Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DeoxysRibonuke
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2012, 10:42 pm

Hey guys. ^^;

I'm writing a story in a Steampunk city, where the region is mostly desert. The city is right by a river that runs into a saltwater lake just a mile or so away.

I have an antagonist who's secretly kidnapping young girls/women with clairvoyant powers (they're very rare, so he only has about ten or twelve) and keeping them locked away well out of public view.

My question is this: If you were this antagonist, what sorts of places in or nearby a large city would you hide a group of psychics? (The reason I say in/nearby is because this guy needs to have frequent contact with them, it needs to be undercover and heavily guarded, and it also needs to be within reasonable strolling distance for an elderly woman.)

I know this is a peculiar question, but thanks much in advance!

Therefore, if you would like to chat me up, you may contact me at my AIM screenname. Being a student, I canno

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 1:31 am

Two places; somewhere no one would find them, and somewhere everyone would find them.
1) the first could be a secret place, in no way connected to the project
2) could be a Psychic Institute, seemingly bogus, and the laughingstock of the city (but secretly works).
I suppose you could drop by Brass Goggles or some site like that for more ideas.

Good luck

scarter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2012, 2:07 am

I would wrap them in tinfoil, but if your story is serious and not a satire, that wouldn't work.

DeoxysRibonuke
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2012, 3:17 am

pakled wrote:
Two places; somewhere no one would find them, and somewhere everyone would find them.
1) the first could be a secret place, in no way connected to the project
2) could be a Psychic Institute, seemingly bogus, and the laughingstock of the city (but secretly works).
I suppose you could drop by Brass Goggles or some site like that for more ideas.

Good luck

Oh wow, I hadn't found any steampunk forums before! o o

I may need to correct my description of the universe, though; it's not actually a true-grit member of the steampunk genre, but rather the technology is of a similar development; no cell phones, no computers, electricity isn't even a "given" in this universe. In fact, er...there aren't even humans! ^#^;;

I might ask, though, pakled, by what sort of place do you mean 'secret'? I understand with no given connection to the project, but what sort of examples do you mean? It's the exact sort of location I'm having trouble envisioning. ^^;;

scarter wrote:
I would wrap them in tinfoil, but if your story is serious and not a satire, that wouldn't work.

Ah, but if ONLY it were that easy, my fellow masterminds! \ / Muahahaha! (Actually, no, I lied; that's not the way my 'villain' is at all; he's a bit of an anti-villain, really.

^ ((See edits to first post!)) ^

Therefore, if you would like to chat me up, you may contact me at my AIM screenname. Being a student, I canno

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 2:56 am

If I were your antagonist, I'd have the girls imprisoned out in the middle of nowhere - as far away from big cities, and the people who come with them, as possible.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2012, 5:49 am

Anything near any sort of establishment that would somehow interfere with accidental perception of "psychic" powers, as your average reader would probably conceive of them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

Okay- this villian kidnaps and imprisons young women. And he does it for immoral purposes. But not for THOSE kind of immoral purposes but for some OTHER nonsexual kind of immoral purposes.

He does it for.. what?....part of a nefarious plan for world domination or something?

It has to be women. Male psychics wont due.

Okay...lemmee visualize this.

I got it.

This is a desert so lets make the city be a kind of Vegas.

In the outskirts they allow legal brothels.

He keeps the women imprioned in a trailer set up that APPEARS to be a house of ill repute- but really isnt. Instead of pimping the girls out he just forces them to play the horses and the state lotteries with their pyschic powers thus creating a steady income. Thereby he is able to support himself and the imprisioned ladies with a lavish income comparable to that of prostitution. So authorities just assume its prostitution and dont bother him.