What percentage of Aspie women get married?

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 3:17 am

i once dug up a study that compared rates of marriage between men with a disability and women with a disability, and it was found that women with a disability are in fact less likely to marry. that study included both physical and intellectual and other disabilities, so i don't think it could be an accurate indicator when talking about ASDs in particular. but it does at least serve as a reminder that the ideas we assume to be true might be quite far off-base (i.e. that women who are "different" in some way are still likely to marry).

Tim_Tex wrote:
I don't think an actual percentage has been calculated, but there are so many factors in how people with AS get relationships.

Both male and female Aspies have to do some amount of work to gain a relationship. And these threads seem to assume that people will just go out with the first person who shows them any sort of attention (in other words, the differences between gaining a partner and maintaining the relationship once it's established). They also imply that female Aspies just have to "sit back and look pretty"--total bullcrap. And it doesn't say anything about the partner's motives (actual relationship vs. ulterior motives).

this is a fantastic post, Tim_Tex. it was an awesome read and i completely agree.