Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 4:12 am

As a group, surfers are similar to bikers, except PDD expression has a much higher ratio of ASD compared to the bikers. Drug use is similar, but antisocial behaviours such as violence and Machiavellian schemes are much less with surfers than with the bikers.

My surfing beach has its small crew of guys who are nearly always alone, and not socially adept. (me)

I'm not saying everyone involved with these groups is this way, just a higher proportion than joe public. Same with musicians artists etc. But being milder, they struggle on as best they can without ever being considered as with disorder

I'm sitting in a large cafe now, and have been out for dinner and to a club earlier in the evening. I stare at a lot of people every day...

Last edited by Surfman on 15 Feb 2012, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 4:55 am

I like the idea of a subculture forming naturally out of individuals with dominant-neanderthal genetics (thats in no way a slur).

One of the ASD/neanderthal traits thats at odds with the biker lifestyle seems to be hypersensitivity though - motorcycle engines are louder than hell! I cant watch 'sons of anarchy' without a volume limiter plugin.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 5:11 am

psych wrote:
I like the idea of a subculture forming naturally out of individuals with dominant-neanderthal genetics (thats in no way a slur).

One of the ASD/neanderthal traits thats at odds with the biker lifestyle seems to be hypersensitivity though - motorcycle engines are louder than hell! I cant watch 'sons of anarchy' without a volume limiter plugin.

yeah! mostly ADHD in gangs, the violence and intimidation, unwritten rules etc, would all be way too much for an aspie.

Some solitary bikers who never passed initiation into a gang for being, well, not tough or street smart enough, are more likely to express an ASD

In general though, bikers tend to be surly, gruff and men of few words. Poor employment, addictions, depression and overweight tend to be common.

Time to review stereotypes..... these are sometimes 'our' people

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 6:49 am

psych wrote:

You mean military buffs and the cops?Image

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 8:25 am

we are not aloneImage

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 11:35 am

Hi,

I'm from the UK and I ridden bikes on and off for thirty years. I 'off' at the moment but coincidental to your research I've got the urge to get back on a bike and start riding again. I'm eyeing-up a small Italian middleweight, a Moto Guzzi V50 classic. It's been so long since I had anything to do with bikers culture that I'm not sure it's would be relevant to your research.

You have some relevant observations.

1. I think in hardcore bikers there's an anthropomorphism of their machines; Iron horses,-like an attachment,bond, as if to an animal . -You can speil bikefact and others are interested and I can recall all the bike facts about 80's bikes, so this is a environment where it would be of value and interest.

2. You have the Outsiders/subculture but within that strict conformity to rules of the subculture, strong collective identity ( yes I've had a 'kicking' when I was younger my fault btw)

3. Not sure if I would want to join a club at my age because I like my independence and clubs have hierarchies and you have to do stuff and play a lot of social games to gain acceptance ,and would you be any better off in such a narrow identity slot being told what to do? I think I'd rather ride and socialize from a distance. Also I like a fine balance of mind so I don't drink much ever and drugs are a n- no now.

4. Do younger Aspies dream there is an ideal group they will fit into, out there?

5. I don't like being' bad' and intimidating but I can understand those that do.

Hope that is helpful.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 4:14 pm

hey bro, i was wondering wot youse been up to?
Its an honour for me to have you post after such a long time. Image

Thanks for the anthropological viewpoints! Last week I was reading the wiki on henchman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henchman

.............Henchman referred originally to one who attended on a horse for his employer, that is, a horse groom. Hence, like constable and marshal, also originally stable staff, henchman became the title of a subordinate official in a royal court or noble household. It is now used to generally describe any person with subordinate status derisively, while most often used specifically to a hired guard or minion of a villain or master criminal...............

dots started connecting in a few other areas too......cagers are encased in metal, shielded from the ionosphere... the sensory stimulation from leaning into a turn... the non peer special interest with an inanimate object....

I'm a v twin fan too, love the twisty torque and vibrations. I ride almost everyday, last 18 years. For a new bike a Guzzi or Ducati would be me too. I've lots of had Citroen's, but French bikes are always mopeds!

Summers coming, if you take the plunge, ride safe and be well good man. Times have changed, and as the hippie commune is now the 'ecovillage', a certain allowable distance between members has emerged in biker culture

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 5:27 pm

Hey ,

Where have I been? I got SI'd in some stuff in the Uk.- You know your quote about Nazis, well there's some serious anti-disabled sh*t starting up in the UK media. I ran into this Aspie guy Arac in a national newspaper forum who is fighting like hell to redress it so I stuck around to give him some back up. Most are NT's and they are okay, but just once on a while you need to have a break and be with your own kind.

So, you figuring they gave one of our guys a very specific role and a title' in this period of history- Henchman' ?- wonder what other roles we got into throughout history if that is the case?

'Cages' ,haven't heard that for years,but reappraised ,so many layers and meanings in one word.

Cornering and the being 'concentratedly' alive in the intensity of riding, where the senses are subsumed into working together as one unit of that aliveness and we come through the experience refreshed and more connected to the world, for a while---what disconnects us bro, if this is what we need to rejoin to it?

Cages, I need to think more about that word again. Balance, concentration, surge -cage is the opposite of the' surge', I guess.

Back soon.

are