Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

Seems like most on the spectrum have a superior autobiographical memory.

I am quite the opposite...I remember things most people don't remember for up to one year, and then it's history. I don't remember much from two years ago.

Most NTs have a more detailed autobiographical memory than I do and most Aspies seem to put NTs to shame in this regard.

HDTV...

Whatever.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 11:55 pm

I myself have a good autobiographical memory. It's part of who I am.

I do see the advantages of remembering well for a year or two and then letting it become part of the past.

Now, someone who's a "bridge person" so to speak can be a very helpful group participant, but isn't NVLD part of the spectrum, too?

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 12:25 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I myself have a good autobiographical memory. It's part of who I am.

I do see the advantages of remembering well for a year or two and then letting it become part of the past.

Now, someone who's a "bridge person" so to speak can be a very helpful group participant, but isn't NVLD part of the spectrum, too?

I don't really know what you're saying.

It's not on the ASD spectrum, it has been described as a "cousin" of autism, whatever that really means.

Anyway, I'm only self DXed with NVLD but am nearly positive I would have received the diagnosis if it were more popular when I was a in school, I have all the traits right down to the weak left side of the body.

But alas, I don't claim to have as many difficulties as many with AS do, so I guess I am a "bridge person".

I do think the similarities between AS and NVLD are interesting.

HDTV...

Whatever.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 7:32 pm

I kind of like the way that's described, as a cousin of AS. :D not that it's a one dimensional spectrum at all, more like multi-dimensional hyperspace.

And by "bridge person," yes, I mean someone who has some aspie traits but not others and can potentially help coach persons further on the spectrum.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 7:49 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I kind of like the way that's described, as a cousin of AS. :D not that it's a one dimensional spectrum at all, more like multi-dimensional hyperspace.

And by "bridge person," yes, I mean someone who has some aspie traits but not others and can potentially help coach persons further on the spectrum.

Oh, yes I think you're right.

I think NVLD is really just the female manifestation of AS in may ways(although many women have AS as well...*disclaimer*) and in my case I just don't have the same degree of social deficits. I also don't have some of the same skills that many Aspies do so I don't think NVLD is necessarily "better".

I'd like to help some people here, I'm never really sure of where I might be needed but I do like to give advice that means something to people and post things that the diagnosed Aspies relate to.

I'm sure I can help in some ways, I also used to have a lot of social anxiety that's really decreased over the years and I could give some advice on that, but at the same time, I can't pretend to understand exactly how Aspies feel in some regards, so I try to refrain from projecting my own experience on them.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 8:11 pm

I'm just short of having a photographic memory. At least, I used to be. Lyrica (the med) has kind of short-circuited my short-term lately. LT is strong as ever..
When I was a kid, I could recall EVERY second of any day I wanted to. I was very close to that female detective on that new CBS show "Unforgettable" I can still ACTUALLY re-live memories, including the emotions associated with them (not always a blessing!).

Sincerely,
Matthew

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 4:01 pm

EXPECIALLY wrote:
. . . I'm sure I can help in some ways, I also used to have a lot of social anxiety that's really decreased over the years and I could give some advice on that, but at the same time, I can't pretend to understand exactly how Aspies feel in some regards, so I try to refrain from projecting my own experience on them.

That could be helpful. I think a lot of social advice in books is trying to 'left-brain' it in a clumsy way. And what we really need to do is to 'right-brain' it in a loosey-goosey way.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 4:02 pm

Matt62 wrote:
I'm just short of having a photographic memory. At least, I used to be. Lyrica (the med) has kind of short-circuited my short-term lately. LT is strong as ever..
When I was a kid, I could recall EVERY second of any day I wanted to. I was very close to that female detective on that new CBS show "Unforgettable" I can still ACTUALLY re-live memories, including the emotions associated with them (not always a blessing!).

Sincerely,
Matthew

I know the feeling! And I may not even have quite the memory that you have.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 1:57 pm

It feels so weird sometimes. Any time I have any thing I have forgotten, it feels like a hole. And its very disturbing. But why oh why, couldn't this talent work for me with schoolwork??!

Sincerely,
Matthew

-Skeksis-
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2012, 2:14 pm

I have an apparently very superior, but not photographic autobiographical memory. I'd like for it to go the hell away because the future is more important to me at this point in my life than the past, but my OCDish brain won't listen.

And OP, I don't mind if you're a "weird NT." I wish I was a weird NT.