Valentine's Day... NOT AGAIN.

Page 1 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2012, 5:47 pm

Honestly, guys, am I the only one who HATES this day? It's pointless. If you love someone, you should show them the whole year, not just one day. And why the heck do we have to get our lovers pressies this particular day? Why not February the 15th? Or any other date?

Am I the only one who believes Valentine's Day is just a commercial setting intended to trick fools into spending more money?

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 5:55 pm

I think any excuse to celebrate how much you love someone and an excuse to buy them a gift they will like is great. I have got my boyfriend something even though he most likely will not get me anything. I just love him and want to shower him with love and gifts. He deserves it because he is perfect. :heart:

So I'm never in a rush

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 6:04 pm

I feel very, very much the same way as you, whitemissacacia- that's why I elect to call it "Hallmark Day" rather than Valentine's Day, in honour of the Hallmark firm. Valentine's Day is startlingly unromantic when you think about it. And why flowers? What if the giver is no good with flowers but knows a lot about something else that the receiver of the present will very much appreciate? Romance is both in the eye of the giver and the beholder, after all.

I'll talk to you more when I return to the UK on Tuesday. Speak soon. :D

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 6:10 pm

We can complaint day and night but we can't change a thing.

Fact is, V-day is a huge success because most people love the idea to show off love.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 6:22 pm

I never had that much of a problem with Valentine's Day, but it does seem cruel when I think about it--it just seems like it rubs in the fact that "everyone but us" has one or more significant others to love on, when we have to sit around feelinng lonely.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 6:32 pm

I despise Valentine's day and I always want to spend it in a state of deep hybernation. Much as with my own birthday, only worse.

Last edited by Severus on 13 Feb 2012, 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 6:32 pm

I'm kind of excited this year, since I finally have a guy to celebrate with. Before that though...I was a touch bitter

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 6:36 pm

^^ see, that's the case for most of us, people who hate v-day usually happen to be single.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 6:42 pm

whitemissacacia wrote:
Am I the only one who believes Valentine's Day is just a commercial setting intended to trick fools into spending more money?

No, that's a pretty accurate description. I've been single and I've been in relationships at this time of year, and I hate the bloody thing either way. You won't guilt trip me into spending a load of money on crap just to prove I love someone. If I need to prove it, then it isn't working.

gtw1983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2012, 6:45 pm

whitemissacacia wrote:
Honestly, guys, am I the only one who HATES this day? It's pointless. If you love someone, you should show them the whole year, not just one day. And why the heck do we have to get our lovers pressies this particular day? Why not February the 15th? Or any other date?

To be honest most holidays have become commercialized,but I can see your point as well.Also Valentines day keeps reminding me all the time that I don't have a significant other of my own :(

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 7:25 pm

Well I don't know, I like giving people things and I do this usually for no reason, but I am not buying husband a Valentine present and I am not asking for anything from him. Feels like being trapped.

Adam82
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 7:58 pm

whitemissacacia wrote:

I feel the same way. If you really love someone, why can't you buy them a present any day of the year?

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 9:10 pm

whitemissacacia wrote:

I neither like nor hate the day. I figure I can spend it in a cynical mood griping about how couples are given an excuse for PDA's, treat it like any other regular day in the week, or just think to myself "it's Single Awareness Day" :)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 9:22 pm

I don't hate the day. I'm indifferent to it.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 9:26 pm

i think im so used to being alone in that day that it doesnt bother me. Its every other day that does bother me

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 4:13 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Fact is, V-day is a huge success because most people love the idea to show off love.

V Day might be a huge success, but V-plates aren't with most people. ;)

(You should be able to get the reference, Boo.)