Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

sohmasheep
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2012, 12:31 am

I have recently started hearing what sounds like wind blowing in my left ear. It only happens briefly when I lay down on bed or I bend down to pick up something. I've grown used to it by now.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Feb 2012, 3:36 am

I've had the tinnitus my whole life. Mostly the ringing sound, and it becomes fairly intolerable in otherwise complete silence.

I also get whooshing noises under some conditions.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 5:50 am

i've had it since my late father shot a 30:06 rifle about 20 feet away from me when i was a little kid. i like to run fans and other noisemakers in the background to distract myself from the ringing. i try not to think about it. i listen to lots of music because of it. when i bear down [like when i'm doing a constitutional] my ringing gets worse, then when i relax it goes back down to its baseline level. when i am concentrating on the music the ringing goes away or at least drops out of my consciousness. but the minute the music goes away, the ringing comes back. on an NPR program quite a few years back, there was an interesting experiment as to whether or not tinnitus was audible outside of the sufferer's eardrum, so they put a guy into a soundproof chamber, told him to hold his breath, and stuck an ittybitty high-sensitivity directional microphone [to sidestep vascular noise] inside his ear canal, proximate to his ear drum, and recorded several seconds of the most curious ringing sounds i've heard outside my own cranium. :idea: i mention this because the latest thinking on tinnitus, is that it originates in many different regions of the brain, and forms a feedback loop between the middle ear and the brain's aural processing centers. i read of a person with hearing damage whose tinnitus went away when he had a stroke, not in his aural processing center but in another part of his brain [i think it was the frontal lobes, which processed the sound before the level of consciousness].

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 5:55 am

tall-p wrote:
I got tinnitus after chemo therapy (CHOP) six years ago. I forget about it most of the time. It sounds like this, but without the high notes.

that is very curious. mine sounds like a cross between sandblasting hiss and the high end sheen of a ringing cymbal, with a discrete and dense band of uncorrelated tones roughly a half-octave wide centered at 15,000 cycles per second. what is strange is that i can hear through this noise, if i turn the volume high enough. so it acts a lot like tape hiss on a noisy tape recording.

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 9:08 am

Only slight ringing sounds for up to a while some time after using earphones for hours. It rarely happens otherwise. I need to learn to stop slowly turning up the volume again and again.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2012, 1:04 pm

Tuttle wrote:
I hate Tinnitus. Both my boyfriend and I have it. Apparently its very common in people with hypersensitive hearing.

I literally start hitting my ears sometimes to try to make it go away.

I had never tried hitting my ears trying to make it go away before, I just did it and it's actually a lot less loud now!! I do have hyper sensitive hearing, which is huge problem in life. <sigh>

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2012, 1:07 pm

hi, is this a pic of ur actual cat? The wooshing through ears happens to me too sometimes but not often, I didn't know it was a form of tinnitus, I thought it might be a blood pressure thing. Good to know it's part of the tinnitus!

btbnnyr wrote:
I have experienced this ringing in my right ear, and I can imagine that it would suck if it were there a lot or always there.

When I was little, I used to have pulsating tinnitus, which is not a ringing, but a whooshing through your ears during certain poses, such as lying down for bed.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2012, 1:19 pm

Personally I spent years hearing a sound that resembles that of a fax machine dialing out. Then it changed to a buzzing sound, then to a hiss. Now I have the "high end sheen of a ringing cymbal".
I guess it could also be a case of Hyperacusis which is apparently common with ASD individuals as in a high sensitivity to some sounds or frequencies. Once I took Melatonin in order to treat my anxiety. The tinnitus went away, but I started getting depressed, so I stopped taking it and the tinnitus came back.

auntblabby wrote:
tall-p wrote:
I got tinnitus after chemo therapy (CHOP) six years ago. I forget about it most of the time. It sounds like this, but without the high notes.

that is very curious. mine sounds like a cross between sandblasting hiss and the high end sheen of a ringing cymbal, with a discrete and dense band of uncorrelated tones roughly a half-octave wide centered at 15,000 cycles per second. what is strange is that i can hear through this noise, if i turn the volume high enough. so it acts a lot like tape hiss on a noisy tape recording.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 11:55 pm

Suspie wrote:
Once I took Melatonin in order to treat my anxiety. The tinnitus went away, but I started getting depressed, so I stopped taking it and the tinnitus came back.

melatonin? :scratch: i took that for a while but it didn't touch my ringing, neither did ginkho biloba. damn. there aren't very many drugs n' things that actually work on me. being that there are at least 10 different neural nodes in the brain that tinnitus can originate from, and that these nodes can work together in manifold ways, the cure must be as individually tailored as, well, the individual. :shrug:

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:16 pm

Yes, constantly. Despite avoiding all loud noises when young.

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm

Yes. I woke up with it on the morning of my 28th birthday and I've had it ever since. I had a scan for a tumour but they couldn't find anything wrong. Apparently it can be caused by your ear accidentally tuning into the electronic messages between your brain and the rest of your body.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 6:26 pm

Seashell wrote:
Yes. I woke up with it on the morning of my 28th birthday and I've had it ever since. I had a scan for a tumour but they couldn't find anything wrong. Apparently it can be caused by your ear accidentally tuning into the electronic messages between your brain and the rest of your body.

That's interesting. I developed mine at around the same time. I assumed it was related to stress (it was, and is,a stressful time of my life) and I like the 'tuning into messages' theory. Mine gets much louder when I tense my neck muscles or turn my head as far as it will go, but I suppose that's normal. Plus most of the brain's work is unconscious and relates to normal bodily functions so this does not contradict the messages theory.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 11:44 pm

Seashell wrote:

very interesting :idea: so that might explain when i bear down, the volume of the ringing goes up, because there are more electronic signals going about through my nervous system which leaks into the aural pick-up range of my hearing mechanism.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2012, 4:04 pm

http://www.herbspro.com/shop/xq/asp/pid.46558/qx/productDetail.htm?gclid=CNv3_Nbsm64CFULd4AodWhrYKg
I have taken this.
It worked for me. I just couldn't afford to buy it anymore. It is so bizarre., to wake up and not have tinnitus, that "silence" lol In my case it reduced it by at least 75% and if I had continued taking it, for all I know the tinnitus would have gone altogether.
PS not sure if link is working, if not pls google "clear tinnitus" , that's its name, it's homeopathic.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 7:22 pm

I notice a humming in my ears (that sounds similar to what tall-p posted) when it is completely quiet. I don't remember when it started.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 7:56 pm

I have it but usually only notice it if it's quiet. Much of it is from hearing my blood pumping.