Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 11:09 am

i am getting some new video games tommorow. i am very slim and keep healthy by doing some exercise in the day and have not played computer games for quite some time.

how can i avoid putting on weight when i start playing my new x box games?

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

keep exercising in between playing the game.... or eat less

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2012, 11:47 am

I play a lot of video games but I do so while sitting on an exercise ball or standing. I find that standing up while playing first-person shooters makes the gameplay more fun for me.

I started doing this because a lower back injury prevented me from sitting comfortably for long periods of time.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 11:49 am

ghostar how many hours should i play video games for a day? maybe 3 hours?

there is so much great stuff on tv as well so i don't want too let video games take over my life as much as i enjoy playing them :)

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2012, 11:55 am

I would say play as much as you want unless it starts interfering with other parts of your life that you usually enjoy.

I tend to get into streaks where I will play 6+ hours per day for a while and then I will force myself to stop. For me, when I realize that I am thinking about my game while I am at work or school or trying to study, then I know I need to cut way back for a while because I am behaving like an addict.

I would say that 3 hours per day is totally reasonable unless you are shirking other responsibilities.

Have fun with your new games!

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 12:04 pm

ghostar the thing is though if get into a pattern of playing too much the pounds will start building up.

also would u agree that because i have ecto-mesmorphic body type so i am not completely immune too putting on weight so i have too be careful.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2012, 12:20 pm

Jamesy, i too have an ecto-mesomorphic body type. I have a good bit of muscle mass but if I am sedentary for very long each day, that muscle turns to flab...especially since I hit 30 a couple of years ago.

I am female so this may not be such a problem for a 22 year old male (I assume you are male...please forgive me if I am incorrect.).

For this reason, I use a standing workstation at my job instead of a sit-down desk, I walk everywhere that i go, and I do the TV-watching/video gaming thing while standing (sometimes hopping up and down but that is a stimming this I suspect) or sitting on the balance ball.

All of these small efforts combined with a gluten-free diet keep my body fat in the 15-20% range which is quite lean for a 31-year old American woman!

If you are caucasian and of northern european descent, I would recommend trying out a gluten free or gluten light diet for a month. It helps my mood stability and reduces stimming behaviours significantly. In addition, I can literally eat anything I want as long as I avoid gluten and my body fat stays really low.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 12:33 pm

yeah i am male lol. also i have a good bit of muscle mass that i maintain by doing pushups and walking

ghostar one more question... the problem with the gluten free diet is that means i will have too exclude food liek bread which help me maintain my weight and there is a danger that will become too light in weight if i exclude these types of food.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2012, 1:05 pm

Ah yes, keeping weight ON can be a problem if one avoids gluten. I am doubly hindered by this since I am also a vegetarian.

I keep weight on by combining gluten-free grains like oats i.e. oatmeal with things like peanut butter or wild rice and lentils.

I also consume a lot of avocado, coconut oil and eggs. If you like potatoes of any kind, eating those will definitely keep your weight up and they are cheap (that's what I love about the peanut butter-oatmeal combo too) pretty much all over the world.

Even so, I admit that it is tough to avoid getting too light. As it is, I hover right around 105 lbs at 5'2" tall. I have to buy my clothes in the kids' section. lol

At the end of the day, however, I think Aspies with our body type simply must get some exercise everyday or suffer from unmanageable weight flucuations. I have never met an Aspie with my build (male or female) that did not have to watch their diet and exercise levels militantly. It helps when fitness is one's special interest...it is not mine. lol

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2012, 1:07 pm

Also, there are lots and lots of gluten-intolerant people in your area so I bet London has some really good gluten-free bakeries. GF breads can be super delicious but they cost a lot more than regular bread. Just an fyi.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 2:20 pm

What I'd say to do is, work/school aside, work out and do outdoor activities during the day, and then at night time, play video games until it's time for bed. That and don't eat a bag of chips whilst playing video games. But try to occupy your daytime with physical stuff, then past 9PMish, play video games. For me, my gym closes 9-10 most days, so my usual thing is, if I'm feeling up to it and I'm not bored, I'll go to the gym, and then obviously after that time, I can't go to the gym, that and it's cold out and I can't reasonably like, go for a hike or something, so that time later at night is a good time for video games.

As for amount of time played, the only advice is don't play so long that you lose sleep over it. But yeah, main point is fill your daytime up with physical activities, and sorta don't play video games when it's a perfectly nice day out, obviously too, going with the night time thing, if it's pouring out, obviously it's a decent excuse to play video games.

The other thing, I've gotten a bit more "obsessed" with working out than video games in a lot of ways. Like, weightlifting for me is easy to treat like a video game, in that you're always trying to beat your score, and set new maximums. Then for hiking, finding new stuff, hiking feels a bit like playing Zelda or Fallout to me, except without me having to fight stuff, but the exploration aspect is the same. So, if you can make your physical activity "video game-like" then that'd be even better.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 10:56 pm

Jamesy wrote:
ghostar the thing is though if get into a pattern of playing too much the pounds will start building up.

So don't get into a pattern of playing too much. Limit your time on them. Use a timer or something to remind yourself to stop. Schedule exercise breaks.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

Don't play all the time. Play only in the evening after you are finished with all your chores/schoolwork/job and after you have done whatever other daily exercise and hygeine things you have to do.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 11:36 am

Another thing I do is forbid myself from eating anything with calories while I am playing video games. My thinking is that if the game isn't fun enough to entertain me without snacking at the same time, then maybe I shouldn't be playing it so much. :D