006, 5:43 pm

*timid bump*