Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Aoibh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2012, 1:38 pm

I've read Aspergirls and I love it! It really describes me and exactly how I feel and how to find ways to deal with that. It's been my saviour.

Weeverson412
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

this book is the most amazing and helpful book I have ever read.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 12:09 am

My mum works at a school and one of her colleagues bought that book to put in the library. Mum gave it to me to have a look at. It is a good book. I think it will be good for parents to look at (which is what they bought it for),

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 5:18 pm

ButterflyLady wrote:
I just finished reading this book and was amazed at how much Rudy and the other Aspergirls had in common with how i am. next i am going to be giving this book to my mom for her to read, perhaps it will help her to understand me better and being more understanding of some of the things i say and do that aggravate her to no end.

Thats exactly what I did after I read it! It really helped open up conversation with my mom.

I also really liked Pretending To Be Normal by Liane Holliday Willey. If you haven't read it, I say give it a try.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 5:05 am

Pretending to be normal is also a good book. My parents bought that when I was first diagnosed.

ButterflyLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2012, 12:46 pm

Nymeria8 wrote:
ButterflyLady wrote:
I just finished reading this book and was amazed at how much Rudy and the other Aspergirls had in common with how i am. next i am going to be giving this book to my mom for her to read, perhaps it will help her to understand me better and being more understanding of some of the things i say and do that aggravate her to no end.

Thats exactly what I did after I read it! It really helped open up conversation with my mom.

I also really liked Pretending To Be Normal by Liane Holliday Willey. If you haven't read it, I say give it a try.

ah ok, i'll have to check out that book too. thanks for telling me about that book.

EDIT: my mom has barely gotten through the first few pages, where as me i couldn't put it down.

You are very likely an Aspie

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 5:30 pm

ButterflyLady wrote:
Nymeria8 wrote:
ButterflyLady wrote:

ah ok, i'll have to check out that book too. thanks for telling me about that book.

EDIT: my mom has barely gotten through the first few pages, where as me i couldn't put it down.

I know exactly what you mean. I have read 6 books cover to cover an my mom has made it through 2. I read Pretending to be Normal in 4 hrs.

I asked my mom about it. She said it made her feel sad and guilty. Like she had failed as a parent. I hadn't even thought about that part as I don't have children of my own.

For me the books were energizing. It was as if I had a new vocabulary with which to understand the world.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 3:30 pm

It's weird how Aspergirls didn't help me with anything. I feel like it doesn't help with the problems I'm going through. Is that bad?

Mitsuki wrote:
Anyone read Rudy Simone's Aspergirls? I read it and thought it was brilliant. A lot of the chapters covered things which I have had difficulty with and other chapters meant I considered things I hadn't previously. Her book pretty much spelt out Aspergers to me and as a result I was able to push to get my diagnosis. If I hadn't read this book I may have just got my ADD diagnosis and always wondered what my "something different about me" thing was.

I can't wait for her new book 22 Things a Woman with Aspergers wants her partner to know. I am ordering 2 copies, one for me and one for my boyfriend.

Anyone read Aspergers on the Job?

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 3:33 pm

I feel bad because it doesn't really describe me at all. Does that mean I'm not Autistic?

MusicMama wrote:
This was the very first book written about women that I have related to. Ever. I've flipped through books like "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus" and I thought it was a bunch of poorly conceived drivel because I'm nothing at all like how those sorts of books describe women. I'm nothing at all like how any marriage seminars or self-help books describe women either.

So, reading it was good if only to let me know that I'm not some lone freak. There are other women who are somewhat like I am!! ! :)

ButterflyLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2012, 11:56 pm

Nymeria8 wrote:
ButterflyLady wrote:
Nymeria8 wrote:
ButterflyLady wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. I have read 6 books cover to cover an my mom has made it through 2. I read Pretending to be Normal in 4 hrs.

I asked my mom about it. She said it made her feel sad and guilty. Like she had failed as a parent. I hadn't even thought about that part as I don't have children of my own.

For me the books were energizing. It was as if I had a new vocabulary with which to understand the world.

I am a slow reader but Aspergirls is one book i raced through. she has had it for over a month and hasn't really shown any interest in reading it. i was wanting to be able to read it again before i had to return it to the library, guess i'll just have to check it out again after she finally gets through it (if she finishes it).

indiana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2012, 7:50 am

I'm another one who found this book energising - and life enhancing. I read it soon after I'd won a conderable battle to find out if I have AS - and subsequently confirmation that I do - and Aspergirls made me feel good about myself, especially knowing there were others like me - I wasn't just some weird (possibly insane) oddity.

There's so much negativity about the condition that it's really good to get a positive slant.

ButterflyLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2012, 12:13 am

So i wrote a note to my mom about my feelings and mentioned this book (since i can't seem to verbalize it without us getting into a fight) Her reading this book is like reading something for work because she's a nurse, which is why she hadn't read it and after i mentioned it in the book she picked up again (perhaps because she felt guilty, not sure though)

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 2:50 am

I thought it was brilliant- it was the first book I'd read about AS from a recommendation by the psychologist I was seeing and it was honestly the most amazing thing I'd read, could relate to it so much. I've lent it to my mum atm so she can read it, should hopefully help since my mum doesn't really understand what AS is.

selin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2015, 10:52 am

goofygoobers wrote:
I feel bad because it doesn't really describe me at all. Does that mean I'm not Autistic?

MusicMama wrote:
This was the very first book written about women that I have related to. Ever. I've flipped through books like "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus" and I thought it was a bunch of poorly conceived drivel because I'm nothing at all like how those sorts of books describe women. I'm nothing at all like how any marriage seminars or self-help books describe women either.

So, reading it was good if only to let me know that I'm not some lone freak. There are other women who are somewhat like I am!! ! :)

It could mean you're not but it could also mean that you don't fit the "female" profile of Aspergers. Have you thought about why you don't relate to it?