Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Feb 2005, 10:25 am

Does anyone have a cell phone? I would like to have people to test the new WrongPlanet Wireless service. Don't worry, it is free.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2005, 10:54 am

is that like a mobile phone? cos i have one of those.

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Feb 2005, 4:59 pm

vetivert wrote:
is that like a mobile phone? cos i have one of those.

A phone that switches between different cells is usually designed to be mobile.

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2005, 6:31 pm

We don't call them cell phones in the UK Alex- we call them mobiles. Plus you need people who have a WAP phone rather than just a normal cell/mobile.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2005, 12:02 pm

I have a Verizon Cell Phone

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2005, 7:08 am

mmm i spose im a cheapskate so i got the cheapest phone (nearly) you can get here at the moment.. its a nokia 3315.... oh well
i dont really need one of those flash internet/wireless phone crap.. thats what my computer is for.. oh well :roll: cost me $80 prepaid

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2008, 3:02 pm

I have a cell phone.but it is old(motorola i30sx) and it uses a sim card

olle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2008, 4:44 pm

Sure, I bet most of us have cellphones/mobiles.
I have a SE with Internet through GPRS, two HTTP browsers and a Java VM.

So, what do you want me to do? Where is the wireless Wrongplanet thingy? :?

Besides, more or less any phone made these days have not WAP, but GPRS and HTTP capabilities. You can also get an alternative web browser for your phone if it's Java-enabled (most phones are), such as the forever sucking Opera Mini version 3 or even worse version 4. WAP is a word belonging in an ancient time.

EDIT: Oops. I realized later that this post was pretty Europe-centric. I don't know what the situation is like in the US. Something else is probably used in place of GPRS.

Last edited by olle on 08 Aug 2008, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2008, 12:23 am

I can try it on my cousin's iphone if that helps

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 5:37 pm

I dropped mine in my toilet when I was trying to take a picture of my poop. VErizon won't fix it.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2008, 6:50 pm

Mel wrote:
We don't call them cell phones in the UK Alex- we call them mobiles. Plus you need people who have a WAP phone rather than just a normal cell/mobile.

In Germany they seem to call them a "Handy", I wonder how they came up with that one.

Still have no idea what Alex is talking about, but I do have a 2.5G iPhone.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2008, 6:52 pm

olle wrote:
I realized later that this post was pretty Europe-centric. I don't know what the situation is like in the US. Something else is probably used in place of GPRS.

The #1 and #4 mobile providers in the states use GSM so we have GPRS, often a faster version called EDGE, and in the big cities sometimes some sort of 3G system, UMTS maybe?

serjohn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Aug 2008, 7:22 am

FWIW EDGE is a speed standard which is one step below 3G which is finally deploying in the states.
One of the reasons the US is behind Europe and Asia in mobile technolgy because of the different
standards used by the different mobile providers, IE Verizon uses GPRS, Sprint/Nextel uses Iden which is how they came up with the 2 way radio and AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM which is the standard in most of the world. GSM is great in regard if you buy a new mobile they just switch the SIM card to the new one and as long as you had the numbers stored to the SIM instead of the phone you don't have to program the new phone. I have a Crackberry Pearl which I love to death. It happens to be a computer which also makes phone calls.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2008, 2:56 pm

serjohn wrote:
IE Verizon uses GPRS, Sprint/Nextel uses Iden which is how they came up with the 2 way radio

GPRS is a GSM data system.

Verizon and Sprint-Nextel use a CDMA system with various CDMA based data systems added on, such as EVDO.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 3:32 pm

I have an LG Cu400 that is only from AT&T.

Ashton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2008, 9:33 pm

I have an LG TU500 on Telstra (I'm an Aussie, and Telstra is our national provider). I would try WrongPlanet wireless, but because Telstra are cheapskates, it'd probably cost me moneys. :(