Trapped between two unpleasant sensory stimuli

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Shishka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2012, 7:11 am

I'm going to give the story first and the question second.

Story:
In my house we have two living rooms connected by a hallway. In one living room my brother is playing a video game. The volume is up loud and he has his phone blaring his music at the same time. He is also wearing a headset and talking and laughing loudly with the people he is playing with. In the other living room, my mum is rubbing some eucalyptus cream (with a strong scent) on her hands and the two dogs (who haven't been washed in a while) have been let inside and one I believe has just passed wind. Now I am trapped in the hallway between living rooms with auditory and olfactory unpleasantness on either side of me.

Question:
Have you ever had to choose between two sensory stimuli, both of which you would prefer to avoid? Maybe it is boiling hot inside and blindingly bright outside but you have to choose the lesser of two evils? In my case I was able to find a middle ground where I could avoid both stimuli but if you were in a position where you had to choose one or the other.... Has anyone been in a position like this? Or does anyone feel like making up their worst case scenario?

kailalydia
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2012, 12:58 pm

Where I used to live, my bedroom was above the living room, and I could hear the sound of the television through the floor all night (roommates). There was a spare bedroom but it had a draft. So I had to choose the lesser of two evils.. or so I thought.. I actually ended up buying earplugs and sleeping in the room over the television. A success story (: haha