Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 7:18 pm

I'm in class (Management Information Systems) and the instructor is asking questions about the last chapter. He asks a question about why systems developement is overseen by executive level management... it is a 2-part answer: the high cost and the time involved.

I answered the first part and forgot the time part. So he says to me as a hint: "Keith, what time is it?" So I turned around and looked at the wall clock and said "Seven twenty." The whole class started laughing. I guess they could tell he wasn't actually asking for the time but rather hinting at the answer!

That was a classic aspie moment.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 7:32 pm

Hehe!!

I annoyed the people with me today when I wouldn't stop talking about psychology... They're very nice people, but I think maybe they wanted to eat in peace and not hear about the ins and outs of a five-year-old's cognitive reasoning processes.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 8:26 pm

Lowfreq50, that was a funny response! It could also be possible that the class is laughing because you gave what could be considered a smart-aleck or witty answer. It also sounds funnier when said in a matter-of-fact, unassuming way, which we Aspies tend to be pretty good at. 8)

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 9:23 pm

The problem is that most teachers see remarks like that as an afront to their authority rather than the lack of understanding between what the words mean and what the person saying the words mean.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2006, 1:25 pm

I once had an Aspie moment that also concerned time.I'd left the house and suddenly
thought to myself 'Blast,I've forgotten my watch.I wonder if I've got time to go back for it before the train is due ? ' So I looked down at my wrist and saw it was 7.45 and the train wasn't due till 8.05. 'Good,I thought.I'll nip back home and get my watch'

After a minute or so looking for my watch it eventually dawned on me -I had it on my wrist all along ! I think it was the anxiety of anticipating the usual stressful day at work that did it.

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2006, 2:24 pm

that was pretty "aspie" but i am not sure whether it was "funny" because it was an obvious reaction to your literal interpretation of the question at hand or not. it could be taken that you were being "witty" or "smart", but then again, if it was said without intonation or obvious sarcastic expression, i'm almost certain that your prof and the students were aware that you were just not paying mind to what he was trying to hint at.

nts are pretty damn aware of one another, and especially of people who don't "fit in" as much as you disguise your differences it is almost impossible (if not) to hide them completely. i know this, i do it almost every day.

but nevertheless, that was a pretty amusing example.

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2006, 2:25 pm

oh, and btw...how are you? hows your computer running? mine kind of broke, since the last time i spoke to you.

hmmmm interesting...

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2006, 2:56 pm

We have a very chubby cat and she was all curled up and it made her breathing more noticeable. My son asked what it was that she was doing and I said "It's called breathing". I wasn't meaning it to be sarcastic but my husband and daughter started laughing. My son has HFA though so he was like "oh that's what I thought". So I understood what he was asking - the cat wasn't doing anything weird, just breathing but it looked funny because of the position she was in - and he understood my answer for what it was.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 1:42 am

pluto wrote:
I once had an Aspie moment that also concerned time.I'd left the house and suddenly
thought to myself 'Blast,I've forgotten my watch.I wonder if I've got time to go back for it before the train is due ? ' So I looked down at my wrist and saw it was 7.45 and the train wasn't due till 8.05. 'Good,I thought.I'll nip back home and get my watch'

After a minute or so looking for my watch it eventually dawned on me -I had it on my wrist all along ! I think it was the anxiety of anticipating the usual stressful day at work that did it.

OMG, that is SO me it's not even funny. I can go loocking for something for 5 minutes, and then realize it was in my hand. 8O

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

27 Oct 2006, 2:00 am

My sister Lisa had a similar thing about five months or so ago. She's thirteen, by the way, and yet she was playing with Duplo (that's Lego for toddlers, the blocks are EXTRA large). She got bored and started looking for the bucket that they came in so she could put them back. She searched for about a minute before she realised she was wearing the bucket as a hat the entire time!!